Am i the only one who does this?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby dflaschiii » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 pm

I went through a spike hyzer approach stage a few years back when I first started playing, and the spike is still my favorite shot to make. For a long time I didn't think it was possible to throw a golf disc on a straight flat line, I would always look for the big hyzer line, even if it was 50 or 100 feet out of the way, over a giant tree, etc.

This changed when I started throwing an ultimate with my friends every day and concentrating on getting a solid wrist snap, trying to get the ultimate to hold a flat line for the entire flight, getting it to float in the air as long as possible, just generating tons of spin. This helped, and I bought a Classic Roc, which was the first disc I could throw flat for the entire flight (a very underrated disc if you ask me).

Now, even though I'm fairly accurate with them, I only throw spikes when absolutely necessary. I figured the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so less time in the air = less chance for flight to get screwed up by wind.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 pm

i would say the disc's natural gyroscopic tendencies (fading at low speeds) outweighs the shortest distance idea.

being able to throw any shot = the key.

all things equal, the hyzer is the safest shot. somewhere between flat and a knife hyzer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:20 am

I got lost somewhere in here. Are we discussing the accuracy of hyzer vs. straight or hyers in the wind?

When I was first learning, the importance of the straight shot (the guys called it a pike years ago) was empasized to me. At the time I loved to throw annhyzer. I try to take straight paths at the basket when they are available with a stable driver.

Hole 1 on my local course is about 200 feet straight at a basket with trees on either side. Of course wind is a factor here, but i throw straight at it with my buzz. Many throw a firebird/monster/predator/tee/rex/*insert overstable driver here* completely over the tree line and let it hyzer back at the basket.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am

i think we're discussing accuracy of hyzers vs. straight.
blake's saying that since discs like to hyzer naturally, it is a more predictable shot than throwing it straight.
that doesn't mean you should always throw hyzers... whatever works for the situation. gotta know all the shots.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 am

presidio hills wrote:i think we're discussing accuracy of hyzers vs. straight.
blake's saying that since discs like to hyzer naturally, it is a more predictable shot than throwing it straight.
that doesn't mean you should always throw hyzers... whatever works for the situation. gotta know all the shots.

yes this is what we were discussing. and yes a hyzer is more onsistant because the disc dosnt change angles in flight.

yes you should know all the shots, for example I am not going to throw a RHbh hyzer at a basket with an ob creek to the left of the pin, however I will throw a RHFH hyzer at it :lol:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Previous

Return to Technique