A Few easy questions for a noob.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A Few easy questions for a noob.

Postby PRES 10 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:29 pm

I have just started playing disc golf about 3 months ago and am really getting hooked on it. I play almost every day. I have a couple questions.

1) What is a flex shot and when would it be used?

2) I am looking for a disc compairable to a classic roc, i have an element x (e plastic 175) but it is a little to stable. would a element be better?

3) A good head wind disc (driver) I have thrown a star Tee Rex 176 and liked it alot. Is a speed demon compairable.

I have quite a bit of power and can average 375ish with my 174 DX Beast (no wind). The reason I am not looking for a roc or a teerex is because my friend has is sponsord by gateway and I can get a nice discount on thier discs, thanks.
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:38 pm

a flex shot is a certian kind of helix (s curve) its when you throw a overstable disc w/ anny so it makes a big swooping s.

Classic roc is a bit slower than an element or element x. Ive only had one classic roc (its up for trade now) but I would say its more similar to a putter (which makes sense isnt it a beaded XD?) So I would say if youre looking for something similar try a wizard or a stable putter.

Speed demons unless you have a TON of snap will lawn dart for you. IF you want I have a new 174 E Speed Demon for sale trade (9$ or trade for a disc I throw) However if you are a newb I would say stay away from stuff that fast or overstable, try something like a Z avenger, or even a Champ (kc pro) banshee, Z reaper, or something similar. and if you really want the gateway discount (gateway dosnt make many beginner friendly discs) I would say your best bet would be a blaze for your headwind driver, but it would be alittle shorter than the other options. I dont know about the inferno or scream though, they may work, but are still super fast.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Flex + Gateway

Postby diskgopher » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:33 pm

I think that a classic roc is most like gateway's element. The element is a little faster and his a much wider rim and is faster with a little more fade.

For headwinds It depends on if you want s curve or straight line. I've heard Spirits in different plastics may work for both but I have never thrown one.

I always throw a flex shot on hole 14 at Elver park here in madison. Here's a pic:
http://www.discoverwisc.com/image/madison/e14a+.jpg

The basket is way down the hill. Its barely visible between the two trees in the middle of the photo down by the well lit pine.
diskgopher
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:09 pm

1. When you purposely turn an overstable disc over knowing it will fade back left for nice distance.

2. Try a z buzz. It's similar to a roc. Many compare it to a broken in roc.

3. One of the best underrated headwind discs is a z predator.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:57 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:2. Try a z buzz. It's similar to a roc. Many compare it to a broken in roc.

dosnt compare much to a classic roc though ;-)

and z pred is a great headwind disc (my fav, not sure how weaker arms like em, I remember throwing a spirit when I though a new eagle was overstable, and watching it lawn dart 50' in front of me... and theyre only alittle more overstable than Z preds)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:10 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:2. Try a z buzz. It's similar to a roc. Many compare it to a broken in roc.

dosnt compare much to a classic roc though ;-)

and z pred is a great headwind disc (my fav, not sure how weaker arms like em, I remember throwing a spirit when I though a new eagle was overstable, and watching it lawn dart 50' in front of me... and theyre only alittle more overstable than Z preds)

Actually, I may have mis-spoke here. I never have learned the differences between all the rocs. The first one I had was a flying eye roc (due to the print). I have some butt ugly orange halloween edition too. I'm going more on what others that have thrown my buzzes have told me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PRES 10 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a Elite Z Crush this weekend and it suits my headwind drives nicely.

I threw another classic roc sunday and i loved it, i think ill have to find one.
PRES 10
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ION

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:53 pm

not a bad choice w/ the crush

and tex the classic roc is the only "roc" thats not even a roc mold, Im pretty sure its just a beaded xd.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Solty » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:35 am

i throw kc pro rocs and a classic roc...

the classic roc is more of a finesse midrange.......i love it!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Return to Technique