Plant foot question

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Plant foot question

Postby S Brown » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:51 pm

I have noticed that I have been able to increase my distance and accuracy when my hips rotate/follow thorugh fully on throws. My problem seems to be that my right foot (rhbh) is "glued" into position. Thuis seems to hinder proper rotation/follow through.

I have wathched the videos and seen the better players at my course, and they all seem to spin, or relaese the plant foot to allow for a more effective follow through.

One of the pros at our park said I need to try to be lighter on my feet. I wasn't sure if that was an insult or a compliment :lol: .

I am sure that if I can relaese my plant foot properly, I will be able to gain a few extra feet as well as accuracy.

All suggestions/input wlecome.

Thanx

SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby didihitatree » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm

While you're waiting on the real experts to reply to this thread, try a messageboard search. I think Blake posted once that he instructs people to finish with their left foot in front of their right-- basically a 180.

I used to plant real hard and pivot on my right foot but not really move my left, so the right foot stayed in front. At some point I started stepping through and ending with the left foot in front (I also know people who spin more than that). It wasn't something I worked on though, it just felt natural as momentum just carries me through.

I tend to be a a quick-ish run-up guy-- not as fast as some, but fairly fast. But I also know people who take a full turn at their X-step and crank back reeeaaal slow. They still explode into their shot and step through, though. So I guess it's really on that last step where you might have to be fast/light on your feet.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby steezo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:11 pm

If you are starting your throw (the part that comes right after the reach back) before your front plant foot is down, then you will cause your foot to stay planted because you body (leg and foot) is compensating for the foward momentum of your body. Make sure your front plant foot is down before you start your throw (pull through). That way you momentum will contunie around your body instead of into the ground. I spin on the ball of my plant foot sometimes or I just open the positon of my plant foot. Where as 90% and father back from the target is closed-try to plant your foot open with a 45% postion until you get the hang of it. Make sure you are not torquing the disc as well. Also pratice throwing without any steps. It'll come around easier that way.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:35 am

jamming the pivot foot is often related to not getting your weight forward.

no pivot = potential knee injury.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby S Brown » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:18 pm

Gents-

Thanks! Today I had a chance to throw a couple in the field, and it seems like the smaller my steps are during my 3 step "x", the fuller the turn w/o any locking of the plant foot. Didn't really have a chance to practice anyting more than putting today.

My problems always seem to go back to beginning the throw before my forward foot is planted.

Two more questions: What does it mean to have the weght forward? :
When does the reach back really begin, and how do you know if you are/aren't extending to much/not enough?

I think that techincally gets me to five more ?'s, but ....
SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby steezo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:47 pm

Go to the throw analysis and look at steve brinkster. 4th picture down shows the farthest point of the reach back and his front plant foot. Then as he starts to pull the disc past his chest, you can see his weight is forward. Look at nate doss as well. They don't start their pull (throw) until their front plant foot is down and they finish with their weight forward. They aren't finishing with an arch in their back. If you get your weight forward but don't pivot you'll fall on your face.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:18 am

What does it mean to have the weght forward?

it means your center of gravity is at or in front of your plant foot during the finish.

When does the reach back really begin

doesn't really matter. i have seen people start pre-reached as well as those who don't reach until after the plant foot hits the ground.

how do you know if you are/aren't extending to much/not enough?

if it becomes nearly impossible to get the elbow through before the finish, the reach is too long.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique