How do you set up your midrange shot?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How do you set up your midrange shot?

Postby coogs » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:50 am

It looks like there's not any videos on midrange shots in the throw analysis section, so I'm curious as to how you guys throw on these shots.

Do you take one step; are your legs stationary; and any other things I may have missed.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby KRooster » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:46 pm

Well I'm just a beginner, but I spent a lot of time over the last couple weeks trying to figure that out. Some people told me stationary is ok, x-step is ok, whatever is comfortable.

After much testing I've found doing an x-step is most natural for me between 180-240', I just don't grip the disc quite as hard and I don't reach back quite as far. Anything less than 180' I think I do mostly stationary... if it's close to 180', I rotate around my left foot (I think).

I say do whatever works, my short-mid game started out really good and then went to crap when I thought about it too much. Now I don't think about it on the shorter holes, I just try to get the disc where it needs to go, and my short game is back.
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby garublador » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 pm

For me, "midrange" is from about 250'-310' or so and to get my midranges out that far I do a full x-step and drive the same as I would with my drivers. I'll do the same with shots down to about 200', but I'll use a putter instead. Just make sure to get your weight forward, minimize off-axis torque and have a strong follow through. Don't worry about throwing hard, maximizing your reach back or anything that'd you do to get maximum distance.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:32 pm

I used to do a slow x-step into my midrange also. But its gets kinda iffy when say your lie is on a hill or right behind a tree. You are more like to do a foot fault. Not that anyone would really call it in a casual round or anything but in a tourny or tags someone might call it. So i tried to just stand and deliver for a while but it just wasn't working out. So i now stand a step behind the lie and take one step and throw. The one step really helps me rotate my hips and throw a good shot.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby zealot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:14 pm

i use a quicker x step just to get a lil momentum to throw forward with the disc.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:51 pm

i x step whenever there is room, I feel more comfortable and my throws seem much smoother when I take my steps. I also aim with my body so I step in the direction I want the disc to leave my hand.

also did you mean midrange shots, or shots thrown w/ a midrage? If its the latter I throw my midrange for 75% of shots in the 250' to 375' range
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:49 am

lately, i've been just taking one step. it's been working good, gives me just enough momentum to get a shot out, and i can sit there and line it up the same way i do a putt; lots of little adjustments with my feet and body positioning till it feels just right.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby superq » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 am

I dont take an X step when I throw mids off the tee, I use the same footwork, but instead of getting my feet out of line I hop right foot toward the pin then my left foot comes straight to where my right was and I plant, looks like an x step just stays on the same plane, I get just as much body turn, and I feel like I have better allignment.

my.02
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby trogdor » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am

Here's how I categorize my drives, approaches and putts.

Putt - Chest is facing the basket. (Pushing the disc away from body)
Approach - Shoulder facing the basket (Pulling the disc "through" the body), No X step
Drive - Shoulder facing the basket (Pulling the disc "through" the body), X step

On my approaches, I either "Stand and deliver" (with a weight shift of course) or take one step to get a bit more of a weight shift.

On uneven ground, the lack of an X step really helps accuracy.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:15 pm

250' and in I use a stationary throw, no step into it, nothing. I can be deadly accurate this way and have hit metal hard (finesse is something im learning with this technique... slowly) unfortunately they usually are kicked out by the ring or hit the pole and bounce out.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Simon Moon » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:20 am

I usually stand still. I try to get good body rotation when I'm not shooting from behind a tree; I really put my hips into it. Some of my friends use a cross-step, and it seems to work ok for them.

I guess with my mid-range shots, I'm more worried about accuracy than distance. That's why I stand still.
Simon Moon
Noob

Postby Timko » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:05 pm

I rarely use a full run-up and x step when shooting a mid (probably 275 and in), but depending on how tight the shot is that I'm shooting, I either go with a stationary throw with good hip rotation for tighter shots where accuracy is paramount, or a bit of a light "hop step" (maybe what people call a cross step) when I've got some room to work (especially if I've got some height to work with). The hop step is usually used when throwing a hyzer or turnover. I still use an x-step when throwing longer anhyzers, but have to work on slowing down my footwork because I'm prone to have my mechanics break down on that shot.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Return to Technique