multiple grips

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

multiple grips

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 pm

i use a control grip hinging on my middle finger for my pro roc but i use a power grip to drive my wraiths and tl. is this ok? i also use a fan type grip for putting that works real well for turboing for me. does everyone use different grips for different shots/discs?

is it bad that i cant throw my roc well at all with a power grip?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby CincyKeith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:35 pm

is it bad that i cant throw my roc well at all with a power grip?

I used to have the same problem for a long time. I've worked with it until it was finally fixed. Can't tell you what I did different, but I try to imagine having a very smooth form when throwing any midrange shots. Muscle it, and I shank it.

does everyone use different grips for different shots/discs?

I use a power grip for drives and most midrange shots. For finesse shots and putts I switch to a birdie grip.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:54 pm

I use the same grip for all backhand shots except putting where i use a fan grip. I just find it helps with the mentality as i dont second guess myself.

There is nothing wrong with the control grip but it will give you different results. It puts less spin on the disc, hence making the shots more controllable. This is good for approach shots, but i would say that if you want to drive more frequently with putters and mids (which i would recommend if you dont already) then i'd try and learn the power grip, it should give you more distance.
adidadg

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:57 pm

anyone find that they had to position their plant foot a little bit furthur left when driving a roc? (ie it goes a lil more right off my release when i power it) its prolly the understability trying to get out and me anhyzering a little (which i know is bad if you want the roc to go straight)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:47 pm

over torque of your body probably, i used to do the same thing with mine.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:19 pm

I use quite a few grips for different shots (cant tell you what, because I dont consciencly change, but its mostly fan grip, control grip and powergrip)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby didihitatree » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:03 pm

I use two different basic grips. One for driving, one for putting and shorter approaches. I will throw a Roc or MRV either way, depending on the situation. I have no problem with the power grip.

I feel that the fingers on the flight plate gives me a better 'feel' and also prevents cut-throughs and blow-bys. Sometimes you need distance or a skip, sometimes you want to shoot more directly at the hole and stop it.

I've noticed that there are subtle variations in my driving (power) grip depending on the rim of the driver. It's probably the same with everyone, but because I have smallish hands it a bit more pronounced. Smaller rims, I push into the rim. I can't quite wrap my fingers around as well with wider rims.

I DO have trouble with the mondo-wide rim max-d super drivers but it's technique issue with not being able to generate enough power, not a problem with the grip.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:41 pm

it is generally recommended to use more of a slide-oriented grip on approaches/putts, but to use a stronger grip on shots requiring anywhere near the max range for you with a particular disc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:44 pm

are fan and control 'slide'-oriented then?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:55 pm

yes.

the fan can be strong if you use the middle to rip, but if you use the index as a rip, it is a slide grip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 pm

lock-off wrote:anyone find that they had to position their plant foot a little bit furthur left when driving a roc? (ie it goes a lil more right off my release when i power it) its prolly the understability trying to get out and me anhyzering a little (which i know is bad if you want the roc to go straight)
Sounds like you might be leading your throw with your shoulders... loosen up and really get those hips coiling to get your shoulder twisting.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:01 pm

I use a power grip with the pads of my fingers directly on the bead for my 80% power shots and a fanned control grip for 70' and closer. I also use the fanned control grip for a few short holes on the heavily wooded section of one of my home courses (Western Michigan chock-full-o-trees type of course.).
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to Technique