Rating Updates and Division Registrations

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rating Updates and Division Registrations

Postby jenb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:40 pm

I guess this is a rules question.

I just played my first tournemant yesterday, and it was two rounds. My round ratings were 766 and 730. I was using all new discs except for my putter, and I think I will probably do better as soon as I become accustomed to these new discs.

I'm playing another 4 round tournament in mid March, and I want to sign up with my spouse for the intermediate division in a mixed doubles tournament that occurs in April.

The next ratings update is March 29. I don't think it's likely, but if my rating turns out to be above 800, it will be too high for me to compete in intermediate at the mixed doubles championship. But my spouse's rating will not be high enough to go up into advanced masters with me. The mixed doubles tournament in April occurs a little more than two weeks after the update, so the TD will not have the option of letting me play if my rating goes up.

At http://www.pdga.com/announcements/next-ratings-update, the PDGA website says that submissions for the ratings update must be in by March 8th, which is a few days before my next tournament in mid March. Does that mean my round ratings from the mid March tournament will not be taken into account when calculating my rating on March 29? Can I be assured that my rating will be a simple average of only the two rounds I played yesterday (i.e., 748)?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Rating Updates and Division Registrations

Postby mark12b » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Sounds like your first rating will be around 750, yeah. In any case, your spouse can always play advanced masters if he's old enough -- there's no minimum rating for any division.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jenb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I think I got my answer about the late march ratings not being included int he update, so I don't think there will be a problem.

But are you sure there is no minimum rating required for a master's team?

Here is the form. http://dblrdgc.com/images/flyers/tx_mxd ... y_form.pdf

It looks to me like the male teammate is required to have a 935+ and the female is required to have an 800+.

Or does the "req" refer only to the age requirement?
jenb
Tree Magnet

Postby Pironix » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:30 pm

jenb wrote:I think I got my answer about the late march ratings not being included int he update, so I don't think there will be a problem.

But are you sure there is no minimum rating required for a master's team?

Here is the form. http://dblrdgc.com/images/flyers/tx_mxd ... y_form.pdf

It looks to me like the male teammate is required to have a 935+ and the female is required to have an 800+.

Or does the "req" refer only to the age requirement?

The 935 means that if he was rated 935 or above, he's required to play in advanced. It's to keep people with high ratings playing in lower divisions. :D There are no division with minimum ratings requirements. You could play Open if you wanted to do something crazy!
Pironix
Noob

Postby jenb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:56 pm

At what point to results become official? Can results that are still listed as unofficial as of the cutoff date be taken into account in the ratings update?

For example, I noticed that the Feb 22 update did not include any results from 2011. Yet some results from January 2011 are official already, while most after mid January are still listed as unofficial. Meanwhile, the update on March 29 will only take submissions through March 8.

In other words, if my results from February are still listed as unofficial after March 8, will they be used in the update on March 29? What if they "become" official between March 8 and March 29?
jenb
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:31 pm

You'll know by Saturday. If you don't see official results for your event posted by Saturday, your event report didn't get received by the deadline to be processed for March 29th. Any 2011 event with official results posted by Saturday will be in the March 29th update.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Chuck, I played a rated tourney earlier this year, without my membership being current. Will those rounds count toward my rating when I renew my membership, or will they stay off the books forever?
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 am

If the TD included your PDGA number on the report, then you'll get ratings. You just won't be able to see them until you renew, if you haven't yet.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks. Rats, no escaping the truth of an early-season round. :?
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jenb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I got my rating today, and I'm trying to figure out how it was calculated. One thing I noticed is that the ratings assigned to the rounds I played are different than those that were listed in the unofficial results. So here are the round ratings. I'm specifying when the rounds occurred becaseu the notice about the update said that results would have to be in by March 8 to be included. But then the rounds up through March 19 got made official on March 19.

Before March 8:
After March 8 but before March 19:

So the rating I was assigned is 747, but that doesn't match a simple average of the two round ratings from before March 8, which would be 751.5

Nor does it match a simple average of all of the round ratings that became official by March 19, as that would be 745.67

I tried also counting some of the higher ratings twice, and that didn't add up either.

Can anyone explain how the 747 rating was arrived at from those round ratings?
jenb
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:07 pm

A player can only estimate their rating due to rounding. Everyone's round ratings are actually calculated and retained in the PDGA database on a 'per hole' basis for each round because some rounds have more or less than 18 holes. Without being able to know your per hole ratings, you'll sometimes be able to calculate your rating and sometimes miss by a few points since the numbers you use have already been rounded off.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jenb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Oh, so the first two rounds were 18 holes each, and the last four rounds were 15 holes each, leading to the last four rounds being weighted less than the first two. Very interesting. Thank you for the explanation.
jenb
Tree Magnet

Return to Rules Discussion