Max Distance Downhill

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Max Distance Downhill

Postby GetMuddy350 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:30 am

What lines would you recomend for maxing out your drive throwing downhill. A course I play fairly regularly has a hole that is 800' long but drops off rather fast for about 450' then goes back uphill. Throwing a wraith which line would you choose to max out the distance?
GetMuddy350
Noob

Downhill fun

Postby trogdor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:45 am

For max distance downhill, I like a wraith thrown flat and almost parallel to the slope of the hill.

In theory, the downhill slop of the disc will allow it to keep up speed and even pick up speed, causing it to turn ever-so-slightly anhyzer and hold that line for a lonnnng way. Do be careful of it flipping too much. On a downhill slope, it may never come out of the turn.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby GetMuddy350 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am

Yeah....Thats the reason I ask, because I have flipped my wraith down the hill, and in doing so ended up like 50' right of where I wanted to be forcing myself to take a four.

So you're basically saying to just throw a flat bullet down the hill and allow the disc to do all the work?
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Eric O » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Agreed with throwing parallel to the downhill slope.

I also like to add at least a touch of hyzer to compensate for the effects being described.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

downhill

Postby twmccoy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:16 pm

I've had my best throws downhill with a wraith and orc. I throw them low and to the right of the target and let them slowly hyzer back. I threw a DX valk once down a hill on a ski slope and it easily went 450' with a nice fade at the end. Use your most powerful distance driver for these shots.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby trogdor » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:29 pm

GetMuddy350 wrote:Yeah....Thats the reason I ask, because I have flipped my wraith down the hill, and in doing so ended up like 50' right of where I wanted to be forcing myself to take a four.

So you're basically saying to just throw a flat bullet down the hill and allow the disc to do all the work?

Hmm. I may not have understood your original post. For max distance, yes let the disc flip a little on you and let it, and gravity do all the work.

When I play on ski slopes, there are many downhill shots that are not max distance. You can't beat a spike hyzer for controlling distance on these downhill shots. Just take some time to visualize the flight path so you know how far you really have to throw out to the right.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby GetMuddy350 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:35 pm

This is an open max D type shot... The only way you can get hurt by missing right or left is by missing far right and getting stuck at the base of the uphill. If you go straight with good D you've got a flat shot maybe some 300' max.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:37 pm

a disc acts more understable throwing downhill becasuse if you are throwing down the hill, you are throwing more nose down than you usually throw, causing the disc to fly understable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:07 am

GetMuddy350 wrote:I have flipped my wraith down the hill, and in doing so ended up like 50' right of where I wanted to be forcing myself to take a four.

And aim left of your target.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:31 am

try a mid thrown flat and paralell to the slope going down. if the hill is fairly steep, you will get all the D you need with a element/roc/buzz plus your shot will be a little less resistant to turn and finish.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby presidio hills » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:11 pm

i like a touch anhyzer with a driver that fades late in its flight. OR if i need to land in the fairway for sure and distance is less the issue... i'll opt for the DX roc thrown with hyzer (which takes forever to land thus getting good D anyways). i feel both shots are easy to execute.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:19 pm

my broken in teebird is money, I like the teebird why you like the roc, even w/ the added nose down thrown right you dont worry about flipping it much, and a late fade is very important while throwing down hill (anything innova speed rating above 7, even understable will probably fade earlier than a slower disc)[/url]
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Technique