I'm brand new to Disc golf, and I want more distance!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I'm brand new to Disc golf, and I want more distance!!!

Postby peten16 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:57 pm

I have only played 4 times, but I have been devouring any info I can find on technique and disc selection. I have been using two drviers: I first got a Star Wraith 175 and then when I got more educated, I got a DX Beast 167.

My problem, particularly with the Wraith, is that I can throw it straight at first , but it always climbs (nose up) slows down and "fades" tough. The best I can get is 165 feet. I do not have as much of a fade issue with the Beast, but I still get "the climb". I can not thow it quite as far as the Beast.

I have the "x-step down", and I leading with my hips then shoudler, I am keeping a tight 3 or 4 finger power grip, proper thumb placement and all, but I can't see to keep the nose down and /or get more distance.

I am 35, not a small guy, and have good leg strength (I run 22 miles a week). What can I do to build my distance? Is this just a thing that will come with time or can I fix it now? I am not asking for 300-400 footers, I just woud like to break 200 for now.

As a point of info, I have been using a DX Gator 175 for midrange and approach and I have thrown it very accurately and straight, but not all that far either. I have also have some good flat and straight throws with a DX Shark 167, but no real distance.

Anyone have any insight to offer?

Thanks. :D
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Postby garublador » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Discwise, I'd suggest following the advice given in this article:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... disc.shtml

Until you're throwing over 200', midranges will probably give you the best distance. They aren't as sensitive to the nose angle as the high speed drivers you're throwing.

If you want to have a fairway driver, too, I had good luck with the X XL (D would work as well, if not better, though), DX Cheetah and DX Leopard.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:21 pm

put aside both those drivers for a while, they take more distance to fly correctly for ya

id suggest getting a gazelle and sticking iwth that and ur shark
Image
zealot
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby peten16 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:37 pm

Thanks, I think I'll get a Leopard. To what extent should I be sensitive to weight? I'd rather go 170+, for the wind reisistance.

Can I expect an immediate distance increase when I change discs?
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:44 pm

170g should be about right if ur comfy with em. a leopard is a good idea but it will break in pretty fast, meaning that it will start to fade right more and more pretty fast. i really like the star leopard i have.
Image
zealot
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby peten16 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:05 pm

lock-off wrote:170g should be about right if ur comfy with em. a leopard is a good idea but it will break in pretty fast, meaning that it will start to fade right more and more pretty fast. i really like the star leopard i have.


What about the Gazelle (since you mentioned it)? Do you think that is a better choice fo rme? Will that break-in as quickly?
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:56 pm

gazelle is a good disc to learn on. I usually reccommend a panther to most beginers because thats what I started with. definitly hide the wraith and beast from yourself until your throwing 300+ with slower discs. I have a friend that just started this summer, he immediately went out and got the discs advertised as the longest, fastest, for the pros type stuff. he is convinced he can throw the wraith the longer than anything, which may be true, but he cant throw it straight and it only goes about 100ft (usually straight into the weeds). yet he cant understand why he isnt improving. not to mention he already has like 200$ worth of disc's, most thrown once and instantly decided it doesnt work. Just work with slower discs and dont give up on them until you can throw them straight. Im suprised no one has said get a roc, so i will. GET A ROC! Ive learned more about driving form from the roc than any disc i have thrown. I definitly dont have the longest arm around but I started the summer at 150ft now im at around 275 consitantly.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:31 am
Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:10 pm

i think the gazelle is just as goo dof a choice as a leopard

for dx plastic the gazelle will prolly help you out the most and longest
Image
zealot
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Some tips to throw long

Postby diskgopher » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:22 pm

For new throwers I always liked the jls. It is has less fade and better durablity than a gazelle but it isn't availible in all markets. But hey, disc selection is really more of an art than a science.

