Tuning a disc

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Tuning a disc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri May 21, 2010 8:18 am

I'm going to see if I can get some pics of the 2 Epics my buddy carries. Trust me, there's no way "normal wear and tear" could ever make discs look like this.

The Epic is specifically designed to be tuned and was PDGA Approved (now grandfathered) with the Tech Standards guys (before my time) knowing that was the nature of the product. So it would be legal under the rules to tune the disc per manufacturer instructions. If tuning was against the rules, a statement would have been made by Tech Standards excluding that if it were not going to be allowed.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 am

So post-manufacturer modifications are allowed if the disc is intended to me modified after manufacturing?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby veganray » Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

So are you saying you believe it is legal to tune an Epic, but no other disc? Just because Aerobie includes tuning instructions in the disc's packaging? That is absolutely ridiculous.

Sounds like an attempt to start a wild goose chase. Call me Nostradamus.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Timko » Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 am

Who's on the committee for revising the rules for the 2011 release?
Timko

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri May 21, 2010 9:44 am

A couple of guys around here bend their discs before throwing but don't do it to tune them. They do it when they are nervous and/or trying to make an important shot. Can I call them out on tuning their discs?

Serious question.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 am

Who's on the committee for revising the rules for the 2011 release?

Conrad Damon (Chair), Dr Rick Voakes, Harold Duvall, Shawn Sinclair, Peter Bygde, Jim Garnett.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby veganray » Fri May 21, 2010 10:04 am

Frank Delicious wrote:A couple of guys around here bend their discs before throwing but don't do it to tune them. They do it when they are nervous and/or trying to make an important shot. Can I call them out on tuning their discs?

Serious question.

If if could be demonstrated that their bending altered the original flight characteristics of the disc, they are in violation. No mention of intent in the rule.

It could be a potentially devastating psychological play, giving the already-nervous player yet one more thing to worry about when faced with a 'pressure' shot.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 am

veganray wrote:It could be a potentially devastating psychological play, giving the already-nervous player yet one more thing to worry about when faced with a 'pressure' shot.

That is pretty much what I was thinking.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby MR. WICK » Fri May 21, 2010 11:03 am

If bending a disc = tuning then all bending = tuning no matter how small it is. Even a small bend or knick can alter the characteristics, the rule doesn't specify how small or large the modification needs to be. Could be a little flex in the hand with your putter...or a big huge crease in an epic. It's all the same thing, so yeah you can call them on it if you are willing to do that.

Is it ok to bend a disc back after you hit a tree with it? If it is tuning should be legal too. Bending the disc back is altering it's flight, it's imposible to return a disc to it's "original" flight characteristics. So after that tree hit and bend back...that's a tuned disc and by the rule illegal for play.

It's a real slippery slope if you want to start calling out people for bending epics or any other disc for that matter. More trouble than it's worth. Plus there is no way to prove that a disc is altered (unless you see someone do it), and virtually no way to enforce it. People have attempted to say I was tuning an epic on the tee before. It doesn't work.

Why is it illegal to tune anyway? you still have to throw the disc properly to succeed.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Yehosha » Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 am

veganray wrote:Knowing that, I could choose to try to prove which disc(s) you have cheated with & attempt to apply the appropriate penalty, or I could just work you so unmercifully (and believe you me, I can work with the all-time legends) that the effective net penalty would be way more than two throws. Or you could remove the illegal discs from your bag before play begins. It'd really be up to you.

Katana, Doss Surge, Z Surge SS, Avenger SS, Stalker, Buzzz, Ion
Yehosha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby veganray » Fri May 21, 2010 11:35 am

If vigorously enforcing the rules and trying to find ways within the rules to maximize my probability of winning an event makes me a douchebag, I will gladly wear that moniker with honor. I thank you, dancing badger.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby J2 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 pm

wow...calling someone on "tuning" as they are getting ready for a shot and just fiddling the disc in their hands, with obviously no intent for changing the disc is a dick move. I hope I never play a round with someone that treats the game that way.

edit: I havent actually tuned a disc, but maybe ill try it to speed up turning one of my eagles understable
Last edited by J2 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J2
Noob

Postby veganray » Fri May 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Dick and douchebag. Quite a lovely collection of personal attacks I am amassing for my apparently unreasonable insistence that the folks with whom I play follow the rules.

Anybody else wanna fire in?

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jsw » Fri May 21, 2010 12:11 pm

veganray wrote:Dick and douchebag. Quite a lovely collection of personal attacks I am amassing for my apparently unreasonable insistence that the folks with whom I play follow the rules.

Anybody else wanna fire in?

Sure, I've always thought you were kind of a blow-hard. :D
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Timko » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 pm

Debate. Don't insult.
Timko

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion