Putter Grip and Rocs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Grip and Rocs

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:09 am

I use a power grip for everything except when i use my putter. When i drive or approach my putter i have 3 fingers under the rim and my pointer finger on the side of the rim. Recently while practicing with my wizards ive been experimenting using a power grip when throwing my putters. I noticed right away more power with that grip. But it is harder to get a clean release with that grip. Should i keep working on it till i get it down? Do most people approach and drive with a power grip when throwing a putter?

I used to throw buzz's until recently making the switch to all rocs. And following Blakes method im using a few rocs as my midranges in different stages of wear. But i have a couple questions as far as Rocs. Right now i carry 4 Rocs.

172 Beat DX Roc - hyzer flips/ turnovers
172 semi-beat KC Pro - straight
175 semi-beat DX Roc - straight
180 brand new bottomstamp Roc - for hyzers

Is that the right approach?
Is there much of a difference between KC Pro, DX, and bottomstamp Rocs?
Should i throw all DX or all KC-Pro or it doesn't matter?
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Re: Putter Grip and Rocs

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 am

Rob wrote:I use a power grip for everything except when i use my putter. When i drive or approach my putter i have 3 fingers under the rim and my pointer finger on the side of the rim. Recently while practicing with my wizards ive been experimenting using a power grip when throwing my putters. I noticed right away more power with that grip. But it is harder to get a clean release with that grip. Should i keep working on it till i get it down? Do most people approach and drive with a power grip when throwing a putter?

I'd highly recommend working on your power grip with a putter. It will improve your throw with other discs as well. Once you get it down you'll be surprised at what your putters can do.

I use a power grip when throwing over 200' with a putter, but use the grip you described for anything shorter. It's just too hard for me to throw lightly with any accuracy using a power grip.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby twincitiesdg » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Just as a suggestion, you may want to try a fan grip. I use a fan grip for driving, approaching and putting, so whenever I hold a putter I use a fan grip. The biggest piece of advice I could give anyone is to pick what feels comfortable for you and master it. Also, as far as the difference in rocs, all rocs are different. As you know you' ve got your kc pros, big birds, ontarios, san marinos, glos, pop-tops, ce's, champions, and the list goes on forever. The most important thing is to pick rocs that fly well for you. I am addicted to rocs, and from one addict to another, find rocs that do what you want them to do and stick to them. The make or model really makes no difference as long as it brings you success.
twincitiesdg
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:18 pm

I use a fork grip for control dives (350 and down), all my mids, and my putters when except when putting. It's a very accurate grip, and if you can get used to it (it's a bit funky), it may be useful for your game. And there's some 12 time champion guy who uses it for all his throws...

You can check out on Blake's website under the grips.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:38 am

rob,
remember to ask me next time we play, and I'll show you what works for me.
I can't reinforce how much being able to throw a putter off the tee does for my game. but, i'm sure i've told you that before! LOL

:D
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:34 am

disc_golfing_fool wrote:rob,
remember to ask me next time we play, and I'll show you what works for me.
I can't reinforce how much being able to throw a putter off the tee does for my game. but, i'm sure i've told you that before! LOL

:D

LOL that you have. Hopefully ill see you at Campgaw sunday. If not next weekend for sure.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:23 am

it is easier to throw touch shots using a grip that has less lock and more slide characteristics with putters/mids, such as a fan grip, fork, etc.

as for a power grip on putters, if you CANNOT throw a putter clean with a power grip, then something is wrong with the grip/stroke. remember that "choose not to use a power grip" vs. "can't use a power grip" say very different things.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Frontman311 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Remember, don't trick yourself into using different Rocs for all shots. You can flip a disc and make it go straight or X amount of distance to the right, or even make clean hyzers. I'd say it's easier to get to know one disc instead of constintly reaching for a different one.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 am

is there a trick to hyzer-flipping Rocs? I can drive mine in the 350' region, but that is essentially on a flat to slightly understable line....but I always see people talking about hyzer flipping their rocs and I just cant seem to figure out how!
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:33 am

break it in.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:35 am

I have a 161 g dx roc ive had for over a year that sees many MANY throws per round. Needless to say it is beat down to china town. It holds any angle you put on it when you throw it. Even with just a few degrees of hyzer it maintains that orientation and doesnt flip up.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:37 am

Also, I can hyzerflip teebirds, valks, beasts, sabres....but not rocs!!!
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:37 am

are you able to hyzerflip other discs?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 am

the only ones ive tried and failed are rocs and wizards.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby superq » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 am

Aaron_D wrote:Also, I can hyzerflip teebirds, valks, beasts, sabres....but not rocs!!!

Aaron, get a video and shoot some drives, I am suprised that you would be able to crush a driver like that and not be able to get the roc to flip flat.

For me I can hyzer flip most long range drivers that are not super overstable (spirit monster flick...) and I have no problem flipping mids up and over if needed. I will say I do not use putters for the shot instead I throw putter stall shots where I release upwards with hyzer to get the putter to flip up while penetrating forward and stalling to finish straight down.

I would be interested in seeing some video.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Next

Return to Technique