Is this shot OB or not.

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is this shot OB or not.

Postby darktoaster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:50 pm

I was playing today and threw a thumber that drifted to the left and landed in a creek upside down. Some how it didn't immediately fill with water and actually started to float down the creek for about 75 ft upside down. Then it washed up completely onto dry land as the creek narrowed.

Obviously where it ended up is in bounds but it had floated for quite a ways completely surrounded by the water. Is this shot considered to be in bounds? If so this is the most amazing 2 I have ever shot, seeing that I made the putt from the creek bed.

Additionally I think the most amazing thing was that it isn't even a floating disc, it was a max weight Z-Pred.
darktoaster
Noob

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:20 pm

It was OB.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:21 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:It was OB.

If someone didn't witness the disc floating, and they simply found the disc on dry land, would that be in bounds?

Backing up MDR's statement, Rule 803.09

A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the water
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Furthur wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:It was OB.

If someone didn't witness the disc floating, and they simply found the disc on dry land, would that be in bounds?
It would have to be. How could you rule a disc that no one ever saw OB as OB?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby roadkill » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:31 pm

It is not OB if it is resting inbounds when you arrived at the lie.

I see it like the 2 meter rule. When the 2m rule was in effect you could throw a disc into a tree, onto a roof or any other place above 2 meters but not take a penalty if the disc fell to the ground before it was your turn to throw. I remember people purposely walking down the fairway slowly hoping the wind would blow their disc down before they reached their lie.

This is the same deal. It really only matters where your disc lies when it is your turn to throw and you've arrived at your lie. The only exception would be if your group witnessed someone moving your disc: ie. passerby sees disc in street and throws it back to you.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Parks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:03 pm

OB, the rule Furthur posted is pretty clear.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 pm

That's a shame. I guess it's OB as soon as it stops flying after landing in the water. If you didn't see it floating down the creek, then you wouldn't know what happened - it would just be in bounds on the sand. But if you saw it floating, then wherever you saw it, it would be OB and you'd take your stroke and shoot from your nearest legal spot of land.

I guess this would prevent somebody, say, throwing a floating disc that lands in a fast current and floats downstream for 3 miles from having to shoot from where it stops...

Unless you saw it happen, I'd be inclined to guess that the disc "skipped" to that spot of land in some manner you were unable to fathom and thus theorized that it must have floated down the creek - despite the fact that the disc doesn't float.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby readysetstab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:53 am

well, the example used is a creek. but keep in mind that a lot of water OBs are ponds. if you land in water and you're floating, i'd say this rule keeps someone from trying to push their disc to the other side by "making waves" or waiting for the wind to push it accross or something like that. it's fair.
readysetstab
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Rules Discussion