Disc choice causing technique flaws?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 pm

i dont really reccomend the sidewinder for anyone, a beat up pro starfire, x avenger, newer dx valk, or something more along those lines would promote better tecnique more than a champ(or star) sidewidner.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:03 am

Discoman wrote:I have a buzz in x plastic should I learn to trow that or go to a Roc,or shark for learning form.

the thing about an x buzz is that it goes really far but it doesn't have a consistent fade. i have a buddy that can rock 'em on a straight shot where he doesn't need a fade... if there is any wind, or he needs to hyzer out at the end, or he rolls his wrist and flips it he is screwed. i gave him a couple of X MRVs and he's throwing them way better than his buzz and i think he's switching over. mrvs are a lot like rocs.

in my opinion rocs are just way more predictable than buzzzs. they go just as straight, almost as far, and you don't have to worry about flipping them or whether or not it's going to fade.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Discoman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:27 pm

Just got myself a classic roc and a Dx teebird. They both threw well yesterday into a head/cross wind. I was given a star sidewinder, and have good impressions of it at the field I think I will add that, when I can hit 325 consistently.
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:34 am

classic roc and roc are two diff. molds, everyone in this thread was talking about the reg. roc i thinks
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

discs

Postby twmccoy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Well Bill, it sounds like your arm is improving dramatically. What you need to do is learn how to throw hyzerflips if you want to keep throwing understable discs. Either that or retire your glide and get a Z buzz. Go out to a field some time with all your understable discs and practice some. Once you get a feel for each disc, you can switch from understable to overstable and not flip them.

BTW, try a sidewinder sometime. It is probably the longest disc period for people who throw 325' or so.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:35 pm

agreeda bout the sidewinder. it flips up flat like a teebird except if you are throwin over 300' it'll give you about 20 or 30 extra feet
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Discoman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:39 pm

lock-off wrote:classic roc and roc are two diff. molds, everyone in this thread was talking about the reg. roc i thinks

Oops..! Anyoone throw the classic it looks very interestin. It throws pretty slow with predictable fade, with, for me about 275 max with some height to get it there. Ill get my bag sussed out I am sure...just happy to be on the right track for my skill level now :P
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby dflaschiii » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:55 pm

You should defidently get a regular Roc, but don't stop throwing that Classic! Once broken in that disc is absolute money on approaches--the first disc I got to fly on a straight path. Actually, at your power level, it might even be better that you started with the Classic since it is less overstable and a bit slower than the Roc. Classic also makes a good putter in heavy wind--an all around versatile disc that is always in my bag.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Re: discs

Postby Expo_Bill » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:42 pm

twmccoy wrote:Well Bill, it sounds like your arm is improving dramatically. What you need to do is learn how to throw hyzerflips if you want to keep throwing understable discs. Either that or retire your glide and get a Z buzz. Go out to a field some time with all your understable discs and practice some. Once you get a feel for each disc, you can switch from understable to overstable and not flip them.

BTW, try a sidewinder sometime. It is probably the longest disc period for people who throw 325' or so.

Thanks Terry! I've been trying to throw those hyzerflips and it's cool when it works. I've got a champ panther thats pretty much taking over for the glide. Seems to be more stable but still holds a beautiful right turn for most of the flight with minimal fade and responds well to a strong or light touch.

I did throw my Z buzz hyzerflipped today and parked it under the basket on #12 at expo. A pretty easy hole of course but that thing flipped up flat and shot straight at the basket. Used the uphill slope to stop it before it could fade. Very cool. I've been inspired by this site in general and have been trying to throw new lines on the old familair holes, like sidearms and hyzers on the short holes that I usually just throw straight. Great fun.

Did a comparison of my buzz and my roc and definitely see what folks are talking about. The roc is more versatile. It takes quite a bit of hyzer angle to keep the buzz from flipping flat. It just wants to go straight -----------> The roc, on the other hand, just holds it's angle and keeps on going.

I completely grok Blakes position about sticking with a couple discs but I seem to lose/find such a variety that I'd need to hold up a bank to keep them available so I'm taking a different approach for now. Instead of throwing everything flat and picking the disc that mimics the shot I need I'm trying to pick a less appropriate disc for each shot (that doesn't have water or such) and make it do what I want. Of course I have to stick with discs I've thrown quite a few times. If I don't have a clue how it flies when release flat I surely won't know what a different angle will do but it's kind of fun to see if I can make a z predator hold an anny line for most of it's flight. I can't, btw :P

I definitely want to get another sidewinder based on all the excellent recommendations although that pink eagle you were going to throw away seems to love me. It just goes right where I want and nice and long every time. I put it just past and down hill of (right below the tree line) the close basket placement on #12 at Paco the other day. That's like 350 or so I think and exactly where I wanted it in a heavy cross wind.
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

discs

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:01 pm

Glad you like the eagle. Today at lighthouse I found a champion beast, champion eagle, pro starfire and champion orc. BTW, I also throw a champ panther and it is great for long midrange shots with no wind.

Also, I should PM you the next time I search expo because I always end up leaving tons of DX discs on the banks of the lake. I know you would like some of them. I will try to get out there in a couple weeks.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: discs

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:24 pm

twmccoy wrote:Glad you like the eagle. Today at lighthouse I found a champion beast, champion eagle, pro starfire and champion orc. BTW, I also throw a champ panther and it is great for long midrange shots with no wind.

Also, I should PM you the next time I search expo because I always end up leaving tons of DX discs on the banks of the lake. I know you would like some of them. I will try to get out there in a couple weeks.

wow the brush there must be getting pretty nasty, I havent played there much this season, but it has been bad.

I agree the panther is a great mid, especially compared to the glide. I have an ace on a glide, and still dont like it much. it flies great sometimes, but is hard to control most the time, like its speed dosnt match its purpose so it dosnt handle inconsistancies in power, while the panther is much more forgiving.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

discs

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:55 pm

The brush isn't that bad. I found one disc in the boatyard, 1 in the weeds right of hole 1, 2 in the creek left of hole 6. I just know where to look and keep a sharp eye open when I play.

I have actually found some nice discs at lighthouse over the years.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Expo_Bill » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks Terry, that'd be great!
-grounded by flight - elevated by speed...
Expo_Bill
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:01 pm

do you jump the fence at the boatyard or do you go around and have them let you in? I luckily have not thrown one in there luckily
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

boatyard

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 pm

I jump the fence. I just make sure no one is around. I only do it if I see a disc over there (which is about twice a year).
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Technique