Showing Wrist Extension

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Showing Wrist Extension

Postby masterbeato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:53 pm

My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Re: Showing Wrist Extension

Postby Dogma » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:23 pm

Very helpful. Thanks for posting that!
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks for showing it. Now is that something you concentrate on when you drive or does it happen natural? Let the debate begin.

ps. Any chance of a short video on hip pivot and using the lower body to drive the throw?? :wink:
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:31 pm

yeah i can do some vids tonight on anything you want explained.

no i never have to think about wrist extension because i have practiced it. once you learn how to do it, it is hard to undo it!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby bcsst26 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Sweet. Thanks. So when I drive should I concentrate on getting wrist extension or is this something that you should worry about only after you are throwing lets say 400'. Just wandering. If you are up for making more quick videos I am always interested in getting the most out of my lower body as I can. I think most people struggle with this so that would be cool.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:40 pm

okay...looks like you do a full extension. One of the guys around here said that he does that only when he wants to get the maximum out of a disc - meaning to turn it over. Not anhyzer, but I guess power it over. He said that for most shots, the wrist is straight out.

Do you always extend that far?

Also, to extend that far, it would seem to be conscious effort. To extend straight, you just need to pull, the body does the rest. Is it a timing thing to extend that far?

What say you?

and thank you?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

masterbeato wrote:yeah i can do some vids tonight on anything you want explained.

no i never have to think about wrist extension because i have practiced it. once you learn how to do it, it is hard to undo it!

Gotta say, while I have confidence in what I'm doing and my concepts, I much prefer it when somebody throwing over 400' does it. It's hard to say "Listen to me, I know what I'm doing" when I'm not throwing over 400'... :( so thanks so much for doing the videos.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:45 pm

black udder wrote:
Gotta say, while I have confidence in what I'm doing and my concepts, I much prefer it when somebody throwing over 400' does it. It's hard to say "Listen to me, I know what I'm doing" when I'm not throwing over 400'... :( so thanks so much for doing the videos.

precisely the problem Blake has with teaching people. but fortunately i could see it in his form that he could throw far, even though he does not these days. he can still throw farther than most ams though!

do the right pec drill it helps with wrist extension, so when you are practicing it is important to know where your wrist is, once you get it, you will not be able to undo it. i extend that far yeah.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 pm

If my friend's concept is right (that full extension turns discs over a little) it might be why people don't have issues throwing a teebird. With full wrist extension it might help turn the disc up flat vs just straight extension which, when weight forward, I believe leaves your release a little hyzer.

Will have to give it a shot.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:57 pm

problems turning discs over due to wrist action is not by extending, but is by rolling it over. wrist extension creates a very powerful throw that turns discs over that are not high speed stable but that is due to the power, it is really hard to undo it if it is there. rolling your wrist over will flip anything.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby DiscJay » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:06 pm

bcsst26 wrote:Thanks for showing it. Now is that something you concentrate on when you drive or does it happen natural? Let the debate begin.

ps. Any chance of a short video on hip pivot and using the lower body to drive the throw?? :wink:

Seconded!! I would love to see more on hip pivot. I know that if I can add that to my throw that I will be throwing over 400ft.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:22 pm

masterbeato wrote:problems turning discs over due to wrist action is not by extending, but is by rolling it over. wrist extension creates a very powerful throw that turns discs over that are not high speed stable but that is due to the power, it is really hard to undo it if it is there. rolling your wrist over will flip anything.

I guess what I mean is that extending the wrist adds the power to bring the disc up to or over it's cruising speed. Thus, for me, a new 163g dx teebird is still super overstable. I can throw it flat, but I have to throw it (i.e. release it) flat. If I throw it hyzer at all, it just holds that hyzer, no matter how slight. Perhaps is that full wrist extension that helps it get to or over the cruising speed necessary to flip it up to flat. Staying on plane and not incorporating wrist roll would prevent it turning over.

I'd add that I'd like to see you do something on hip rotation so folks will better understand what we're always talking about.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby DiscJay » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:41 pm

My idea of hip pivot/rotation is from watching a baseball player hitting but in a more upright and weight forward posture rather than "weight back" as the baseball swing seems. The hips rotate through before the upper body and arms come through in the baseball swing. Would you say that would be a good analogy?
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby black udder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:18 pm

DiscJay wrote:My idea of hip pivot/rotation is from watching a baseball player hitting but in a more upright and weight forward posture rather than "weight back" as the baseball swing seems. The hips rotate through before the upper body and arms come through in the baseball swing. Would you say that would be a good analogy?

Blake says it's not the same as a baseball swing, but I think that if you can grasp the rotation that you're on the right track. Bottom rotates to power the top rotating. If you imagine swinging a baseball bat without the bottom rotation it's just how some people throw a disc, so you can see how it can add power.

I think if you understand the baseball swing, then you should be able to grasp the disc golf throw easier.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby noah » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Are you pushing with your palm out ?

For example is your forearm extending from the elbow out to shove the disc forward?

I can't wait for the snow to melt. Dan did you get a big storm here recently? We got another foot plus with this last storm.
noah
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique