Falling putt or holed out?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Falling putt or holed out?

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Note that you cannot always run up. But you can always stand and deliver. Thus, the simple logic of learning to throw as far and as accurately as possible with no run up needed. You throw primarily forehand and I throw backhand so that may make a difference. I'm guessing my knees may be in better shape although not necessarily due to disc golf?

The same logic also follows for champs like Barry schultz who have determined that straddle putting is the most logical primary putting stance. You can almost always straddle putt from most locations. In fact you usually have two stance options to the left and right from your mini. There's only one foot forward alignment and you are hindered from doing that many times in the woods.

Haha. This is crazy logic even by Mad Scientist standards. Perhaps I should always throw while sitting on my butt. Because no matter the footing I can always sit down. Perhaps I should learn to throw while blindfolded to be ready for blind holes, darkness or loss of sight.

Disc golf requires adaptability due to the various challenges. So it is not like a free throw in basketball where a player can use just one form because the shot never changes. We have to be able to straddle putt and loft putt and forehand and backhand and roll and overhead and yes, stand-and-deliver, as dictated by the shot. But the odd exception should not dictate the general rule.

For our primary driving form we should develop a form which places the least strain on our bodies and maximizes power and control. Very few players would adopt stand-and-deliver based on this standard. Oh, and very few players actually use stand-and -deliver. More importantly, if we rely on the lessons of the best players stand-and-deliver remains exceptionally rare, including Barry Schultz who uses a run up.

Since putting is the shortest shot it places the least strain on our bodies and so is a weak analogy to driving. Since putting is the hardest and most important shot to master we need to use a primary form which works best for each of us. I'm guessing that if Barry Schultz was a significantly poorer putter from a straddle position then he would only do so when forced by the circumstances.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby veganray » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Yesterday, I was playing the Darkside at the Blockhouse Disc Golf & Country Club. I stepped up to hole #9, a 200-ish foot uphiller through a very tight, heavily-wooded fairway, where I typically throw a gentle stand-and-deliver Gremlin. Walking to the teepad, I thought of this thread, specifically Chuck's endorsement of stand-and-deliver.

Well, any right thinking person would hold the truth self-evident that if Chuck said it, it must be wrong, so I opted for a wee, mincing X-step leading to my throw. Go figure - perfect line, perfect speed, the most minuscule of S-curves to SPLASH! Dead center chains! Mark it "one", Smokey!

So, in the least scientific study in the history of rational thought, the final score is X-Step:1, Crazy Logician/Mad Scientist:0.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:16 pm

I feel like putting specifically is something that you should have a default stance/motion/ritual and practice it often, but also practice from all different looks and angles and throws and i feel the same is true with approaches, its a preference thing and its about being in your comfort zone. Are all shots going to be in your comfort zone? Nope. So then you prepare as best you can for the situations that arent optimal for you.

This discussion isnt any different than a spin putting pro arguing with a push putting pro about which is better and why. When you do something long enough the pro's start to show and the con's are minimised.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Steady 26542 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:01 pm

veganray wrote:Yesterday, I was playing the Darkside at the Blockhouse Disc Golf & Country Club. I stepped up to hole #9, a 200-ish foot uphiller through a very tight, heavily-wooded fairway, where I typically throw a gentle stand-and-deliver Gremlin. Walking to the teepad, I thought of this thread, specifically Chuck's endorsement of stand-and-deliver.

Well, any right thinking person would hold the truth self-evident that if Chuck said it, it must be wrong, so I opted for a wee, mincing X-step leading to my throw. Go figure - perfect line, perfect speed, the most minuscule of S-curves to SPLASH! Dead center chains! Mark it "one", Smokey!

So, in the least scientific study in the history of rational thought, the final score is X-Step:1, Crazy Logician/Mad Scientist:0.

Congrats on the ace!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion