I'm brand new to Disc golf, and I want more distance!!!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby swel304 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:36 am

as far as I know yes, I think they are marketing them for younger kids.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:38 am

Don't worry about not being a small guy; I've seen people that don't walk all that well throw a disc for 300 feet.

Both of those discs are too overstable; you need something stable to understable right now.

Also, you want dx/pro D plastic so you can learn disc break in characteristics. I still like a cyclone to learn with or maybe a polaris.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Amateur » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:49 am

I just bought a X Cyclone (not an X Clone) to try and it is way more overstable than I thought it would be. So far I think I've had 1 good throw with it and like 50 dissappointing ones. I'm sure it's just because I'm not throwing it high enough. Maybe 176g is too heavy?

I'm not going to give up on it though. The one good throw I had was approx 319ft and in the shadow of the basket.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

discs

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Yeah, at 165', both the beast and wraith are WAY too much disc for you. Someone suggested a leopard, which is a good choice, as are the gazelle, cheetah and sidewinder. Once you master these understable discs, you can work your way back up to the wraith and beast. It will be a while though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:26 pm

I agree w/ terry except on the sidewinder, its understability will show immediate results, but its too fast to be very consistant at less than 250' of power. The leapord is great for building form and distance, and the cheeta makes a good stable driver at the same power level. Both in DX plastic of course
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: discs

Postby peten16 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm

twmccoy wrote:Yeah, at 165', both the beast and wraith are WAY too much disc for you. Someone suggested a leopard, which is a good choice, as are the gazelle, cheetah and sidewinder. Once you master these understable discs, you can work your way back up to the wraith and beast. It will be a while though.

The Gazelle is not "unstable" though. The shark is also not an understable. Why are these still a good begining discs discs? Are they just that easy to throw straight?

And what are any of your thoughts on the Raven since we are talking about these entry level fairway drivers?
peten16
Noob

Postby the invisible tree » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:20 pm

I've taken a few women out on the course. Most of them aren't all that serious about playing and I've found that those types usually do better throwing sidearm. It's kinda hard to explain but I suppose it has something to do with just being able to stand there and throw without all the running and whirling that backhand requires. TBH, I think sidearm is easier to get a bit of skill with for guys and women although backhand has more potential.
Also, I don't mean this as a slight to women disc golfers. I'm sure most of the serious women disc golfers could whip me in all facets of the game. I'm only referring to casual type players.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: discs

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:31 pm

peten16 wrote:
twmccoy wrote:Yeah, at 165', both the beast and wraith are WAY too much disc for you. Someone suggested a leopard, which is a good choice, as are the gazelle, cheetah and sidewinder. Once you master these understable discs, you can work your way back up to the wraith and beast. It will be a while though.

The Gazelle is not "unstable" though. The shark is also not an understable. Why are these still a good begining discs discs? Are they just that easy to throw straight?

And what are any of your thoughts on the Raven since we are talking about these entry level fairway drivers?

Raven is probably alittle too stable, but isnt bad for newbs w/ bigger arms. I dont think the gazelle is the best first driver, but would make a good driver to graduate too from a cheeta.

and the shark is alittle understable, but isnt made for right turns (much like some of these newer discs ie goblin skeeter ect)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:34 am

I think the leopard would be good for you as well. I am new to the sport as well and this is my favorite disc. It glides really well for me.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Eric O » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 pm

Leopard is great for the first part of it's flight but you will soon be lamenting it's lack of low speed fade.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

beginner discs

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:59 pm

I think a panther would be a way better midrange for a beginner than a shark. Sharks tend to be overstable and don't glide well.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby zealot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:47 am

the star leopard has pretty consistent fade unless you rip it hard anny. i use this disc for accuracy drives through tight woods and its pretty easy to toss straight with minimal power. it really shines on gentle annies b/c the low speed fade pulls it back just enough every single time.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:18 am

A buddy and I just had a long discussion about how many people are out looking for distance and not getting it. The analogy we came up with is looking for distance is like looking for a girlfriend. If you are out trying to just hook up with anything that will get the job done, you will usually be dissapointed the next day. This applies both with constantly trying to get to the next best woman and trying to get to the next best disc. Distance (like having a girlfriend) is an output or result. You can't manage a result alone. Those outputs are created by many inputs. For a girlfriend, those inputs are your behavior, dress, income, car, sense of humor, time spent at gym, etc. If you stop looking for a girlfriend and focus on those things, you will amazingly just find a great girlfriend (how many times have we heard someone found their dream girl when not looking for her).

Getting distance is the same thing. No one should ever go to the field with a goal of more distance (please don't kill me for this statement). Their goals should be the inputs that create more distance. More snap, longer reachback, eliminate off axis torque, better x step, clean release, flat release, throw closer to your body, etc, etc. Those should be your goals. Most pros can throw any disc far. Barry can throw a roc 350 from a stand still. If you go out looking for distance and a longer disc, you will never get that distance. Focus on the behaviors you can change and stop thinking about distance (much easier said than done). My biggest distance gains have always come when I've been working on other things. The only thing that ever happened by going out and trying to use different discs to throw further was frustration and reinforcement of bad technique.

Pick a couple of discs and stay with them. Distance will come with better technique, following the articles here, and practice. Disc selection will make the smallest impact of all in the grand scheme of things.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 pm

I love the analogy, makes me wish I was as good w/ girls as I am with a piece of plastic in my hand ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby peten16 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:46 am

discmonkey42 wrote:A buddy and I just had a long discussion about how many people are out looking for distance and not getting it. The analogy we came up with is looking for distance is like looking for a girlfriend. If you are out trying to just hook up with anything that will get the job done, you will usually be dissapointed the next day. This applies both with constantly trying to get to the next best woman and trying to get to the next best disc. Distance (like having a girlfriend) is an output or result. You can't manage a result alone. Those outputs are created by many inputs. For a girlfriend, those inputs are your behavior, dress, income, car, sense of humor, time spent at gym, etc. If you stop looking for a girlfriend and focus on those things, you will amazingly just find a great girlfriend (how many times have we heard someone found their dream girl when not looking for her).

Getting distance is the same thing. No one should ever go to the field with a goal of more distance (please don't kill me for this statement). Their goals should be the inputs that create more distance. More snap, longer reachback, eliminate off axis torque, better x step, clean release, flat release, throw closer to your body, etc, etc. Those should be your goals. Most pros can throw any disc far. Barry can throw a roc 350 from a stand still. If you go out looking for distance and a longer disc, you will never get that distance. Focus on the behaviors you can change and stop thinking about distance (much easier said than done). My biggest distance gains have always come when I've been working on other things. The only thing that ever happened by going out and trying to use different discs to throw further was frustration and reinforcement of bad technique.

Pick a couple of discs and stay with them. Distance will come with better technique, following the articles here, and practice. Disc selection will make the smallest impact of all in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your reply. And I have been thinking about those "inputs" and have been practicing a bit (sans disc and with). I am playing today, I can't wait to get out and think about and work on good technique.
peten16
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique