Moving Lie

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Moving Lie

Postby colombo117 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey guys,
I have a question regarding the movement of a mini marker by uncontrollable forces. Lets say my shot lands on the side of a hill or some slight incline with loose sand or leaves. I place my marker and proceed to put my foot behind the marker. As I step behind the marker my foot causes some of the loose sand or leaves to move the marker down the side of the hill. Is there a penalty for this? Do I just stand where I have planted my foot and throw from there? Or can I move my foot to the new lie that my marker has slid to?
I have this happen to me a lot and my buddies and I were talking about it and what would happen in a tournament. We did not know. Thanks.

Colombo
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Re: Moving Lie

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Just replace the marker with no penalty: 803.07B
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:04 am

If the marker moves more than 2 feet it's mandatory euthanasia.

Seriously, though, some holes have just the right combination of variables where the marker won't stay put no matter what. It would be nice to see a mini with cleats.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:50 am

I bet that'd feel good to carry in your pocket... :?
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Roc

Postby black udder » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Just replace the marker with no penalty: 803.07B

Because I haven't said it lately, Chuck, thanks so much for visiting here with your encompassing knowledge of rules and fair play. While we can all go to a book and look something up, sometimes you just don't know what to think for sure and you've consistently helped set people on the path to consistent fair play. Thank a bunch!
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mark12b » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm

the "ruleschool" page discussing this is good. pictures are helpful.

http://www.pdga.com/interference-rule
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Almost every course I have played at has such tall grass/overall vegetation, that it's often impossible to just place the marker on the ground so that it'll just lie there neatly. It's almost always dangling and will move when you put your foot behind it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JimW » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:31 pm

jubuttib wrote:Almost every course I have played at has such tall grass/overall vegetation, that it's often impossible to just place the marker on the ground so that it'll just lie there neatly. It's almost always dangling and will move when you put your foot behind it.

Something I've seen plenty of people do that alleviates that problem is to take the disc you're picking up after marking and place it covering the front half of the mini so that the weight holds it in place.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:59 pm

JimW wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Almost every course I have played at has such tall grass/overall vegetation, that it's often impossible to just place the marker on the ground so that it'll just lie there neatly. It's almost always dangling and will move when you put your foot behind it.

Something I've seen plenty of people do that alleviates that problem is to take the disc you're picking up after marking and place it covering the front half of the mini so that the weight holds it in place.

If you're going that way, I'd just rather use the disc I'm picking up as the marker. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to Rules Discussion