I'm in the 500' club!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I'm in the 500' club!

Postby JR » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:51 pm

tumpsi wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:From the videos, it appears to me the nose is up a lot.

So it seems, just like there seems to be a lot of flutter. But there isn't, and the nose isn't up. That's why I said "crappy quality". :-------)

The resolution really makes things difficult. I watched the 164 meg vid with Media Player Classic frame by frame. When the disc is closest to the camera the artefacts aren't as bad. I watched only once but it seemed that the disc orientation in your hand changed with the last few pictures before the disc release. The first three pictures after release aren't totally botched by artefacts but still not reliable. It would appear that in those first three pictures the disc orientation changes more than just flipping. Along more axes aka OAT. The drivers will stabilize themselves in air soon and it's very difficult to see minor wobble before the disc stabilizes itself. Because human sight is so poor and slow to focus. Those three pictures after the release last only 0,05 seconds which is 2,5 times longer than a rumored pictures per second discerning ability that was used for PAL format televisions. I've heard from many FPS gamers that even 70 FPS is discernible from 60 etc. I've noticed on occasion the difference between 60 and 50 FPS.

Anyway to be sure a higher resolution vid is needed to say for sure what happened in your throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:40 am

Due to the videoing angle not being around 90 degrees left of the target from the throwers view point=left side of the tee I couldn't get a trustworthy measurement of your speed :-(

I went ahead with self analysis and did exaggeratedly slow approach steps max punch speed with an empty hand. And videoed it at 300FPS. Punch starting about when the rear of the disc has passed the right side. Even though the sensor of my camera is sensitive at 300 FPS with the indoor lighting wasn't good enough. The video had a lot of noise and was too dark and worst of it was bad motion blurr. Didn't think that'd happen with this camera. Overcast outside. I'll need to repeat this test outside with enough light and if necessary with 600 FPS at lower light in the vid. With and without a disc in hand. With little warm up I quickly felt a definite increase in punching speed when I concentrated on it and really loosened my muscles almost totally. I think I guided my fast cells more independently from slow ones than ever before. I'm not at all consistent yet :-(

A little sunshine and available time would be nice to have. I don't dare to wish that the from blurred images measured 33 meters per second index finger speed during wrist snapping forward is accurate without a good quality video footage. With a disc in hand I've never measured such speeds from the disc. I' pretty sure earlier vids had micro slips in the last inches of the arm pull before the arm straightening fully. I know I'm incorporating this punching practice into my non and throwing training regimen.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby YoungGunLefty » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 pm

I finally made it into the 500 club about a month ago. I was throwing on a wide open hole and the distance from tee to basket is 600' and I walked off from the throw to the basket and it was 90' from the pin so Im guestimating around 510 to 515 in distance YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The disc that I threw was the Pro boss from the vibram open max weight.
Team DGA
YoungGunLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Boss

Postby Hurricane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 am

I was throwing distance drives today and had a couple very good throws:
first star boss 173g went to 502ft (153m) nice flex shot
then boom! r-pro boss 158g went to 521ft (159m), this throw was perfect :mrgreen:Both throws measured by Eniro.fi
These were my first drives over 500ft :P
Hurricane
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:56 am

Cool Hurricane!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:27 am

JR wrote:ÄIJÄ!!!

I'm sigging that! äijä!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:00 am

DUUUUUUDE!!!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 pm

I just started getting into the 500' club back at the end of May. Now I can get my Pro Bosses really working on big S lines out to 550' (measured using Google Earth and stepping off). Keeping the nose down helped tremendously, as did the L to R crosswind (held the disc up in the air). I even got my E*TBs out to 480' that same night...

All I can say is that 168g Pro Bosses (domey) are LOOOOOOONNNNGGG! :lol:

As far as technique, I focused on the hips, shoulders, then HARD hand acceleration at the right pec. That's the key, for me at least.

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Parks » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Patdabunny, you're such a tease. I love seeing DGRers throw long. Get some video up, or post a link if you have already! I've only seen you throw some forehand rollers in that clinic vid.

That goes for anyone else who can throw 500+. Lets see the form!
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby patdabunny » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Nah, I'm no tease! I'm easy, but I'm not cheap! ;)

I don't have any right now (no good video camera), but I'll try and talk my wife into coming out and getting some vid with our camera. Not sure how good it'll be (no slo-mo) but it'll be some. At that same clinic is where I first threw over 500'. Had 35+ witnesses to that... :mrgreen:

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Parks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:45 am

Witnesses don't do me any good unless I'm one of them :(

I like seeing people throw long, not hearing about it.
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:34 pm

I throw long on short holes :lol:
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby patdabunny » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:25 pm

A friend and I are going to head out in the AM. I'll see if I can get some vid of him and me on some field drives, OK? (He throws well over 600'--actually, the roller video intro has him driving at the intro. He's the stocky blond with the black shirt on.) Can't promise anything, but I'll try at least... 8)

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby Parks » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Definitely get him on there if he can drive 600' :D
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:35 am

Matt Hall drives 500' I watched it sail over my head in a distance comp. I was standing at the 400' marker or maybe closer and it was screaming by at that distance flexing out of the turn, you could see the nose down and the disc picked up speed tracked straight and viola we have a winner. Although an am just about as far...
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Technique