Best Shot Scramble and 803.09(B)

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Shot Scramble and 803.09(B)

Postby jenb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:07 am

I've started playing a mini thhat does flip doubles ,best shot scramble, where we choose which of our two lies to use. I am wondering what our options are if we both go OB. I'm assuming we have to pick a disc, but if one of wants to throw from the previous lie, do we both have to? Or can one play from the OB line, and the other retee?

B. A player whose disc is considered out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next shot from:
(1) The previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or, if the marker disc has been moved from an approximate lie, as agreed to by the majority of the group or an official; or (2) A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. This holds true even if the direction takes the
lie closer to the hole; or (3) Within the designated Drop Zone, if provided. These options may be limited by the tournament director as a special condition (see 804.01).
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Best Shot Scramble and 803.09(B)

Postby curt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:47 pm

You would play it the same way you would address anyoher disagreement among players bat which lie is better. If you wouldntlet two players from different in bounds lies, then they wouldn't be able to play from different lies after going out of bounds.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby jenb » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 am

I remember the disc landing in some casual water once. Just a large shallow puddle. And my partner jumped in the puddle and threw from there. But everyone said I could take casual relief if I wanted.

Would it be wrong for one partner to take casual relief in that situation, but not the other? If not, how is that different from choosing to retee?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby Dookville » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:42 pm

When the disc comes to rest and both players decide upon which lie to play, a marker is dropped and both players shoot from that one position. Playing from casual water or not is a decision that you are making after the marker is set. Standing in the water and shooting or not is up to you, you are still playing from that marker. When both discs are thrown out of bounds, both either play from the desinated drop zone, from a safe aproximation point of where the disc left IB, or you re-tee. Once the decision is made it's as if you [placed your marker thus both player will be shooting from that spot.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Return to Rules Discussion