Worse technuiqe, better results.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Worse technuiqe, better results.

Postby Soulless » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:35 am

Hi all.
This is my first post here so ill do a short introduction.
Im 23 years old, and have been throwing DG for about 10 years, but ive only been serious about it for the last 2 years. Naturally, the first 8 years of "playful throwing" has given me at least some skill, but when i started reading on technuiqe and instructional articles, i relized my form was far off.
So for 2 years ive been executing the x-step, trying to perfect my reachback, snap and so on.

Okay now onto my question.
Using the proper "ABC" throwing technuiqe when driving has indeed given me slightly better results. I drive a little longer and a little straighter.

Heres the problem.
A few days ago i made a drive using my "oldschool" technuiqe. There is a hint of an x-step, but not properly done. The reachback is much lesser and i suspect there is a hint of a swing rather then pull when throwing.
This drive went further then ive ever thrown before.
So i continued using that driving technuiqe and im driving longer AND more accurate then ever before.

Anyone who has experienced the same thing? And what should i do? Continue practicing my x-step reachback form, or go on using this improper but for me better form?

As final word ill say that with my x-step, long reachback, throwing technuiqe i drive 100 meters IF i get a VERY good throw. Usuly it lands at around 90.
With my old style, i now drive over 100 meter almost every time, usuly around 110 meters.
Soulless
Noob

Re: Worse technuiqe, better results.

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:29 am

Soulless wrote:As final word ill say that with my x-step, long reachback, throwing technuiqe i drive 100 meters IF i get a VERY good throw. Usuly it lands at around 90.
With my old style, i now drive over 100 meter almost every time, usuly around 110 meters.

I do not throw any longer with a "long" reachback. Especially one that makes me straighten my arm. I also found that my weight shift through to the hit is worse with a long pullback, kind of like taking too long of a backswing in ball golf. In stead of pulling back, a lot of the coil seen in stop action pictures is actually the thrower driving forward, and the disc and arm lagging. There is little pullback at all. So, a lot of positions studied that appear to show a long pull back are misleading.

I like this guy:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ster.shtml

Look at the still photos and then watch the video. There is no real sense of a "pull back" in the video, but there is a "lag and whip". If you look at the pictures, it would seem there is a real effort to "pull back", but this is false. The pictures are not as good to follow as the video. Same thing happens in learning a golf swing from pictures and not watching the motion. It can really screw up the reality of the positions.

In the true sense I prefer the bent arm pull back. (again look at Brinster) It is most natural. I also have gravitated toward a more of an natural arc around my body into the finish and less of a straight line pull back and release, which I see over done all the time (the straight back pull taken to extreme).

More can be gained by learning to snap into the torso and legs into the release of the disc, than with a big pull back. You are looking for a smooth BURST of speed with the disc arcing closely to your chest jut the instant before it rips. A long pull back does not help with the BURST of speed.

We cannot all be like Barry...

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ultz.shtml

That is like everyone trying to swing like John Daly.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rehder » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:45 am

Im sorry Bradley, I think Im daft. Could you please elaborate further on the "lag and whip" and "snap into torso and legs"

And as far as I can tell even though it seems that Brinster has a compact swing, there is a frame in the video where his arm looks almost completely stretched out. aka. almost no bend in the arm. What gives?

Thanks
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:43 am

rehder wrote:Im sorry Bradley, I think Im daft. Could you please elaborate further on the "lag and whip" and "snap into torso and legs"

And as far as I can tell even though it seems that Brinster has a compact swing, there is a frame in the video where his arm looks almost completely stretched out. aka. almost no bend in the arm. What gives?

Thanks

True. Sure, he has achieved a long reach back position, but in the video he does not appear to make a big effort to get the disc way behind. What he does do is move his body and snap in front of the disc, leaving the weight of his arm and disc to "lag" beind. Thus, in the static pictures it shows what looks like a massive effort to load into a long pullback.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:48 am

how far are you throwing?

that is the big thing. if you are near the common plateau max or are beyond it in the upper percentiles of distance (425+), then no, it is likely not worth changing anything up.

if you are below the common plateau (~360' consistent), then you have a ways to go before it really becomes difficult to add distance.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby rehder » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:43 am

well 100 meters is 328feet.

So he throws 328 with good form if he has a good throw and 360feet with the bad form.

all the converting back and forth sucks :?
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 pm

ah, read it quickly and bypassed the distance measurements.

to consistently throw 130m, a form change is probably in order.

if you are content with 110m, then it doesn't really matter.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Soulless » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 pm

im gonna try get some movies of the two forms im using and put them up here for you to analyze (and tear apart :twisted: )
Soulless
Noob

Return to Technique