2 meter rule

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2 meter rule

Postby chris86wm » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm

I know that if I disc is stuck in a tree and is 2 meters above the ground its considered OB, but how about this scenario?

I was playing a casual round with a buddy of mine, and on one of his drives, his disc got stuck in a tree (> 2 meters). I then proceeded to take my shot, and we started walking towards the discs. It was a very windy day so the trees were swaying quite a bit. As we were approaching his disc, a big gust of wind caused his disc to fall from the tree. Is the disc still considered to be OB? What if by some weird luck, my disc hit his disc and caused it to fall, would the ruling be any different?
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Re: 2 meter rule

Postby mark12b » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:04 am

chris86wm wrote:I know that if I disc is stuck in a tree and is 2 meters above the ground its considered OB, but how about this scenario?

I was playing a casual round with a buddy of mine, and on one of his drives, his disc got stuck in a tree (> 2 meters). I then proceeded to take my shot, and we started walking towards the discs. It was a very windy day so the trees were swaying quite a bit. As we were approaching his disc, a big gust of wind caused his disc to fall from the tree. Is the disc still considered to be OB? What if by some weird luck, my disc hit his disc and caused it to fall, would the ruling be any different?

see the "Disc knocked out of tree" answer on the pdga q&a page

"It's a lucky break for the golfer whose shot was originally stuck in the tree! He gets to play his disc where it now lies."
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:30 am

Isn't this moot, since they killed the 2 meter rule?
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby rehder » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:08 am

unfortunately not, since the pdga made the 2m rule optional
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 am

Its a lucky break since nature itself caused the disc to not stay at rest. If you had reached the tree before it fell then you would have to at it as ob.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chris86wm » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:08 pm

alright, thanks for clearing that up
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Craig » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:40 pm

I played in a tournament where a guy's throw took a horrible roll out into a road and stopped there. Then, while others were throwing, a car drove over the disc - causing it to stand up and roll back inbounds. I think the TD said that it was OB, as it had come to rest OB before the car moved it.

It made sense to me (although I thought that it was a shame that he had to take the OB after that turn of events). Is this not the same as a disc coming to rest in a tree, though, before being blown out by the wind, or knocked out by another disc?

He ended up in a 5 way tie for 5th, and probably would have taken 4th without the penalty. Difference of at least $50, I'm sure.

Thoughts?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:42 pm

In one case (the road) the disc was at rest OB but on the playing surface. If suspended in a tree, it's not on the playing surface. Now, if the disc was in a tree that was OB, and a deer came along and bumped it knocking the disc out so it rolled back inbounds before the group got to it, then the disc would be inbounds.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:07 pm

That would be considered OB still since something acted to move the disc. The same as if a dog picked a disc up that was lying next to the basket and carried it ob thm you would have to estimate the approximate location of the disc and put it back. But since wind knocked it out of the tree it would be considered not at rest to begin with and you would play it as it lies then on the ground.

Its wierd but that is the explanation that I got from the rule book and from some tds in the area.

The car situation is the same. Imdid however witness a guy do amost the same thing. He threw a roller that went ob but while it was rolling down the road a truck hit it, it went under the truck and then came rolling back in. It was considered in bound because it never came to rest ob.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm afraid you are incorrect regarding the deer, if that's what you were referring to? If the disc is in the tree above 2m before the players get to it, it doesn't matter how it gets knocked down other than direct action by a buddy near the tree or the player such as tossing a water bottle up to knock it down. In fact, if another player's drive visibly knocks the player's disc out of an OB tree, the disc drops to the ground and rolls IB, the disc is IB.

You can read the specifics in the PDGA Rules Q&A here for "Disc Knocked out of Tree" http://www.pdga.com/rules/qa.php
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:45 pm

I would also like to point out that once the disc came to rest in the road, it doesn't matter what acts upon it to make it come back inbounds. For example, if a 50mph gust arises and brings the disc back in, it is still an OB shot.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Return to Rules Discussion