Unplayable lie clarification

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sv: Unplayable lie clarification

Postby catha » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:42 pm

He asked you a question and wanted a clarification. Maybe he already seen the rules and wanted a second opinion and you all behaved like dickheads...
catha
Noob

Re: Sv: Unplayable lie clarification

Postby iacas » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:55 pm

catha wrote:Maybe he already seen the rules and wanted a second opinion and you all behaved like dickheads...

If he had seen the rules he wouldn't have had to ask the question... :?
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Re: Unplayable lie clarification

Postby Leopard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

He ever so smoothly busted knowledge on disc golf's absolute newest know-it-all. Furthermore it was knowledge of the rules, which you chastised the OP for not having. So yeah it's pretty damn funny.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby iacas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:31 am

Leopard wrote:He ever so smoothly busted knowledge on disc golf's absolute newest know-it-all. Furthermore it was knowledge of the rules, which you chastised the OP for not having. So yeah it's pretty damn funny.

If you say so dude. I didn't say I listed every rule pertaining to scoring. I posted a relevant one. He posted another.

If you think I believe I'm a know-it-all then you don't know me very well at all. I know very little about this stuff, and I'm well aware of it but learning more every day. :D Cheers.

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby archimedesjs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:28 pm

For the record, the more pertinent rule was this one in my situation: 804.03.G. After the scorecard is turned in, the total score as recorded shall stand with no appeal, except for the following circumstances:
(1) Penalty throws may be assessed at whatever time the infraction is discovered until the director declares the tournament officially over or all awards have been distributed.

So thank you Fore. As for the question, I asked the TD himself about the situation, and he told me no. He said I would have had to have called the infraction, and wrote it down when recording the scores for that hole. If I wrote down his score on that hole already without including the penalty stroke, it was too late to change it. Yes, it was laziness on my part. I trusted the guy who "seemingly" knew the rules, and I trusted the TD. One was more concerned about winning, than winning fairly, and the other was just not knowledgable on the rules. I've been focusing too much time on becoming a 1000 rated player, and not enough time on learning all the ins, and outs of the rules. It was ignorant on my behalf, and it was a learning experience. It won't happen again.

As for having the rules on my phone, I was in Nockamixon state park, and cell phone service was not great. It took almost 5 minutes for me just to bring up the rule about the unplayable lie. It wasn't all the rules at my disposal , it was the result of googling "unplayable lie", and bringing up the cited reference to it on some random site. I will be keeping a hard copy of the rules in my bag as well from now on. I always just trusted people to do the right thing, and not try to cheat. Yes, I'm ignorant for not knowing the rules, but I'm not a bad human being. If you have to cheat to win, you're scum. Somebody find fault in that statement please, so you can show yourself for just being a dick, and contrary.
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby iacas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 pm

archimedesjs wrote:It won't happen again.

Good! For you, that is - they say in golf that the Rules can help you as often as they hurt you. The Rules are a bit simpler in disc golf at this point but I'm certain there are times knowledge of the rules can help you, too. Or hurt your opponent, as was the case here. :)

archimedesjs wrote:It took almost 5 minutes for me just to bring up the rule about the unplayable lie. It wasn't all the rules at my disposal , it was the result of googling "unplayable lie", and bringing up the cited reference to it on some random site.

You could consider putting a PDF of the Rules on your phone too (if it'll display PDFs), especially if it lets you search PDFs. A hard copy is a good plan too of course.

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby Ryen91 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

MAN LISTEN cant we all get along no need for all the anomoysity just everybody sit back chill and smoke a Bl..........Cigar :think:
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Previous

Return to Rules Discussion