Sidearm vs Backhand or Increasing snap

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm vs Backhand or Increasing snap

Postby coogs » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:35 pm

What can I do to work on increasing the snap of my backhand drives? I knew my sidearm throw was longer than my backhand, but I didn't realize how much further 'til I measured. For golf D, I'm around 325 with a lucky 350 here and there. But I found out that I can consistently hit around 420-440 with a sidearm.

First time I did it was on the course, but I figured they hadn't measured the distance properly so I went to the field and measured out 450'. Time after time I was hitting the range I mentioned and my accuracy always kept me within 40' of my target.

I want to be as proficient with backhand, so what can be done to increase my snap on backhand drives?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby steezo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:58 pm

It depends on what discs you are throwning and what lines you are hitting. I sidearm over stable discs on an annie and produce nice S flights that go 400ft+ But I can only sidearm a straight shot of about 350ft with a stable/understable disc hyzer flip shot. If you are throwing a S flight shot with your sidearm, try the same with your backhand. Look at you mechanics as well. Sidearm is more natrual(hip turn and shoulder rotation) as well as being easier to "hit" a disc with a nose down trajectory. Plus there are tons of topics and articles about snap that are worth reading more than once.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:22 pm

420-440' w/ a sidearm (if accurate) would likely put you as one of the top 50 sidearm throwers in the world, so that being said, chances are your backhand will never eclipse that.

there's about 5 articles on the main page covering throwing farther.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby deaddisc » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:27 am

I cant really help you with backhand snap, but if you throw a forehand like you say then you should go get a star wraith and have fun. I have never had a disc that goes that far consistently with a forehand approach, but I also hear the teerex rips too for forehand.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cschwab » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:58 pm

Anyone know of any articles online covering forehand technique besides the one on this site?
cschwab
Noob

Postby steezo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 pm

if you go to the discraft website they have a video link of forehand techniques. its under resources.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby cschwab » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:26 pm

steezo wrote:if you go to the discraft website they have a video link of forehand techniques. its under resources.

I saw that, its a pretty cool video.

I hurt my back recently and can't really throw backhand for a few weeks at least. So its time to learn forehand.
cschwab
Noob

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:31 pm

That video on discraft is really good. I don't have a super far sidearm, but I'm pretty accurate in the 350-375 range when I've got room to let a disc work. There's a lot of the footwork shown in that video that I've encorperated into my throw with great success.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Return to Technique