Nothin is Working

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nothin is Working

Postby akfrolfer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:21 am

I have been struggling lately with my form so I decided to go up to the local park to do some practicing. I use to be moderately okay with a golf d of about 290-300 with decent accuracy and i could get drives out to 320-330. Well as you can tell from my title the practicing at the park didn't help at all. I didn't throw any over 300, half of the throws went into the ground, the other half a mile high or torqued over hard right. I even managed to throw my nicely broken in dx teebird at a 90 degree grip lock to my right about 250 ft out into a marsh and i will never see it again. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I go about getting my throw back?

I will hopefully get some video of my horrific form tomorrow for my detailed critques.

Thanks
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby OldTyme » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:56 am

I'm in the same boat.

I lost my drive technique & I feel I'm going to go back to square one & rebuild it.
I'm not exactly sure what happened or what I changed but I picked up a hyzer-everything habit & am struggling too get the disc flat.....even if I bend my wrist up I hyzer on the release.

Blake had a good article on how too build a drive from square 1.

http://discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/mored.shtml
OldTyme
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:01 am

ihad this sort of thing happen to me at the begining of this summer. i just looked at it as a "2 steps foreward, 1 step back" kinda thing. sporting activites have always been you get wrse right before you get better.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:13 pm

suggestions:

slow it down.

throw putters and mids to get your timing/feel.

work on a base set of fundamentals: keep the disc close. relaxed arm. good footwork, etc.

oldtyme: sounds like you are throwing weight back.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:throw putters and mids to get your timing/feel.

I'll second that suggestion. It works really well for me. If I can get my mids and putters flying right my drives just fall into place.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:15 pm

be patient with yourself and your learning process. all those things blake suggested are what helped me get out of my last slump... where i was feeling as you guys were (seemed like a was going no where, and i was trying so hard).

it takes patience and discipline to slow it down, throw mids and putters... all that stuff. so keep in mind your mental state everytime you go to throw, remember to stay relaxed, easy going, smart, patient, disciplined, and you will enjoy throwing.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

rest

Postby twmccoy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:06 pm

Try taking a week off from disc golf, not throwing at all. This may help your body recover and get your head straight.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Technique