Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wet concrete tee pads... cheating?

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:32 pm

That would be allowed from the tee. You could use it on the fairway only if you threw from your knee.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:You have the option to put down a towel for better grip during teeing which doesn't impact other players. You are modifying the pad for other players which is changing the course.

Why don't they just put a towel down if they have to tee off after me? That seems only fair.
If you watch fight club backward you see a psychologically troubled man become a successful and productive member of society.
ATL Scott
Noob

Favorite Disc: ching rocs

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:44 pm

They aren't changing the course. You have chosen to change the course that impacts everyone else in your group. Your approach is not in the spirit of the game and is borderline cheating by doing something for a competitive advantage. I carry loppers in my car but have resisted trimming some branches the TD "missed." If you ask the TD for permission to clean the tees before the round by sweeping and wetting each of them down, then that would be okay. But not during the round (the wetting part).
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby veganray » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:19 pm

biscgolf wrote:my partner and i once carried around a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet during a doubles event

Not for increased traction, but because it was less abrasive on the knees.
Last edited by veganray on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Johnny Walker Red » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:28 pm

ATL Scott wrote:Odd, I like to pour water on every concrete tee before I tee off in a tourney. Helps with my footing. Everyone always complains but there's nothing that says I can't.

Wow, that's golden. Quite possible the rudest thing you can do to physically mess with someone and mentally very worky kirky. If that's how you choose to win Shooter Mc Gavin.... then Mr Larson is coming for you.

Now astray from the circus sideshow discussion;

Living in an area of the world that tee pads become a physical hazard to play on, most td's in the winter are more than happy to allow it, especially when the tees are not cleaned well. in the name of safety the TD and the PDGA should encourage it. It might actually save a life.
Johnny Walker Red
Noob

Favorite Disc: NUKE

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Johnny Walker Red wrote:Quite possible the rudest thing you can do

So maybe I should only do it if I'm the last person to tee off? Or maybe accidentally spill my water bottle on the most important holes?

I guess on rainy days I'll make sure to keep the other guys from brushing any excess water off the pad. That'll even things out!
If you watch fight club backward you see a psychologically troubled man become a successful and productive member of society.
ATL Scott
Noob

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:34 pm

veganray wrote:
biscgolf wrote:my partner and i once carried around a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet during a doubles event

Not for increased traction, but because it was less abrasive on the knees.

Jealous much?
ATL Scott
Noob

Postby Johnny Walker Red » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:40 pm

ATL Scott wrote:
Johnny Walker Red wrote:Quite possible the rudest thing you can do

So maybe I should only do it if I'm the last person to tee off? Or maybe accidentally spill my water bottle on the most important holes?

I guess on rainy days I'll make sure to keep the other guys from brushing any excess water off the pad. That'll even things out!

Nice diversionary tactic. Change your name to work city. I happen to like arguing with fools, It makes me feel better about wet pads. Some more maternal than others.
Johnny Walker Red
Noob

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Johnny Walker Red wrote:Nice diversionary tactic.

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.
ATL Scott
Noob

Postby Dogma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 pm

JHern wrote: I've often wanted to swap out the sole of my shoes with a towel-like material for better traction on concrete in the rain.

You want fly fishing boots with felt soles.
They offer the sole by itself too, so I guess you could attach it to other shoes.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Smigles » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:25 pm

ATL Scott wrote:

Diversionary would be going "hey look over there someone just got an ace" and then pouring water all over the pad. But I wouldn't do that, I follow the rules.

This is pure gold :D I have to try that next time I need a reason to lighten up the mood a little bit :D
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby JHern » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Dogma wrote:
JHern wrote: I've often wanted to swap out the sole of my shoes with a towel-like material for better traction on concrete in the rain.

You want fly fishing boots with felt soles.
They offer the sole by itself too, so I guess you could attach it to other shoes.

Yeah, that's the idea. I tried tying a towel around a shoe, just to see if that could work, but it is a little awkward...maybe I just need to figure out the proper way to do it.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby kern9787 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 pm

JHern wrote:Yeah, that's the idea. I tried tying a towel around a shoe, just to see if that could work, but it is a little awkward...maybe I just need to figure out the proper way to do it.

Duct tape. Lots of duct tape. On the top only of course. Gotta leave exposed towel on the bottom.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Johnny Walker Red » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:07 am

ATL Scott wrote:

How would that not be following the rules? You are not breaking any rule... just intentionally working the competition. I applaud this behavior. The more people impervious to idiots the better. Breaking the rules isn't an issue. Takes all kinds to stir a pot. Different stokes for different folks.
Johnny Walker Red
Noob

Postby Star Shark » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:43 am

As to the Avery and Borg teeing off from next to the teepad, this happens sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me if this was at the Memorial as they use rubber mats for a number of the tees. The rubber gets really sticky when it's hot out and can cause too much grip and a wrench of the knee or ankle is quite possible.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion