How do you acheive a lot of nose down and height?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How do you acheive a lot of nose down and height?

Postby Amateur » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Is it sick snap? I can throw any disc very accurately and pretty far (250-300 real feet of reliable golf d/350 max d) but I think/know my problem is not getting enough nose down and height. I can throw high but they stall out and hyzer before acheiving any more D.

High hyser flips don't happen for me. Hyzer flips for me are like 10 feet off the ground max. I have a pretty good anhyzer, and I seem to get more nose down, height, and snap off my anyhzer throws. Sometimes they will be nose up too and stall out and just drop like a dead duck.

I doubt it's my equipment, but for max D I throw/have thrown a: 170 Z Surge (has potential), 165&174 X Avenger, 176 ESP Avenger, 171 Z XS (my longest disc), 169 X Pred, 168 Pro Starfire, 161 Star Teebird, 165 Champ Teebird, Various DX Teebirds, 170 DX Valkyrie, 162& 170 DX Wraith. All these discs might as well be the same to me. I can throw a S Sabre controlled almost as far as any of these and usually end up better off, exception being huge sweep hyzers.

I know I have tons to learn still, but Blake has said that healthy 18-40y/o males should be able to throw 350 with less than perfect form. I just want to know what I'm missing!
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:20 pm

theres a link on the home page that would help. its a grip article w/ images. I will look for it, but you want to have the disc parrallel to your wrist and pull from about belly button height to shoulder height (to gain the height) but keep the dics parrallel to your arm. (meaning your hand is tilted down)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:22 pm

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

read the article and check out the other images, read the articles for distance secrets too.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Amateur » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:25 pm

What you described is how I throw. I use the fork grip. When I land on my plant foot my weight is forward, my chest is lowered, and I rip belly to shoulder high.

I have the instructional articles memorized. It's just making it happen that F's me I guess.
Amateur

Postby Amateur » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:27 pm

My stall outs don't occur until around 250ft, where the discs low speed fade sets in (I guess?).

I'm having a lot of fun and don't plan on quitting soon, but as much as I throw and love it I can't help but want to do better.

EDIT: I'm looking at that picture and holding my hand out and now I realize that I've been rolling my wrist down/left to get the nose down. Toggling between my grip and the picture's grip I see 2 inches of possible snap I've been robbing myself of. I didn't see it before. I noticed how Blake's beefy forearm muscle was level with his wrist (on same plane). My wrist dives down and to the left. You can sit there and switch between the two yourself and realize how big of idiot I've been. If there had only been an aerial shot...I'll report my findings after I throw tomorrow.
Amateur

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 pm

I should also mention that alot of the drivers you mentioned (other than mabey the valk) are proabably too fast for someone with less than 300' of golf d. The faster the disc the more nose angle senstive it is, meaning more stall outs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Amateur » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:02 am

I figured that one out too. But everybody wants to throw farther, 300 feet of golf D or 450 feet of message board D. I had to try new discs. I can put my Sabre as far as any of those drivers I've tried, hence my frustration. My home course is long too. Just kills my ego.
Amateur

Postby presidio hills » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:55 am

it's much easy to get a disc with a reliable flip to get nose down with height. i throw my most beat up dx eagle in these situations... something that i can release hyzer with an upwards trajectory that will still flip to flat. it's also my roller disc, if that gives you an idea of how beat up the disc should be. the dx valk is the only one in your bag that would do this (if it's really beat in). the teebirds if super beat in would work, too.
something like a dx gazelle or d cyclone (both have more high speed turn than a teebird or sabre) would be better suited for this shot, too. both would be a little shorter but more controllable than the valk.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

three sources to Nose Down

Postby rehder » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:12 am

I have been enjoying dg since July and what a fun sport it is. I have been wrestling with trying to get a good throw since then. Most people mention that grip and getting your weight forward are the most important factors for getting nose down.
I have a feeling though there is a third very important point for achieving nose down. Unfortunately I havent seen it mentioned much before. (1-3 times)
The third factor is to keep your elbow high during the throw, this will make it much easier to keep nose down orientation. If you grab a disc and go through the throw slowly, you will see what difference this makes.

For example N. Doss keeps his elbow nice and high
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... doss.shtml

Now I just have to get it myself :wink:
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:28 pm

there are a couple of additional tricks to throwing higher.

the first one is to aim higher as if you were hitting a window.

the other is that it's easier to throw nose down and high if you commit to a hyzer/anhyzer so that you can use the angles to contribute to additional nose down.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique