Wrist roll help

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JKP » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 pm

I dont roll it over on the straddle push putt, but i dont have any distance either
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: KY
Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:30 pm

if you are rolling over then either:

a) you are holding the disc at a greater hyzer angle than you are intending to release it. e.g. holding the left edge of the disc tilted down 30 degrees and then trying to launch it flat.

b) your putting stance has your shoulder orientation pointing to the right. that is, your right shoulder is ahead of your left shoulder.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JKP » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Blake_T wrote:if you are rolling over then either:

a) you are holding the disc at a greater hyzer angle than you are intending to release it. e.g. holding the left edge of the disc tilted down 30 degrees and then trying to launch it flat.

b) your putting stance has your shoulder orientation pointing to the right. that is, your right shoulder is ahead of your left shoulder.



B is the correct answer.. Ive been practicing the spaddled stance and im hitting really well within 20-25 feet. But outside of that i dont have the power to get it there. Should i keep my hand as shown in the picture? Or crank it a 1/4 a turn to add spin?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: KY
Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 pm

adding spin won't add power.

increasing weight shift, height, etc. are what adds power. adding fingers to the rim also increases power. i use index and pinkey on the rim wall, adding more will add more power but make it more difficult to release the disc.

decreasing putter weight also helps in increasing carry.

as for putting, it doesn't really matter what it looks like at the start as long as it looks like the extended wrist position at the finish. spin should not be the emphasis.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby masterbeato » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 pm

with putting I have no idea if I am extending or not.

I can easily tell if I am not fro driving even though I never NOT extend my wrist while driving.

so less pop i am guessing would be the look of it as well as missing left and having it fall out of my hand.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JKP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:09 am

Blake_T wrote:adding spin won't add power.

increasing weight shift, height, etc. are what adds power. adding fingers to the rim also increases power. i use index and pinkey on the rim wall, adding more will add more power but make it more difficult to release the disc.

decreasing putter weight also helps in increasing carry.

as for putting, it doesn't really matter what it looks like at the start as long as it looks like the extended wrist position at the finish. spin should not be the emphasis.


I dont want to go to low of a weight because wind would effect it though right? say 165 is low as i should go? I dont see how spin isnt an important roll?
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: KY
Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:00 am

wind wont affect the flight of the putt if you putt clean. The only thing wind might do, is push the disc more while in your hand, making it feel a little unstable. This has led me to miss putts, but I think its more due to bad putting technique than the light weight. But in my experience if you putt with confidence and power (Im not talking about smashing it in the chains, but if you look at the pros who pitchputt you will see that there is some power in them), then lighter weight shouldnt be an issue.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Discn in northern Europe

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:46 am

I dont want to go to low of a weight because wind would effect it though right? say 165 is low as i should go? I dont see how spin isnt an important roll?


mold is more important than weight to a point. 164 is about the lowest i'd recommend.
spin is only important in a sense that you don't want to put too little or too much on a putt. too much really isn't an issue since you can't spin it more than it "should" but the focus shouldn't be on trying to spin it. similarly the focus shoudln't be on trying to not spin it.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JKP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Main focus is keeping it flat straight, but spins needed.. But more push power
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: KY
Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:50 pm

the way i see it is, i make zero effort to spin the disc, it just so happens to spin by the way i release it. how much spin is on the putter is dictated by how much finger spring you have, how many fingers you have on the rim, and how much rotation around the putter there is when you go from your starting point to the ejection point. if you putt with wrist extension at all, you will have "enough" spin and there's no need to attempt to add more. shifting the center of your grip around the putter towards 12 o'clock will increase spin, but you don't have to try to spin it more to get more spin, it just happens to spin more when your grip starts with more wrist bend.

attempting to add more spin won't really do much except for increasing the # of things that can go wrong during your putt.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JKP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 pm

thanks for the help.. now practice time
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:47 pm
Location: KY
Favorite Disc: vision

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby JHern » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Blake_T wrote:the way i see it is, i make zero effort to spin the disc, it just so happens to spin by the way i release it.


I've had a dramatic improvement recently in my putts by focusing on pushing off the heel of my hand while snapping the wrist open. This little hinge action is all the spin I get and it seems to be plenty. A buddy of mine uses the turbo putt effectively within about 40' and it has no spin at all. With a good clean release pretty much straight forward (and slightly up) and the nose slightly down the disc will just coast right into the basket without fade or anything. If I'm a bit further away and miss it is also OK since the disc hits the ground pretty much flat and stops dead. Only if there are obstacles and such do I have to float it up and hope for the right fade, turn it over, etc..
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby masterbeato » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 am

Blake_T wrote:mold is more important than weight to a point. 164 is about the lowest i'd recommend.
spin is only important in a sense that you don't want to put too little or too much on a putt. too much really isn't an issue since you can't spin it more than it "should" but the focus shouldn't be on trying to spin it. similarly the focus shoudln't be on trying to not spin it.


that alone should have ended the conversation.....

next question...?
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby RustyP » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm

I know this thread was originally about wrist roll problems...so would it be helpful if we started a new thread dedicated solely to teaching/discussing the short-arm pitch putt?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Lorch Park, doing sign-ups...
Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: Wrist roll help

Postby disc junkie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm

RustyP wrote:I know this thread was originally about wrist roll problems...so would it be helpful if we started a new thread dedicated solely to teaching/discussing the short-arm pitch putt?



To quote my buddy Dragon

"YEP"
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J
User avatar
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 am
Location: aUsTiN, tEjAs

Previous

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests