Sidearm Woes - Just Learning

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sidearm Woes - Just Learning

Postby Grinder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm 90% forehand off the tee as I get more distance - although that is only comparing to noodle arm backhand.

Two things REALLY helped me what I was switching. The above mentioned snap. I thought I had snap but when I was looking at good throws bad throws the good ones I really concentrated on that snap at the end.

Also - keep that elbow close to your body.

I still get a little wobble at the start of the throw but I get better elevation and distance and accuracy when I really get a good snap.
Grinder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Patroit

Postby JeLLyStonE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:23 pm

Stringbean wrote:
discraft wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvmePaqMFcQ
This is how I learned. Nothing else worked for me. Wobble means not enough spin which comes from arm moving faster than the wrist. Slow down the arm. The wrist has to move faster than the arm to get rid of the wobble.

I can get a lot of spin but still wobble. I think it is the rotation of my wrist on an uneven plane what is causing the problem.

It can also be that you are using discs with too high of a speed rating for your arm. I can forehand a Katana Blizzard Champion for 400' and it starts with a little wobble, but I can also throw a DX Leopard for 370' and it's a clean rip with no wobble. It just tells me I have more than enough arm for a Leopard and not enough for a Katana. I can get an AvengerSS out 440' though, no wobble. So my distance is achieved with a slower disc than the disc actually rated for 440', due to my ability or lack of ability to properly throw the discs according to their speed rating. High altitude also causes issues, at sea level I think I could throw just about anything, but 6,700' really makes it a challenge to forehand faster discs IMHO.

First post... feel free to ignore me too...
JeLLyStonE
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orc

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am

No, feel free to post away.

I actually have less wobble with higher speed discs. Wraiths are probably the easiest to forehand. When I practice, I use a wide variety of discs, from putters to drivers and understable to overstable. My problem is probably too much wrist extension and not on a level plane. I just need to commit to practicing for an hour or two and I think I will be able to figure it out.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby zeramant86 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Yeah, I'm still a noob to all of this, but I throw 90% FH due to a history in baseball. The biggest things that help me are one make sure you're using an overstable disc. My favorite is a groove, but I use an ape/boss/katana all about the same here. Form wise, keep your elbow in, don't roll your wrist at the end, practice with controlled shots first then build power, and find the right grip for you. I can throw best with a 2 finger, but I get alil more distance with the split finger, when I throw it right. Also, I've seen other former baseball players do a crowhop style throw even that seems to work well.

Watch this, but apply it to disc golf, up through about 1:10. The big thing to note is your elbow should float near your ribs, within 6-8 inches. This is how I think of throwing forehand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocjieTmP08
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:21 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220

This from Blake T for the sidearm bit is superb. It gives you such a simple way of throwing sidearm. Just by sticking this on a horizontal plane you should be able to get good distance then work on adding more body rotation to build on this.

The beauty of Blake's drill is it will stop the wobble and give you a firm basis to work on building the distance.

When you do it properly and feel the bounce at the end it clicks so quickly.

A number of friends over here struggled using the videos Blake posted plus the write up (don;t ask me why i thought his little series was incredibly easy to get, I suspect they didn't bother reading it....) so I made a vid for them putting my own slant on it. Adlibbing as ever I talk some crap in there but a number of people have found it very helpful in increasing their distance but more importantly control. (Hope Blake doesn't mind me having done this :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WC2NUJC_U

My sidearm is incredibly reliable up to about 80 meters with good throws now going over 95 and if i really crank it on an open field over 110 (no control with these at all 1 in 10 will go well the rest would be awful trying to get to this distance) I practise and play pretty much never since a case of Babyitis with another one on the way, but I know going to the course once every 3 or 4 months I can rely on the forehand to immediately fire just by replicating this drill a few times before throwing.
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby Beetard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Thank you Chev Chelios, that makes sense! :mrgreen:
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby rhatton2 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 am

Chev Chelios? :) Happy with that - I've been compared to a lot worse! :wink: