Am i the only one who does this?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Am i the only one who does this?

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:24 am

OK, so 2 days ago i was recovering from a crappy drive when i hyzered my Wizard over a bush and into the basket around 100' away. the second i duced it, it got me thinking.

If i was in an open field, and i went for the basket straight on, i would either fall short, or miss by a mile to the right, because its just not a comfortable shot. yet when i have to hyzer around obstacles i come very close, and sometimes even duce. so basically i have abandoned my straight approaches all together. since then i have found myself throwing a spike hyzer to the basket for everything outside of 50-60' or so, even in an open field. i dont know if anyone else does this, but for me its just much more reliable.

besides drives with my teebirds or buzzes, ive just abandoned my straight game entirely.

am i the only one?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Luckyg71 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:32 am

I do that with my coyote. I make less long shots now but I make alot less bad shots too. I am usually withing 10 or 15 feet now. I lik eit better and I fell more comfortable doint it. I dont know if it is right or not. Ill take 10 pars over 2 birdies, 5 pars, and 3 bogies. I think I just get this shot closer.
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:52 am

i CAN go straight at stuff but i take the hyzer route whenever it is available.

nothing says predictable like making a disc fly the way it wants to fly naturally :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:17 am

I take a hyzer path for my approach shots if possible. If it's too big of an anhyzer I'll throw a sidearm hyzer. If I have to go straight, I'll normally try a small 'S' shot.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:43 am

Although it may be prefereable in ideal conditions, isn't the hyzer route kind of dangerous in strong winds?

Say, for example, there's a strong right-to-left wind. By throwing a hyzer shot you're showing the bottom of the disc to the wind; and thus making it easier for the wind to carry it up, over the basket and off to the left...correct?

In that situation, it seems to me that a hard, low, straight-at-it approach would be more desirable...though this may be the only example.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:09 am

the only reason i avoid the straigt approach is because within 150' i tend to throw very inconsistently on a straight line. for me, hyzer or an S turn is more consistent, but hat dosent make either better. its whats working for me untill i improve on my short straight shots.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:42 pm

sleepy wrote:Say, for example, there's a strong right-to-left wind. By throwing a hyzer shot you're showing the bottom of the disc to the wind; and thus making it easier for the wind to carry it up, over the basket and off to the left...correct?

you could throw a really low hyzer :)

i like hyzers for layups. but if i'm running at the chains from 50' and in i think "throw your arm straight at it... maybe a tad left" (i'm lefty).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm

I throw hyzers whenever it is in range (drives to approaches) not only becase you can make a run at the basket w/ out being too far away if you miss, but similar to what blake said, the hyzer is the most predictable shot, because you take alot of varibles out when you throw a disc in a way it wont turn or flatten. On the hyzer you dont have to predict when the disc will fade or come out of a turn.
Dont become too dependent on it of course, you do have to try to throw striaght and right sometimes too.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 pm

Say, for example, there's a strong right-to-left wind. By throwing a hyzer shot you're showing the bottom of the disc to the wind; and thus making it easier for the wind to carry it up, over the basket and off to the left...correct?

incorrect.

the wind will actually behave like a tail wind on gentle hyzers and knock it down. on steeper angle hyzers it will push it further to the left.
basically, aim farther right.

now think about it if you TURN the disc into the right to left wind (even if by accident), it will behave like a disc turned into a headwind and stay turned/turn more.
Blake_T

Postby sleepy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:59 pm

Blake_T wrote:on steeper angle hyzers it will push it further to the left.

I think this is what I had in mind.

Thanks for the clarification!

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby daevidcardiac » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:47 am

this shot is what a demon is good for.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 am

a demon will flare and get pushed like 100' to the left.
Blake_T

Postby Weebl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:15 am

an understable disc wont be pushed as far left as an overstable disc will in a R-L crosswind (assuming neither gets turned over)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daevidcardiac » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 pm

i meant hyzering around obstacles.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:28 pm

without wind I almost perfer something less stable (definately less stable than a demon) if I want to go way out right and come way out left, especially at shorter range. Something as stable as a demon knifes down, while something like a wizard glides down, meaning getting further around something. (but then again, I love using my pred, because its more easy to judge left right distance w/ the overstable disc)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Technique