Nervous About First Tournament

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nervous About First Tournament

Postby RebelZero » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:41 am

Hello, all. I'm playing in my first tournament on September 10th and I'm a bit nervous about it. I've been playing quite awhile but I've never been exposed to the tournament style of play. I've only ever played casually with friends.

What are the major differences I can expect? And, are there any rules that tournament newbies usually break because they don't know about them?

Thanks in advance.
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Nervous About First Tournament

Postby Dig It » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am

RebelZero wrote:Hello, all. I'm playing in my first tournament on September 10th and I'm a bit nervous about it. I've been playing quite awhile but I've never been exposed to the tournament style of play. I've only ever played casually with friends.

What are the major differences I can expect? And, are there any rules that tournament newbies usually break because they don't know about them?

Thanks in advance.

You will only be nervous until you get your card, head to your first hole and start meeting the people you'll be playing with. The nerves are there because you don't know what to expect (or expect the worst) but you will hear your name called and when you started introducing yourself to the others on your card your nerves will melt away.

Just focus and pay attention to everything going on around you and you'll do fine and have a great time. You'll find that tournaments have a lot more in common with your casual rounds than you think. You just wont get to tote a cool one or spark a J whenever the spirit moves you. :)
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 am

Lots of newbies talk or move around when others are throwing without thinking about it, some people can get annoyed at this so just try to be quiet during others throws.

That and expect to move way slower than you are used to.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby mickas » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 am

Some of the best advice I ever received was just play each shot for what it is, pretend every shot is your last of the tournament and picture every shot you throw going exactly as planned before releasing the disc.

This will help you keep your focus off of any possibly bad shots previously in the round and having a positive image of the disc flying will help your confidence, the major thing you need to look out for is lack of confidence in a tournament, if you don't think the shot will work it most certainly will not.

Good Luck!
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

remember the mantra "the only shot that matters is the next one" and you should be golden. ;)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Return to Rules Discussion