x-step tempo

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

x-step tempo

Postby KRooster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 am

I notice that my x-step is very slow compared to videos of pros that I have seen. I count my steps (1,2,3) in my head when I'm driving, and my pull/throw is actually simultaneous with the count of three which is the plant foot step. I'm sure the throw happens slightly after the plant foot, but it's easier to think of it as happening at almost the same time than to count like "1...2...3.THROW".

Should I be emulating what the pros do, which is more like "1.2.3.THROW"? Or, is this faster x-step tempo something that I should not do until I am 100% comfortable with a slower tempo? From watching videos of pros, it seems that they really have a buildup of power from the first step all the way up to the hit, which makes me think a slower tempo might be simply incorrect.
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:07 am

If you're run up is a smooth, fluid motion, I would say you're okay. You must be very comfortable with your x step to speed it up. I do see some players that look like they are in slow motion and still have the arm speed to get the disc out there.

I look at it as building momentum. But, make sure you have your x step down first.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:11 pm

I've noticed the same thing in my game, KRooster, and am frequently amazed by how fast the pros go through the motions, especially those that add the real quick skip step. When I try to move that fast I end up completely out of control, release the disc really late, and do not throw it as far anyway.

As of August, I've been able to get a dx teebird on a straight line about 400 feet and I walk through the x-step very slowly. I've spent the summer praticing hip rotation, clean release and follow-through, and it's really paid off (discovered this website in early July and the revolution began). I figured that the last thing I should work on is my foot speed, as according to the reading I've done about technique, that seems to have the least amount of bearing on how far you can throw.

That being said, if I want to get up to 450-500 I'll have to speed up the whole process, but I'm not in a hurry to get huge distance. My goal off the tee is to develop an array of accurate shots, not win distance competitions, and I believe any physically able guy out there can rip 350 drives with a slow, controlled x-step and the right disc.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby KRooster » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Yeah well I've been plateaued at 320' or so for awhile, my goal when I started playing was 350' since that's what I hear should be attainable by anyone with correct form.

I think I'll keep things slow for awhile, since I just learned the correct way to do the x-step and I still have issues keeping the disc close enough to my chest, and I'm not 100% comfortable with the timing. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally stunting my development by having the world's slowest x-step.

Thanks for the advice!!
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 pm

hey, just a quick thing that helped me. when you go for open d make sure you just turn your hips and top half all the way around and really reach the disc straight back towards the back of the pad as far as you can. if your form is right this will increase ur d a little and you only lose minimal accuracy. its easier on a teepad too b/c you can just keep your arm in-line with the sides of the pad and you know your pullling through straight.

hope it helps a lil
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby KRooster » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:31 am

Thanks... yeah I think that will help. It's been awhile since I consciously tried to increase my reachback, I'm sure that's another thing I'm not doing optimally. Also interesting idea about the teepad, I'll keep that in mind. There are so many variables, I can't keep track of them all!!!!
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Postby DiscCrusher » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:40 pm

I would say definately get comfortable with your slow speed X-step first. But for me a fast x-step and a strong pullthrough are keys to adding distance. I can finesse a disc for 320' easily but when I want to put a disc out to 350' or more I have to run up fast and pull through hard. But I do think this can vary from person to person. When you do try this don't give up if you are not getting longer drives at first, your timing still has to be good and this may take some time to master.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:21 am

Slowing mine down considerably increased my distance immensly, as my timing went to shit when i quickened it. Maybe ill quicken in later, but as of now im doing dandy.

Not so much 1...2...3.PULL

more along the lines of 1...2...3...PULL
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby KRooster » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:04 am

Weebl-

Interesting. I always assumed the throw happening very quickly after the plant foot goes down was sort of critical to getting distance. But, I never experimented with that (it sucks working full time and being busy with other stuff and having mild knee tendon problems, I need to get out in a field to throw more).

I played a few rounds today, with a slightly quicker x-step. I think I was getting a little more D but about a third of my throws (maybe more) would be just off (to much nose up, bad aim, etc.) Guess I just need to practice more.
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Mechanical

Postby trogdor » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:50 pm

Part of adding distance is getting less mechanical. (Plan smart, throw dumb)

If you are thinking 1..2..3..throw in your head, you are throwomg mechanically.

An illustration.
Untie both your shoes.
Tie your left shoe. (Good job!)
Now, go back to grade school and tie your right shoe thinking about all of the steps. (Grab the left lace in your left hand and the right lace in your right hand. Cross them. Loop the top lace under the bottom lace...)

How did you do? What did it feel like to be fluid? Do you want to be fluid or mechanical when you throw?

How do you move to more a more fluid throw? Practice. Practice the X-Step alone (IN YOUR HOUSE, where nobody is watching) Add the arm. Add the disc (OUTSIDE, where you won't break your wife's lamp!)

For me, I spend a lot of time figuring out my throw before I throw. Once I have my shot lined up, I get as dumb as I can (not too hard) and go. 1..2..3..pull happens whether I'm thinking about it or not.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique