Disc choice causing technique flaws?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc choice causing technique flaws?

Postby Expo_Bill » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:42 am

I'm throwing 300' - 330' pretty consistently but turning over less stable discs way too often.

I see all this advice about somebody at my power level avoiding really fast discs but, oddly, I find the wraith and orc to be really consistent for me. I used to throw a glide very consistently but now seem to roll it over every time. I've had the same problem with other less stable discs, mid-ranges, etc. Do you all think it seems likely that I have developed a nasty wrist roll to compensate for using drivers that are too fast for me, allowing me to straighten out the wraith but making me roll over the less stable discs?

If so, doesn't it seem likely that throwing mids and putters for a while (as recommended elsewhere) would help me break this pattern?
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby Eric O » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:50 am

yes to all the above
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Disc choice causing technique flaws?

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:59 am

Expo_Bill wrote:I'm throwing 300' - 330' pretty consistently but turning over less stable discs way too often.

I see all this advice about somebody at my power level avoiding really fast discs but, oddly, I find the wraith and orc to be really consistent for me. I used to throw a glide very consistently but now seem to roll it over every time. I've had the same problem with other less stable discs, mid-ranges, etc. Do you all think it seems likely that I have developed a nasty wrist roll to compensate for using drivers that are too fast for me, allowing me to straighten out the wraith but making me roll over the less stable discs?

If so, doesn't it seem likely that throwing mids and putters for a while (as recommended elsewhere) would help me break this pattern?

Yes to everything. It's a problem I struggle with as well. I find that throwing mids and putters helps a lot. However, I'd choose something other than a Glide when working on your technique. I find that it's easiest to diagnose and fix problems when I'm using a disc that I know is supposed to fly straight like a Buzzz, Roc, MRV, Element-X, Element, Spider, etc. The Glide is on the understable side and you could end up trying to compensate for that and introducing another problem.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby KRooster » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:00 am

That's pretty much exactly my power level, and I have a 166g DX Orc that I can't get to hold a good line... massive fade and always ends up WAY left. It does go pretty far though. I just got a 169g Beast... love that thing, it seems just like a valk only more consistent and slightly longer, though admittedly that's a preliminary conclusion based on limited experience with it since I just got it recently.

If you're releasing it anhyzer to compensate for the overstability, or rolling your wrist to get it to turn, then I would assume you're using a disc that's too overstable for you (I know that's what I would have to do to throw a Wraith or an Orc).

Anyway, if you're turning over some decently stable mids with the same technique, then I think you can safely say that your form needs work and you should be throwing less stable discs. I know practicing with mids helped me figure out where my form was bad (not keeping the disc close enough to my chest, not keeping my wrist down, among other things).

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie so take my advice with a grain of salt :)
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:02 am

If you cannot consistently throw 350', you will gain no extra distance from A Wraith, Orc, etc. The exception would be if you are throwing a 150 DX Orc, I guess.

Cheetach/Cyclone + Roc + Aviar or KC Pro Aviar.
Buy three of each in DX/D or Pro. Rotate them.

All out distance throw the Cheetah/Cyclone (I suggest the Cyclone in D or X)-throw at a 10' apex.
250' throw the Roc. Throw at 15' apex.
200' and in throw the Aviar. Throw at 20' apex.

It would be great if you could go to a field and actually throw in all directions. You might be surprised how far those slow speed discs go. They just "look" shorter.

Start the pull smoothly, accerate smoothly, finsh in the same position every time. Try to get rid of all excess body english.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Expo_Bill » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice, good to know I seem to be understanding the information here. Since I have 4 buzzes and can throw em 275 + I'll probably stick with them instead of the rocs but I think I'm going to take everything out of my bag except Buzzes, putters (soft Rhyno, DX Rhyno and a D Challenger) and my Z Predator (for wind.) I'll play and practice that way for a while and see what happens.
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:34 am

good man :)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

The wild ride of technique correction!

Postby Discoman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:57 am

I played three dics round (actually only about 15 holes before dark) and noticed I a had some longer approach shots, but they were often easier than the troble I get myself in trowing my star wraith, champ valk, Road runner or Tl. The Round was far less dramatic. Other than missing some easy puts from no warm up i played better. here is the question?

I am trowing A KC pro aviar for approches and putts, a z buzz and Cyclone 2...is the Cyclone 2(it is opaque white) is that close enough to a Cyclone for me to work on my technique with. I throw about 300 feet with it consistently ironicaly I found it looking for my errant wraith, got nailed by a yellow jacket retrieving it called the guy and he told me to keep it.

Does Cycone 2 = cyclone for my purposes?
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:34 pm

i dont know about the cycloone but you shouldnt throw a star wraith with ur distance unless you're throwin a long hyzer. you wont be able to reach the cruise speed of that disc.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Discoman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:51 pm

So true that is why I am not throwing it anymore. I started playing about a month ago and just did what came natural. I used a two finger grip and just strong armed my drives and can trow 350 plus but with awful consistency etc. Sometimes early sometimes late big hyzer lawn dart wormburner....soooo a am rebuilding my trow based on the articles here. now I can throw straighter and accurate. I want to learn to throw a disc that will facilitate this, and i dont know if the Cyclone 2 is too different, should I pick up a DX gazelle or D Cyclone?
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Discoman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:52 pm

So true that is why I am not throwing it anymore. I started playing about a month ago and just did what came natural. I used a two finger grip and just strong armed my drives and can trow 350 plus but with awful consistency etc. Sometimes early sometimes late big hyzer lawn dart wormburner....soooo a am rebuilding my trow based on the articles here. now I can throw straighter and accurate. I want to learn to throw a disc that will facilitate this, and i dont know if the Cyclone 2 is too different, should I pick up a DX gazelle or D Cyclone?
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:13 pm

i have like no experience with discraft...

i love teebirds. if you can throw 300' they might be a little harder than a gazelle to learn (as these go straight instead of s-ing mostly) but in the long run the teebird is like a short range sniper rifle. drives around 300-350 got way easier for me once i was learning proper form i grabbed like 5 teebirds and took to the field. from excellent players, i only hear great things about the gazelle so its all up to you.

you could keep that star wraith in your bag though :D you can still use it for that par '5' hole that goes hard left and then up a hill. just throw it straight as hard as ya can and the disc will do the work.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:32 pm

The cyclone 2 is way more over stable than a cylcone. It breaks INTO something similar to a new cyclone though so through it to start breaking it in.

You need a cyclone in pro d plastic about 171 or so.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Discoman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Thank you the one I have is fairy beat. I threw it once yesterday and it did somthing amazing. It flippe to level then seemed to accelerate and then hit a tree up hill about 20 feet up the the thing lying about 260 feet out. It.s flight looked completly different than anything i have thrown (see now I can spell thrown right) I am headed to the shop today to pick up either some cyclones or gazelles. i am going to stick with my two aviars and KC pro aviar for putt and approach. I have a buzz in x plastic should I learn to trow that or go to a Roc,or shark for learning form. SO excited to do this right! I think Ill hold on to my champ plastic for now but learn to throw fundamentaly sond golf shots first!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:00 pm

the buzz will do you some good (dont know differences in discraft plastic) but i would say grab a roc if you're interested in them.

if i met a new player who could throw 300' i would give thme:
dx teebird
sidewinder
roc
aviar/wizard/magnet

sidewinders great (it will flip up flat like your wraith but fly better and more consistently) also its great for anny d

anyways my point is that you're interested in 2 of my choices so i thought id throw the other two your way
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique