Decision Making on the Tee or the Lie

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Decision Making on the Tee or the Lie

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Whispering Falls DGC, Greencastle, PA.
Hole 8B, 600ft, par 4.

The first shot, to the bend is around 125ft, 150 to the woods. The foliage is significantly thinner now, but you don't want to be off the trail or your only play is to pitch out, or poke and hope.

From this spot you have another 425ft or so to the pin, all turning to the right and all the same width as here. At the point in the picture where the blue line ends is about where the fairway starts running straight. Again, foliage is thinned out, there is a little more room at the top, which is oh so tempting...

You're standing next to the A pin here, which leaves you another 200+ from B pin. Anything long or right is a putt from the woods.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Bugbee » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Either an XL or a Buzz, probably a Buzz cause I would puss out.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Man, that's a great hole!

Off the tee I have a decently high ceiling, right?

For a 4:
Anhyzer Sabre, Anhyzer Sabre, putter, putter.

For a 3:
Anhyzer Sabre, Turnover Control Driver, putter.

A 3 is wishful thinking on a hole like that though. I'd probably go with the former option.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Furthur wrote:Off the tee I have a decently high ceiling, right?
It is a high ceiling, but the left side is pretty much blocked by the double tree. An anny has to be pretty tight, and flip pretty fast.

My biggest problem on this hole is getting something to turn fast enough that it doesn't go long, but not so fast that it ends up in the near rough. The putter turns too quickly and isn't really long enough, and a Roc/Leo is usually too long.

Furthur wrote:A 3 is wishful thinking on a hole like that though. I'd probably go with the former option.

My usual is Wizard/Wizard/Roc/Putt. I've yet to get a 3. The closest I've been was a Roc that put me almost pin high to A, then a huge X Pred anny that flexed out too late, and left me with a 60 footer.

This is one of the more frustrating holes at WF.
Last edited by ferretdance03 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bugbee » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 pm

What about some flicks?
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Bugbee wrote:What about some flicks?

Not the strongest shot in my bag, but I've seen it used with some success. Again though, you have to have pinpoint range control if you're going for the 3. Too far/short and you're in the rough pitching out.

A flick is probably more likely to get further around the turn than an anny though, at least in the shots I've made/seen.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 pm

I think I'd still throw an anhyzer off the tee, but a RHFH for the 2nd shot would be a great way to set yourself up for a shot at a 3. If you can throw that flick 350' that is.
Timko

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:58 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:My biggest problem on this hole is getting something to turn fast enough that it doesn't go long, but not so fast that it ends up in the near rough. The putter turns too quickly and isn't really long enough, and a Roc/Leo is usually too long.

And that's the reason why I carry a Sabre. It's like a longer wizard. I'd like to thank Matt Hall for telling me that :).
Timko

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Furthur wrote:And that's the reason why I carry a Sabre. It's like a longer wizard. I'd like to thank Matt Hall for telling me that :).

Yeah but can you throw it shorter than a Roc on a line?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm

TeamTollandDG wrote:All right..........Now we are playing the airport hole at pyramids. I get on the tee here a lot and don't know what the hell to do. Most of the time i go buzzz and hope it's dead straight. It's a lot tighter down there than it looks in the picture, go left...or right and you are in trouble. This hole kills a great round sometimes.

I'd go with a flippy driver that I could hyzer flip to flat (for me that's my worn 150g teebird) or a Comet. Considering how narrow and far it is, I just wouldn't be doing myself any favors trying to park it. I'd play for a 4 and evaluate the possibility of a 3 after each shot. Looks like it's one of those holes that you can feel safe coming out with a 4 because you know others will crawl out with a 6 or worse.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Furthur wrote:Man, that's a great hole!

Off the tee I have a decently high ceiling, right?

For a 4:
Anhyzer Sabre, Anhyzer Sabre, putter, putter.

For a 3:
Anhyzer Sabre, Turnover Control Driver, putter.

A 3 is wishful thinking on a hole like that though. I'd probably go with the former option.

Yeah, this looks a lot like what folks are talking about with the development of DG. Not just longer, but holes where you have to hit a spot on the fairway to make par.

I think I'd be looking at a comet or buzz shot with the hopes of getting into the open to drive down to the A position, then putter up to the B pin.

More than likely, what would happen though is I'd throw into the woods on the left first. Pitch out. Throw another shot too far into the trees on the right (at the bend), then try and push through. Then pitch out. Then throw for pin A and release early (or late). Pitch out. Throw an approach shot to Pin A, throw a comet to pin B, then miss the putt and then putt out. That makes... uh... 11. That sounds about right.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:
Furthur wrote:And that's the reason why I carry a Sabre. It's like a longer wizard. I'd like to thank Matt Hall for telling me that :).

Yeah but can you throw it shorter than a Roc on a line?

I can. That's one of the reasons I carry that particular disc. In the S plastic, that disc flies very very straight over a wide range of powers. I carry the E, which has a little more stability, but that just means I can work it a little more. I know people around here like the Gazelle and Cyclone more, but the Sabre has a lot of great qualities.
Timko

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 am

Furthur wrote: I know people around here like the Gazelle and Cyclone more, but the Sabre has a lot of great qualities.

Hmm, I never really related the Sabre to those two discs, maybe because I never threw it enough. The "Longer than a Roc but shorter than a Pred" slot is something I've been feeling weak on lately. I'll have to throw a Sabre back in the bag for some casual rounds.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:36 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
Furthur wrote: I know people around here like the Gazelle and Cyclone more, but the Sabre has a lot of great qualities.

Hmm, I never really related the Sabre to those two discs, maybe because I never threw it enough. The "Longer than a Roc but shorter than a Pred" slot is something I've been feeling weak on lately. I'll have to throw a Sabre back in the bag for some casual rounds.

While the Sabre is definitely more stable than either the Cyclone or the Gazelle, I'd say they're in the same family of discs.
Timko

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:42 am

Holes like this one sometimes make me glad i throw lefty. What i think i would do is go wasp around the bend, or a higher hyzer with a predator if i really want to go a ways around that corner. Then throw a champ teebird or a buzz from there, then putter. Hope to get out of there with a 4. I probably COULD get a three on it but i don't think it's worth going for it with rough like that on both sides
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

PreviousNext

Return to Technique