No Playoffs?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

No Playoffs?

Postby dflaschiii » Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 am

I played a tourney yesterday morning and finished in a 3 way tie for first. Just a local club tourney, small event. The TD announced the players split the cash prize and bag tags would be awarded based on the previous order (since I was lowest before, I got the 3 tag). There was no playoff. The other two guys I tied told me that this is generally accepted practice in all disc golf tourneys and clubs. Another pro said that in tourneys tied players split the cash prize and only do the playoff for the trophy.

It seems against the competitve spirit to not have a meaningful playoff to decide an outright winner, especially in a sport where ties are likely to happen often. Is the disc golf community just cool with splitting cash prizes in the event of ties? I can't imagine this happens at NT events or Worlds right? Gotta say I was pretty dissapointed, I was all pumped to play a sudden death playoff and test my skills under pressure. There was even a real gallery there to watch. It would have been fun. I hate ties!
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Re: No Playoffs?

Postby abcd » Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 am

that's what we do for our wekly singles round. Official tourneys you playoff, sometimes they agree to split the $ beforehand
abcd
Tree Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Sun May 22, 2011 10:43 pm

either way, the players should be informed before they begin play at the players meeting. thats really lame that they dont do playoffs for a big bag tag round. lots of weekly and monthly tourneys do prize splits for ties...but getting bag tags involved should change that paradigm because...come on...all bag tag holders want some ACTION!
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Generally what I've seen is ties for first place involve a playoff unless the players agree to split. Ties for any other position split with no option for playoff.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon May 23, 2011 10:07 pm

PDGA events require a playoff for first with no "official" splitting allowed. If players agree to a split on the side, that's off the record books. The playoff winner will be shown as receiving the full first place prize and it will be reported to the IRS if above $600. So players who decide to split probably should take the difference in tax consequences into account when deciding if the split should be exactly half or a little more for the winner...
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:40 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:Generally what I've seen is ties for first place involve a playoff unless the players agree to split. Ties for any other position split with no option for playoff.

this is what i have experienced, but with bag tags there should be playoffs those are like trophies.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Rules Discussion