I would like to politely discuss discspeed's disc mod

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I would like to politely discuss discspeed's disc mod

Postby Itchy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Yeah, I've hit a lot of stuff that has produced some mangled discs... the worst that comes to mind is a Wizard upshot that landed on a funky brick/placard for a tree planted in honor of somebody who'd passed. It turned 1/3 of the bead into a saw blade looking tear.

What surprised me from that link was, "Bending a disc is okay." That seems like something that wouldn't naturally happen on the course. Discs don't band themselves in half at right angles, do they?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Apothecary » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 am

isobar wrote:That really still doesn't answer the question, as it is still left up to the TD to decide. Then again, there will never be an answer to this as like people have said there is no way to really determine how a disc was broken in, whether it was natural throwing, or manually working it in.

the point of this thread is that its a pretty unenforceable rule...unless youre a dumbass and talked about illegally modding the disc on an open forum. :lol:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:03 am

Itchy wrote:"Bending a disc is okay." That seems like something that wouldn't naturally happen on the course. Discs don't band themselves in half at right angles, do they?

Throw a soft plastic disc into a tree from about 10ft and it'll bend in half.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby isobar » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:48 am

Yeah as for discs bending when they hit a tree, i'm sure a lot more goes on when that happens than a human eye can detect. I'd like to see a slow motion video of a disc being thrown into a wall or something.

I'd imagine it's something similar to a baseball or golf ball being hit, to the naked eye you don't see anything, but watch a slow motion video of it and some crazy stuff happens.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby jenb » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:18 pm

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F

I'd just like to point out that the "wear and tear" merely needs to be "inevitable," not "unintentional." The exception does explicitly apply only to the "wear and tear" from "usage during play." But in a casual round, you can tee off from wherever you want, and throw in any direction you want, and take as many practice throws as you want. And who says you have to be a course? I practice in my yard or a fielde all the time. If I throw a disc during tournament that has wear and tear from such practice, have I broken the rule? Of course not.

So as long as the wear and tear is the result of throwing the disc (as opposed to using a blade or other tool), or does not go beyond "light sanding," such that it is indistinguishable from "normal wear and tear," then I don't see any problem in the player buying a disc between turnament rounds and trowing it straight up in the air in the parking lot several times without catching it, or even running over it with their car (as can occur unintentionally during tournament play if the disc goes OB on the freeway). I mean, seriously, who cares.

But if you whip out a heat gun and a pair of tongs, or a hot plate, boiling pot, and 20 pound free weight, and go to work in front of the TD, or tell him that you modded the disc in that fashion, then you deserve to get penalized. I have a hard time seeing a TD enforce this rule in circumstances other than that, as long as the results modifications don't deviate from the type of wear and tear that we view as normal.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby cfair » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:48 am

I kind of think of it like this. My friend and I play this game where we try to pull off Jurassic Park quotes in every day life. If no one notices you get a point, if anyone catches you then you don't get the point. If someone says the following line they get the point.

So here is what I'm getting at. Apoth has some system of point addition and subtraction based on how people respond to him on forums such as this. I'm beginning to think calling a moderator a Nazi in some fashion really gets his wheel's moving like when I get to use a line by Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum).

I think an close title for Apoth's game is "Ruffle Feathers". He does it rather well, and I applaud his vivacious tenacity. And if anyone is wondering what Apoth gets out this it should be rather clear. Vibram disc golf discs. Loads and loads of vibram disc golf discs.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Booter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:08 am

Mind = blown
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby garublador » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 am

If you can't tell the difference between intentional and unintentional wear or modifications then it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. The rule isn't worded well, but that doesn't and hasn't stopped people from correctly interpreting the spirit of the rule for quite some time now.
garublador
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion