Have I found a step better than the X-step?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Have I found a step better than the X-step?

Postby DEE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:18 pm

My first year of disk golf I used the x-step and had trouble with it, I felt it was too complex and took away from body rotation.

So I tried something different. I throw RHBH, and I'll try to explain this as it looks with no run up.

I start with my left shoulder facing the derection I want to throw, I then pivot on my left foot and then plant my right foot. I'm 180 degrees from where I started now. This motions aid the back rotation of my entire upper frame from my lower back up, and from there I explode forward and throw the drive.

Once I started using this dive tech I got more distance and more line drives.

Does this drive tech have a name?

Are there any high level golfers that know if mastery of this tech can compete with a mastered x-step.

I'm pretty new, and right now I can drive consistantly at 300', I think I can get more out of it, but I would like to know if it is futile to try to master this one.

Even though I had early success with it, will I reach a plateau where it simply won't go as far as the classic x-step.
DEE
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:29 pm

you arent going to get the hip rotation that comes with the X-step which means this technique will likely result in less distance. My guess is that if you found the X-step to be too complex you might have been doing something wrong, it should be a nice smooth simple fluid motion.

in the few years ive played ive seen one player use the technique you describe here. I think it might make the proper timing easier which is why you are having some success with it, but in the long run you will get more from the X-step, just keep at it.
adidadg

Postby DEE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Thanks, I think you may just be right. After writing this I went out and practiced a little and I was ripping straight 300' drives with no run up at all.

I'm just working throwing with my feet in position as they would be if I changed my tech. Just making sure I have the proper drive with my hips and lower back and the proper snap through the shoulders in that stance. Seems to be working well, and I think I'll add the run up and step in a few days.

I'm thinking about using a bunny-hop step the way Steve Brinster throws. I'm familar with the bunny from playing outfield, I just need to learn how to throw a disc backhand with it, so that shouldn't be too hard. Plus the bunny isn't nearly as complex, and people I've seen use it seem to hit that coveted 400' mark.
DEE
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:57 pm

brinster throws with a pretty much classic x-step only with a hop (which is common). What about the X-step are you finding to be complex?
adidadg

Postby DEE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:58 pm

When I think of the x step I think of pushing off with the right foot in front, that push off makes the right cross behind the left foot during the hop and then the feet plant for the throw. I' ve seen most pros throw that way, and this is what I can't do.

Brinster seems to do more of a bunny hop because he pushes of with his left and then his feet come together during the hop rather then cross each other. I dunno know, that what it looks like to me now that I'm watching his film, he steps with his left, plants with his right, does a bunny hop then throws.
DEE
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Brinster throws with a form of the x-step. anything that is close to the x-step is generally just referred to as an x-step. just because there isn't a defined cross doesn't mean it isn't the same basic steps.

as for the style you are talking about, it is very inconsistent and inaccurate in the long run.

sounds like you are better off thinking about the x-step more as a shuffle step.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:14 am

If I'm understanding you right, are you starting with your back to the basket? If so there is a guy in Austin (Moody), that used to drive this way. I remember getting a few tips from him years ago.

I will occasionally start with my back to the basket. I don't know why or when I do it; it's not conscious. I try hard not to do it when I have new people with me, so that they do not try to copy it.

Now, I want to go throw to see why I do it because I think I do it on shorter holes.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:21 am

DEE wrote: that push off makes the right cross behind the left foot during the hop and then the feet plant for the throw. I' ve seen most pros throw that way, and this is what I can't do.

When I X-step, my left foot crosses behind my right foot. It would seem very awkward to do it the other way.

A backhand throw starts with a neutral stance (throwing shoulder facing target line), then closes during the backswing (rotates 90 degrees away from target) then opens (rotates toward the target) in the forward swing.

If your plant (right) foot is crossing behind your left it will hinder any hip rotation as well as compromise balance.

I believe the x-step to be a very basic, easy to learn natural movement. If you are practicing it correctly you should have it down in a week or less. When I started in the 80's I had a shuffle approach. When I learned about the x-step in 1990 it took me only about an hour of practice to make the transition.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Return to Technique