Decision Making on the Tee or the Lie

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Decision Making on the Tee or the Lie

Postby TheTyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 am

Holes like that make me wish I could throw lefty. I'd probably go buzzz the whole way and then wizard for a 4 unless my first shot left good enough placement for an attempt at 3 with a teebird. This kind of reminds me of hole 15 in the long position at kisco but without the elevation.
TheTyrant
Tree Magnet

Postby Kenja » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 am

black udder wrote:Yeah, this looks a lot like what folks are talking about with the development of DG. Not just longer, but holes where you have to hit a spot on the fairway to make par.

/rant
The first thing that comes to mind on holes like this is 'why isn't the teepad x feet left/right?'
No offense but holes that force you to poke and hope off the tee and then crush a long approach/drive aren't the future. They are D-U-M-B
/rant off
But yeah, everyone's gotta play the same course blah blah blah, I'd meow-flick something around the bend (or try to turn and burn a comet), pray for a good landing spot, then launch an SOLS to the pin. Either that or mash it long into the woods, careen back and forth along the fairway and card a snowman :lol:

Is there enough room for a short thumber? :?:
Kenja
Noob

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:56 am

I wouldn't call that a poke and hope tee shot. There is not much at all in the fairway.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Kenja » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 am

Tru dat, there's no picket fence to throw thru. I meant it more like poke your drive out 125 feet and hope it doesn't go 150 by mistake
Kenja
Noob

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Kenja wrote:/rant
The first thing that comes to mind on holes like this is 'why isn't the teepad x feet left/right?'
No offense but holes that force you to poke and hope off the tee and then crush a long approach/drive aren't the future. They are D-U-M-B
/rant off
Moving the pad left would require a lot of trees to come down, and only change the shot slightly. Moving the pad to the right would make the shot harder, which I assume is a bad thing in your opinion.

Kenja wrote:Is there enough room for a short thumber? :?:
Yup.

Kenja wrote:Tru dat, there's no picket fence to throw thru. I meant it more like poke your drive out 125 feet and hope it doesn't go 150 by mistake
I'll have to take the helicopter out tomorrow and get you a good overhead shot... :roll: There's ample room to land in the fairway. Any shot from 3ft to 200ft is in the fairway, but right around 130 is the sweet spot. Also, the fairway is about 45ft wide the entire length of the hole.

Honestly, I've grown accustomed to people complaining about the difficulty of the course, but I've seen enough high rated players shoot lights out to know that it's not all luck out there. Personally I like the challenge of having to think about shot placement.

Just because I'm on a tee pad doesn't mean I should throw a full power driver.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey FerretDance, are you saying it's really hard to throw 275' on a high anhyzer? If so, I'm going to opt for that 130' wizard shot.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm

The turn is almost too tight to make an anny penetrate that far forward after it turns.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:59 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:The turn is almost too tight to make an anny penetrate that far forward after it turns.

Then I'm probably throwing a putter off the tee then. I still think I'd throw a Sabre over a Roc for my 2nd shot, but that's because I can control the Sabre just as well as I can control a Roc, but I can throw the Sabre farther, especially on an anhyzer when given enough height (which doesn't look like a problem).
Timko

Postby dflaschiii » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Depending on the branches above that are cropped out of the photo, it looks like a forehand spike hyzer off the tee. I'd put it out really high, with as much hyzer as physically possible, with a Firebird or Wraith. With this line I'll try to cut the corner as sharp as I can. Would probably end up doing the same thing on the next shot. Two perfect throws and maybe you have a shot at birdie. Nice hole.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:09 am

ferretdance03 wrote:The turn is almost too tight to make an anny penetrate that far forward after it turns.

Unless you throw lefty :D
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:02 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:

Unless you throw lefty :D

Image I've been practicing some, but it's ugly for sure.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 am

probably as ugly as my righty backhand. Where did you get the middle finger guy from?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 pm

I will never divulge my sources.... click on him.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby taylor714 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 am

I will agree that the 8B hole at the devil's playground ( Whispering Falls ) is ferocious. You don't want to be in the left side rough in the winter, let alone the summer. I had a disc get squirrely on me Saturday and go left into that and it took me 20 minutes to get in, find my disc, and get out. I have numerous battle scars to prove it. Definitely a tough tough hole. I usually go for the safe shots, using a SL, roc, or skeeter to try to keep it on the fairway and save a few strokes. Otherwise, you're adding a few strokes trying to get out of the deep stuff and onto the fairway.

One thing I will say about Whispering falls, I think it's an excellent course, a bit tough, but easy enough that with conservative play, you can have a good time. I've learned to take and extra stroke here and there by throwing safe, short shots, than going for the kill and adding 3 or 4 strokes trying to get back on track.

Once you add a few strokes at Whispering Falls, I think it's quite hard to get them back, ESPECIALLY on the B pin course. That thing is LONG.
taylor714
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eraser Wizard

Postby Timko » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Does someone have a new hole they wish to share for this week's discussion?
Timko

PreviousNext

Return to Technique