As far as distance improvement, I haven't seen you throw but I would guess that the best tips would be:
1. Remeber to pull the disc straight across your chest
2. Turn more of you back to the target because most of the throwing power comes from your lower body.
3. Try taking a shorter last step this will help you get your weight over your plant foot and help keep the nose down.
4. *Most importantly* Try throwing with some different timing of your leg and arm movements. The reason being that if you are throwing less than 300 you aren't putting all your body movements together to fully maximize the effectiveness of your throwing effort. Try to have someone who you think throws pretty well take a look at your form and give some ideas. Take a really close look at the videos of throwers on this site especially the ones with a similar body shape as you.
5. Practice in a field with just a couple of similar discs. This lets you focus less on adjusting your throws for different discs and lets you concentrate on your form.
6. Don't worry about getting it overnight. Have fun and one day the light bulb will just come on and your throw will come together. I played for almost 2 years before I broke 300 and I was having a blast cranking out 200ft drives . :D
diskgopher
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 7:27 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Postby peten16 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I fugured out pretty quick the Wratih was not for me, yet. I was attracted to it because of words like "fast" and "long". I then went to the Beast because I thought it would minimize my fade problem and it said "good first distance driver", but it sill was not great.

Innova really does not do the best job telling someone what they need. I guess that's their way to get us to keep buying discs.

Anyway, my wife is also playing a bit and she really has no strength at all. I bought her a 165 DX Archangel, but she has not been out to try it yet. What should I get her to learn on? Should she be using a driver at all? What do y'all think about a Coyote?
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Re: Some tips to throw long

Postby peten16 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm

diskgopher wrote:For new throwers I always liked the jls. It is has less fade and better durablity than a gazelle but it isn't availible in all markets. But hey, disc selection is really more of an art than a science.

As far as distance improvement, I haven't seen you throw but I would guess that the best tips would be:
1. Remeber to pull the disc straight across your chest
2. Turn more of you back to the target because most of the throwing power comes from your lower body.
3. Try taking a shorter last step this will help you get your weight over your plant foot and help keep the nose down.
4. *Most importantly* Try throwing with some different timing of your leg and arm movements. The reason being that if you are throwing less than 300 you aren't putting all your body movements together to fully maximize the effectiveness of your throwing effort. Try to have someone who you think throws pretty well take a look at your form and give some ideas. Take a really close look at the videos of throwers on this site especially the ones with a similar body shape as you.
5. Practice in a field with just a couple of similar discs. This lets you focus less on adjusting your throws for different discs and lets you concentrate on your form.
6. Don't worry about getting it overnight. Have fun and one day the light bulb will just come on and your throw will come together. I played for almost 2 years before I broke 300 and I was having a blast cranking out 200ft drives . :D


Thanks, one thing was thinking about was getting more weight forward on the release. I kow I have not been doing that so much.
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:45 pm

I think all the disc companies are somewhat guilty of not letting people now what skill level they should be at for a particular disc. While it may be true that the wraith is the longest innova driver they fail to mention that most amature/'intermediate players wont be able to throw it that far.
as for the wife Ive always heard lower physical power players throw better with 150 class discs. If you have a dick's sporting goods near you I know they sell an innova beginer 3 pack of 150 class discs that would likely be ideal. I think its an aviar, shark, and leopard. Ive never thrown the cyote but I do have an arcangel and I never really cared for it. Ive heard its a good begginger disc but its supposed to be understable and Ive never gotten it to throw the way its supposed to.

here is a link to the set i was talking about but I think if you have a decent disc retailer around you could probly get em seperately cheaper.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 7425947931
swel304
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:31 am
Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby zealot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:17 pm

the new innova chart is left to right for each level of disc

they put the harder to control discs over on the left and the more beginner friendly ones on the right.
Image
zealot
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:49 pm
Location: Canton, Ohio
Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby peten16 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:56 am

swel304 wrote:I
here is a link to the set i was talking about but I think if you have a decent disc retailer around you could probly get em seperately cheaper.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 7425947931


My local dealer sells those sets, are they always 150 class discs?
peten16
Noob
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:46 am

yes
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests