Loss of control powering down...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Loss of control powering down...

Postby GetMuddy350 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:45 pm

This past weekend I play a DG tourney on a pretty technical course. Some long holes with mostly tight wooded fairways, where an accurate drive is more important than a longer drive. As my home course is mostly open I struggled a bit.

I found that when I played safe and toned down my drives I was hitting trees like crazy. Really adding to my score. On the longer holes, especially in the second round as I needed an amazing round to get back into contention, I was nailing fairways when I threw full strength.

I think a lot of this is my release. Most holes at my homecourse, I can throw full power without the worry about hititng anything, I RARELY need to tone down my drive. Just grip it and let it rip! Could it be that I was just trying too hard to guide the disc down the fairway?
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:51 pm

I had that problem the other day when I was really trying to slow down my x-step. I think the problem for me was that I was trying to guide the disc too much and not following through with my throw. I wasn't getting any snap on the disc and I was releasing it early.
Hope that helps
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby roadkill » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:05 pm

How were you "powering down"? Were you throwing the same discs with less snap? Were you altering your throwing motion? Or were you throwing the same but with "smaller" discs?

Most people who have touch and/or finesse problems can adjust easier by bumping down from a driver to a mid or a mid to a putter.

I believe disc golfers like ball golfers prefer to play full shots. Most of us are most consistent when we throw at about 85% effort. So you may be better throwing a roc say 200' at 85% than throwing a teebird 200' at 60% power. Same could be said about throwing an aviar vs a roc for a 120' shot.

(distances and disc molds are used for example ymmv)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby GetMuddy350 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:37 pm

Problem solved. I was still throwing my drivers, just not as hard. Next time i'll just rip a mid.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:20 am

at least 40% of power is dictated within the 12" surrounding the rip. about 80% of accuracy lies here as well.

the trick to touch is to know how strong you have to finish to get the desired power. you will always finish firm, but sometimes you need to finish hella hard and other times you need to finish very weak.

if you remove the finish, you have taken away all control within the power zone.

as for some accuracy, it's also near impossible to make an ultra high speed driver fly anything well if you take juice off of it, especially if it is stable to overstable.

i put some nuts on every throw outside 100', it's just a matter of how hard i am throwing in the 2" before the disc rips out of the hand to the 6" after the disc rips out of the hand that dictates how much carry the disc has.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique