What makes it a putt ?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What makes it a putt ?

Postby S Brown » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Gents-

Curious waht qualifies as a putt ?

I have experimented w/ several methods and ideas posted here and various other spots.

On Climo's website he tals about lining up his rear leg, the disc, and the basket wand makes an effort to put no spin on the sic.

From what distances is this the case ? AT what point does the high arcing "pitch" become less likely to be succesful ? How much spin is is acceptable from shor t distances ?

And finally, the best putting tip you ever got was .....

PS Just took two days to play in Auguisat, GA (Riverview, Lake Olmstead, Pendleton King, and the new North Course at the PDGA Int'l Golf Center) Five rounds in two days. Played Riverview twice. AWESOME!!!!!!
S Brown
Noob

Re: What makes it a putt ?

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:53 pm

S Brown wrote:And finally, the best putting tip you ever got was .....

The best tip I got was not to listen to klimo and his no spin putt. Alittle spin on the disc makes the disc hold a line. The absense of spin does decrease break throughs and spin outs, however w/ spin you can hit the sweet spot more often ;-).

as for what qualifies as a putt I would say any pitch style shot, Ive seen people w/ very sucessful jump putts using a pitch from 100 feet, I cant pitch too well outside of 75

and of course I am not denying that the no spin dosnt work, klimo is proff (and an amazing putter) but anything outside of 15' w/ very little or no spin just seems inconsitant to me. I dont give my putts a ton of spin, but the entire stroke and snap of the wrist is where my accuracy comes from
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Can't really argue with the best disc golfer alive 12x World Champ.
There is a guy in Colorado that does that no spin putt and it's just weird to watch, but it's accurate and if he misses there is no roll at all.

Personally for me I square my middle chest with the pole of the basket bring the disc up from the knees and release the disc about waist level with a little bit of snap from the wrist. My putts have a crap load of spin on them and they are very straight and I have almost no spit out, I've actually watched my disc spin in the chains and climb down to the basket in strong headwinds.

Watch the videos here Blake has posted and also follow his lessons in the lessons section.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby S Brown » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:34 pm

Sirs:

Thanx for the aswrs!!

What about The Champs style is worthy of emulating/avoiding?

At what distance is it no longer considered a putt? Where is truly the "can't miss line"?

In stick golf it is considered six feet. If you can't make it from six feet, well then ... you can't make it from six feet.

SB
S Brown
Noob

Postby steezo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:35 pm

Anything within 10 meters (30ft) is considered a putt. Outside of that it really doesn't matter. People jump putt from all distances because a putt is something that is controllable and accurate. Ken putts spin on his putts but he doesn't try to spin the disc out of his hand. A disc will not fly without spin and his spin comes from the motion of the putt. I personally beleive that 15ft and within should be gimmies-meaning you should be able to hit 10 out of 10 putts from 15ft and within. The best advice I can offer about putting is: Pratice every style you can find, think of, read about. The more you play the more you will find your own special putting stroke. If you don't have a basket than hang a stick from a tree or something and aim for it. If you can hit a stick you can hit chains.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 pm

S Brown wrote:At what distance is it no longer considered a putt? Where is truly the "can't miss line"?

SB

the reason I think that this method is so perfect for him is because his stroke is extreamly good/consistant. I think the stroke is more important than any other mechanic of a putt, including disc selection.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:51 pm

one of the best putting tips i got was early on when i had no putt. a local at the course told me "just throw your arm out at it." i know it's a pretty dumbed down version of a putt... but to me it shows that putting should be a simple motion, the momentum should be directed at the chains, and to follow through.

another good one is to pick a link and aim at it. the thing i've noticed is depending on if the putt is uphill, downhill, or there's wind i'll aim at a different spot to compensate.

dg putting is pretty different than ball golf... so it can be hard to draw comparisons. when some people are on, anything within 50 or 60 could be more than likely to go in. for sure, if you're making almost all from 30' you're really holding on to your strokes.

the best feeling in my book is having a round where several big putts go in, the ones that don't were really good runs, and the close ones are candy... boy is that a load off :wink: putting should be fun.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Eric O » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:07 am

presidio hills wrote:the best feeling in my book is having a round where several big putts go in, the ones that don't were really good runs, and the close ones are candy... boy is that a load off :wink: putting should be fun.
couldn't have said it better
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:46 am

I think it was Blake that answered some questions on the pdga board about putting that made a world of difference. I went to short arm putting (I think, I'm not good with terminology).

Basically, I realized I had to much extra motion, which increased the chances for something to be off.

I do line up my body as described, but I just use one motion with a lot of snap. I'm not sure I'm putting all that much spin on the disc itself. What Blakes advice did was make me more consistent. My missed are now, I miss and hit the bottom of the basket or the top bar of the basket, everythign else hits chain.

The only thing I am worried about is longer putts, which make me wanna put more spin on the disc. But quite honestly, if you have a good driving game and approach game, how often are you taking a 30 foot putt?

Most of mine are within 20, which is very makable. Incidentally, I had 3 birdies yesterday and a ton of missed birdies. I hit the bottom of the basket, adjusted and then hit the top, and then you get the idea. But, I think that just requires practice.

I am curious on my drives of how to make it stick when I hit chains...see new thread.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm

i think people often misinterpret the no spin thing...

the putter HAS to have some spin, but the focus should not be to spin it.

not focusing on spin is very different from trying not to have any spin.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:37 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:The only thing I am worried about is longer putts, which make me wanna put more spin on the disc. But quite honestly, if you have a good driving game and approach game, how often are you taking a 30 foot putt?

Most of mine are within 20, which is very makable. Incidentally, I had 3 birdies yesterday and a ton of missed birdies. I hit the bottom of the basket, adjusted and then hit the top, and then you get the idea. But, I think that just requires practice.

I am curious on my drives of how to make it stick when I hit chains...see new thread.

Shit happens, and when all else fails relying on one's putting is a great thing to learn. The other day i shanked a drive off the pad, I was about 90' out, jump putt to sinking it for birdie. This was enough to boost my morale a LOT, as well as make everyone in my group intimidated... perfect...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique