X-Step

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

X-Step

Postby Glock23 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:35 pm

Ok, so I was watching stokleys video and he described the x step in a way I hadn't heard before. Let me see if I can describe it. He said when you take your first step (your right foot) it should be pointed 180 degrees away from your target. This will cause a more powerful throw and you don't have to pivot on that foot. I tried this and it felt very weird, especially when I started to bring my left foot behind. I tried watching videos of the pros on here, but that timing is so fast I couldn't see clearly. Is this what you guys do on your x step? I never have and I am trying to see if I should be. Thanks!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:37 pm

I got a photo that shows the 180 degrees on the right foot, its a horrible pic for action but does show me facing my right foot directly away from my target, the little local paper in my colleges town wanted pictures of college students enjoying the sun. So there was a pic of me a while back in the middle of my x step. The throw was accually pretty crummy. (I was playing a hole I throw a mid, and had already thrown my mid and only had my putter and driver left)
Last edited by Thatdirtykid on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Glock23 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:03 pm

He was saying away from the target, so that your heal is facing the target.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:18 pm

hey gabe, we should play together tomorrow. i got my driving form finally. it just clicked. and i think i might be able to show you how to turn 180 w/no problems. :D

i shot my best game today at arboretum. we didnt cross the street and i finished +3. 2 of the shots i missed for par were real easy too so i know i can shoot even on that side pretty soon. call me again i lost ur number in my recent calls b/c i didnt save it fast enough.

pzz
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:01 pm

I ment away, you will have to see it I geuss, I think I will edit it
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby didihitatree » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:42 pm

I think the key is that if you plant that foot, your body naturally pivots into the full back position. If you don't, you have to pivot (whirl) on that foot which can cause you to get out of balance or have timing issues.

You've got a nice solid base on that foot, and the work of turning is already done. Plus, it helps your aim in that it makes for an easy body checkpoint. Instead of focusing on a target 300 feet away, you focus on your step. You step consistently, follow through the same and every time you plant that foot with the heel in the right place you should get a good throw.

It's kinda like bowling-- you mark your start place, walk straight forward, and aim for a mark on the lane instead of aiming at the headpin. You hit your mark, you will get a strike.

I wish I could do a huge reachback like Stokely, but my timing going forward isn't up to snuff. The loss in accuracy and timing caused by a long reachback offset the advantage. I can't use the foot to aim, but the trade-off is I'm not turning around as much so I can keep my eye on the target the whole time. I think it also cuts down my distance, though.

But I do make sure l plant the foot so I am turned around as far as I'm gonna go and ready to make the release motion, instead of having to pivot on it.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:10 pm

he only teaches the 180 degree placement for pure distance throws.

i don't really recommend this at all for most situations.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Glock23 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:00 am

Would you use it on a long open hole where increased d makes up for lack of accuracy, or is it better to stay consistent in your footing? I much prefer to stay on the balls of my feet and use them to pivot. It feels more natural and I really didn't notice a change in d. The video did help me work through a few things that were holding up my game. There is a benefit of being able to see what everyone talks about. Oh, and I enjoyed his talk on disc selection. He really is a discraft whore. :arrow: "This is the magnet, the best putter ever made, and the one we all use."
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:50 am

keep in mind the stokely technique for long drives is basically teaching you how to throw at elevation. the method he displays is one i call a "pull over" where the disc is forced into a slight diagonal throw from left to right.

accelerating through the rip is still the #1 thing.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique