switched to lefty

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

switched to lefty

Postby superq » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:58 am

Ok so I have a wound on my right index finger that will not heal, It has been a bane for the last several months and I decided (all be it in a drunken stupor) to work on my right hand putt and stop throwing golf shots, the reaction from my buddies was immediate and the rally cry was for me to take up a left handed long game for the next few weeks while righty is on the mend.

Sooooooo

Last night was the debute of Super Q (lefty) It was tough to watch. I took a few notes from the round, and some observations, first of all when I drive left handed my form is a lot more bent elbow than my normal drive. I have almost no controll on my release point, I tend to release late when I am going for big distance, I can not throw a left handed S shot.

So I am shopping for advise, I have the run up and the finish position figured out is there something that might help me put it all together? I warmed up and got rid of the height problem so I am throwing everything out instead of up, I got the swing level and the release mostly flat, I am struggeling with getting a good amount of arm and snap on the shots. I also re-tooled the bag, last night off the tee most of my drives were with INFERNO and they were trying to flex I did notice that the spirit was more consistant when I was just throwing it hyzer (but the range for that shot for now is under 220) I guess I am looking for tips on throwing the driver flat and far. I am really only doing this for 2-5 weeks and all I want to come away with at the end is an improved right handed putt ( I have that covered with practice time) and a solid 3-350 left handed hyzer, however since I am going to be playing lefty for a while I would like to get a decent straight shot and a max D shot that will work for a while.

HELP 8)
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 am

I know a guy or two who throw both lefty and righty. Generally they reserve the lefty for hyzers because it can be safer than throwing a anny (which on a throw with alot of left to right can roll). I wish I could help, but my LHBH cant be longer than 200' with no control, so all I have to say is good luck, and have you tried taping your finger?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby superq » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:12 am

tape glue liquid band aid new skin.....

I have been down that road, I just have to think that time will be the great healer...

I dont really expect any strokes of genius but it never hurts to ask 8)
superq
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:01 am

i think you need to cram in some throwing experience with your left hand to make it feel more second nature... like playing some putter catch. that way you'll figure out timing and release point.
i've played putter catch righty (i'm a lefty) and by the end of one session i was more or less getting to my buddy every time. we're maybe 150 apart, but still... the improvement from just that one session was really noticeable.

can you lefty sidearm? that would be a shot you could carry with you for the rest of your golfing days... reaching way out of a bush on your left side, when the right is all blocked.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:33 am

You could try a righty sidearm or thumber shot. I throw both lefty and righty. I am naturally right handed but it's way more comfortable to throw lefty for distance, I am a semi-professional baseball player and the lefty throw motion is real similar to the swing of a right handed batter. Maybee if you think of it like that it would help you out.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:14 pm

The Natural wrote:You could try a righty sidearm or thumber shot. I throw both lefty and righty. I am naturally right handed but it's way more comfortable to throw lefty for distance, I am a semi-professional baseball player and the lefty throw motion is real similar to the swing of a right handed batter. Maybee if you think of it like that it would help you out.

Thats exactly how i am except im naturally left handed but i throw right hand back hand. I always looked at it like the baseball swing too. The only thing i can do with my left hand is sidearm but that doesnt help me much.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby superq » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:00 am

Ok so last night was the first singles round lefty, Shot a 62 on a course that right handed would have probally been more like a 48 so on the whole not terrible... I had one 5 and one 2 and hitting that 2 was crazy, threw lefty drive pin high about 50 left of the goal so about 350 total and nailed the jumper (right handed).

I think there is some merrit here and the lefty aproach feels really good, I tend to miss the release point a lot on drives especially when trying to throw hard and flat. It is strange I am a hyzer flip thrower for the most part and now having to throw with anny left handed does not make a lot of sense to me yet.

the finger is on the mend and it is good I assume after a few weeks of lefty my left shoulder is going to need some rehab... 8)
superq
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique