I'm in the 500' club!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I'm in the 500' club!

Postby tumpsi » Sun May 24, 2009 7:16 am

BOOM!

I threw today a couple of 495ish shots, and one definitely over 500', but not longer than 530' shot on a wide open hole (#16 @ kuulaakso). My guess would be it was 515', but I can't say for sure since I didn't measure it. Wind was (5-6m/s) over my left shoulder, so it was about optimal for long throws. The hole is measured with a laser, so I can count on it being accurate. About 5' uphill in the 525' mark, the hole plays up to 650', with uphill being about 15' at the basket.

160m(525') is the next barrier I need to break on distance throwing. I'm pretty sure I can break it this summer, but we'll see.

BOOM! 8) 8) 8)
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Finland

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby tumpsi » Sun May 24, 2009 7:19 am

..and the disc was 175g Star 12x KC Wraith.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Finland

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby cmlasley » Sun May 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Well done, sir.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 am
Location: Waterloo, Iowa
Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby JR » Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 am

ÄIJÄ!!! Congratulations! I'll have to take lessons from you then :-D How about vids of your bombs? What kind of line did you use? Wha? No Cheetah? :-P
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby tumpsi » Mon May 25, 2009 1:13 am

cmlasley wrote:Well done, sir.


JR wrote:ÄIJÄ!!! Congratulations! I'll have to take lessons from you then :-D How about vids of your bombs? What kind of line did you use? Wha? No Cheetah? :-P

Thanks to both of you.

Hyzerflip (from about 10 degrees of hyzer) to anny with a little fade. Apex was 25-30'. I've got a vidcam loaned from a friend, just to shoot a few good bombs and see what you guys (& myself of course) think. Too bad I never remember to take it with me to course :D I'm going to Nokia weeklys next thursday, and there's a good place to throw D if the wind is right. Maybe you'll see som footage before weekend.

I also threw a laser straight shot on the same hole, on my second round to about 475' with a 170g European Open 2006 Star Wraith, that was a quite nice shot too. The wind was a bit stronger, but it was a little off line for me too, straight from behind.

How did you shoot at Kuulaakso JR? I shot +7 and +9 yesterday. Not that amazing, but I'm pretty satisfied. (The course is REALLY tough par64 @ 19 holes. Hole length averages well over 400', and the turf is very, very thick pine woods. You miss the narrow fairway by 5 feet, and you can be sure to add 1-3 extra shots to your score. http://www.discgolfpark.net/maps/Julkuj ... kartta.pdf)
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Finland

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby TEX » Mon May 25, 2009 2:56 am

Congrats!!!

I'm just looking to break the 350' barrier. My power right now is 300-330' using a light 154g T-bird.
When Life gives you lemon's, make lemonade and share it with someone else.
TEX
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:02 pm
Location: Watertown, WI

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby JR » Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 am

tumpsi wrote:
cmlasley wrote:Well done, sir.


JR wrote:ÄIJÄ!!! Congratulations! I'll have to take lessons from you then :-D How about vids of your bombs? What kind of line did you use? Wha? No Cheetah? :-P

Thanks to both of you.

Hyzerflip (from about 10 degrees of hyzer) to anny with a little fade. Apex was 25-30'. I've got a vidcam loaned from a friend, just to shoot a few good bombs and see what you guys (& myself of course) think. Too bad I never remember to take it with me to course :D I'm going to Nokia weeklys next thursday, and there's a good place to throw D if the wind is right. Maybe you'll see som footage before weekend.

I also threw a laser straight shot on the same hole, on my second round to about 475' with a 170g European Open 2006 Star Wraith, that was a quite nice shot too. The wind was a bit stronger, but it was a little off line for me too, straight from behind.

How did you shoot at Kuulaakso JR? I shot +7 and +9 yesterday. Not that amazing, but I'm pretty satisfied. (The course is REALLY tough par64 @ 19 holes. Hole length averages well over 400', and the turf is very, very thick pine woods. You miss the narrow fairway by 5 feet, and you can be sure to add 1-3 extra shots to your score. http://www.discgolfpark.net/maps/Julkuj ... kartta.pdf)


An added factor to that course is the soft sand everywhere. I drilled over two inches into it with leg pivot on several occasions. I shot crap out there. I think I was two over after 9 and that was luck because I took photo of that PDF and used it to guess were the unseen holes were and threw accordingly. My guesses were off on many occasions. once I even threw on a different opening than the fairway :-) I was on a schedule so I stopped running to see the basket after the first three holes. You can guess why I stopped counting score :-) The last 10 holes where the distances increased and my disagreements with the PDF vs real world worsened my scores went down the drain. I half counted and was at +11 +- something at hole 17 or 18 can't recall. Totally misread the final hole and was in the woods on the left several times for the final insult. Yeah my injuries bugged me before that :-D Injuries and insults all the way...

On the upside some skips from the fairway to the sticks didn't bring additional strokes with heroic saving shots. Got two birdies. Liked to see what a 1000' hole was like. Too bad I started in a wrong direction and was in the woods so didn't experience it like it should be played. So it wasn't good for only getting to see a new course. I'd like to play rested and without time constraints over there. It's an interesting course.

Looking forward to vids of your driving.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby Luke » Fri May 29, 2009 11:50 pm

I threw a few 500+ fore hands today with my Wraith. I had the wind with me on a a couple of them though. What's both depressing and encouraging, a friend of mine that doesn't play did the same, twice. It's ridiculous. It was probably his twentieth throw, and he threw it with a Max. I was literally dumb founded. I was very happy today with those throws, though. I think I can throw a Wraith further than a Boss on a distance line. But on low lines, I like the boss.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby tumpsi » Fri May 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Luke wrote:I threw a few 500+ fore hands today with my Wraith. I had the wind with me on a a couple of them though. What's both depressing and encouraging, a friend of mine that doesn't play did the same, twice. It's ridiculous. It was probably his twentieth throw, and he threw it with a Max. I was literally dumb founded. I was very happy today with those throws, though. I think I can throw a Wraith further than a Boss on a distance line. But on low lines, I like the boss.

wtf :D

I think I got a decent forehand, and I max out at 400', maybe a little less on a distance line.

PS. no vids coming up this weekend, decided to go to a different course. Hopefully next week!
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Finland

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby Luke » Sat May 30, 2009 12:01 am

I'll try to get videos of me and this kid one day. You'd laugh so hard watching him miss a putt though, after a drive like that. We parked a four hundred foot up hill hole at Snowbowl, and he missed a ten foot putt, twice. I laughed so hard, I almost missed mine. The others in the group, which included some decent players, all foured it as well.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby JR » Sun May 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Now that is naturally athletic. Ain't Luke 18 years old?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby Luke » Sun May 31, 2009 7:49 pm

I am indeed. I'll find a video camera, he's nuts.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby JR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:31 am

I'd like to see that too. Sounds mega impressive.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11538
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Yeah, I'd love for some of you all to react to that. This kid played his 54th hole today. He had a 325 foot up hill drive for a birdie.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby tumpsi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Had a short field session yesterday with a friend of mine. No videotaping this time, but I'm working on that!
We threw some pure D shots in 0-3m/s tailwind, basically with very little to no wind. I was quite surprised to find a 171g CH Wraith at the 150m(490') mark. There's got to be some kind of magic in that disc. 9 out of 10 field session I throw longest of the day with that.

Normal good throws averaged around 440', better ones further, worse shorter than that. We used a 50m(164') measuring tape, as usual.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Finland

Next

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests