2 finger grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2 finger grip

Postby twmccoy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:53 pm

I fooled around with this a little bit recent recently. Basically it is almost a pinch grip using just the index finger and thumb. This grip is hard to throw accurately with, but honestly I get more snap with it than ever before. I started flipping over all sorts of discs. Just today I threw a champion valk across a field that had to have gone about 440'. It was totally mindless too.

Anyone else throw drives with this grip? I just started, but I see huge potential in it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Solty » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:10 pm

i use this grip if i need alot of snap to make the disc turn and cannot throw an annie from where i'm at. Yes...very tough...but i got big ole mitts
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:15 am

two finger grips always have less distance potential than four finger grips.

a two finger grip will exaggerate focus on the rip point, and if it is stronger than your four finger, incorporating the focus back to your normal grip would be recommended.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby dflaschiii » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:06 pm

I've seen one person use only the index and thumb and he throws over 400 ft routinely--he's a former baseball phenom with insanely poweverful wrist and abnormally long fingers. Even more impressive, he doesn't use an x-step, just walks straight at the hole, very little shoulder rotation, just a sick snap--and the guy's 5' 6" 160 lbs at the most. I always wonder how much more distance he could get if he used power grip and x-step, but he's too much of a slacker to practice. I've tested his style and I can't equal his power, and I find it way way WAY less accurate. But still, on a good day he matches me drive for drive and I've been practicing the x-step technique for years.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby KRooster » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:31 am

Wow I was just about to post a question about this. Basically, I had read the "grip it to rip it" article and missed the part about the index finger pressing INTO the inside of the disc rim, I also missed the part about "thumb forward".

So, I went out in a field and practiced with a grip where my index finger was applying pressure UPWARDS so that the first joint in my index finger was pinching the rim of the disc against my thumb. I was throwing way more consistently than ever before, getting a really good snap too.

I've since tried doing exactly what the "grip it to rip it" article says, and I find I'm much less consistent when throwing with 100% power, although really short drives seem easier to control.

So I think the grip I'm best with is a pinch grip but using the other three fingers as lock points (maybe that's what blake means when he says incorporate the focus of the two-finger grip back into the normal grip). Does anyone else have success with such a grip?

Also, does anyone else use more of a pinch grip for 100% power drives, but finds using more of a normal power grip easier when doing 60-70% power drives?
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:39 pm

pinch grips are weaker than rip grips. pinch grips are slide/slilp grips.

if you are performing better w/ a pinch, chances are you have a timing or mechanics problem that limits the performance of a rip grip.

generally, this is accelerating BEFORE the rip and slowing down rather than accelerating THROUGH the rip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: 2 finger grip

Postby koronin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:10 am

This is how I throw, but I'm a beginner and read this was a good technique to learn how to throw. I don't do so hot at the power grip and I play on a course with short holes (all less than 100 meters) so it works out for me pretty well. My problem is on longer holes, I get decent accuracy but lacking distance.

Oh well, practice makes better.

twmccoy wrote:I fooled around with this a little bit recent recently. Basically it is almost a pinch grip using just the index finger and thumb. This grip is hard to throw accurately with, but honestly I get more snap with it than ever before. I started flipping over all sorts of discs. Just today I threw a champion valk across a field that had to have gone about 440'. It was totally mindless too.

Anyone else throw drives with this grip? I just started, but I see huge potential in it.
koronin
Tree Magnet

2 finger grip

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 am

Well, I have since given this grip up and gone back to a four finger power grip. I was just not getting any consistency out of it.

Besides it only worked for understable discs. Wraiths would not fly at all with a 2 finger grip.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby KRooster » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Yeah I gave up on my goofy grip and decided to learn the four finger power grip. I wasn't pulling the disc close enough to my chest, which was probably adding some flutter or grip lock or whatever. I notice that if I actually throw correctly with the power grip, it works fine... so I'll just have to learn to throw consistently correctly :D
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby skyraz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:02 pm

I have use several different gripping techniques but I find that the 2 finger grip gives a lot of snap with less effort. You can still Anne the disc to make it go even farther.
skyraz
Noob

Favorite Disc: esp crush

Postby JR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 am

I get slips that go toward the target but doesn't pivot the disc around the finger tips most of the time. Two fingers or four. 10 % back 90 % front or initially 70 % palm 30 % fingers until the disc starts to move away from the palm then slamming on full pinch power from the index finger and thumb. I get very little pressure down from my thumb. Dave Dunipace says that the thumb pressure determines the strength of the grip. I don't know if i lack muscle power or is it subconscious reduction of effort because clamping down with the thumb stresses my arm injury.

J-La wrote on another forum that he couldn't lift a 25 kg weight with the index finger and the thumb but using all but the pinky it was easy for him. He is a strong guy. He says he can't avoid slips with two finger grip.

Despite the obvious trouble of capping potential the two finger usually is longer for me on average than the four finger power grip. I get more wrist mobility and a better wrist snap with two fingers and think that is the result of added muscle looseness in the forearm. I don't know how different things are for healthy people and couldn't tell about muscle power minimum requirements. Unless i trained extensively with my left arm. YMMV.

I also have trouble stopping the wrist abruptly. 170' putter stand still approaches concentrating solely on stopping the wrist as hard as i could hurt. So i can't tell much to others than to train for themselves and train more. Maybe one day i have enough muscle mass to absorb the vibration and could stop the wrist well enough with full power drives. Then i could possibly learn more and move forward.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique