Off Axis Torque

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Off Axis Torque

Postby discintilldeath » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi blake i have played for 3 years now and im recently greatly accelerating my skill level but i still dont exactly have a grasp on what off axis torque is???? How should i try to recognize when i do this?? does my disc turn over sooner or just get less distance or aim is off. If i recognize it how would i fix it.

second my upshots are HORRRRIBLE if i could get my upshots down i would play so much better probably 4 to 5 strokes better. What should i focus on when i throw my upshots. Ive recently been trying to create my own sort of upshot where i hold the disc close to my body and my elbow below my hand with the disc close to my body so my arm makes a sort of V up next to my body. As i begin to extend my arm out i push the disc down. I dont usually let it out at that high of an anhyser line as some would assume i might do with the disc being up so high above my elbow Then i twist my body mostly keeping my arm in teh same position and extend as the disc comes to the place i wish to let go of it. I find a lot of the time the disc does what some of the local pros have described to be an air bounce shot but the shot when i practice it works so awesome that i can hit the basket from 100-150 two out of three throws sometimes its amazing but i get on the course and just lose the form i had i dont know if should continue with this and just keep practicing or could you give me advice on a different/better type of upshot?? Also when i throw the upshot I'm trying to develop i usually try to keep it low to the ground and the disc lofts itself up off the ground slighty as it gets closer than kinda dives as it fades usually leaving me close to the basket and it had chances to go in.

I think i would like to learn how to perfect this upshot. If this is a common way to throw upshots could you give me hints or tips on what to look for when i throw it wrong or things to try to do to make it better. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Marshall McGill
discintilldeath
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:49 pm

Im not blake, but I can offer alittle help.

Off-axis torque is most commonly reconizable if the disc is wobbling during its first moments of flight. Usually causes stable and less stable discs to flip, while overstable discs mask it.

Most likey off axis torque is not causing your inconsistancies in your short game youre probably just alittle inconsistant. Airbounce (nose up) kinds of approaches are good for running at the chains and not flying by. However if your goal is to lay up a nice gentle hyzer will be the most consistant.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:34 am

For upshots, just get a friend and a putter and play catch for a while. Once you're able to get it right to him or her on a straight path, start working on different lines. Once you get on the course, imagine your friend is standing in front of and to the right of the basket 15'-20' or so.

I throw my upshots the same way I throw catch and Ultimate discs, so I never really thought about the technique I used. I have found that I'll throw a hyzer whenever I have the chance, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Cause of the Torque

Postby Discoman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 pm

Well after playing a putter/midrange round with my wife and watching my rocs flip on all but two shots, I finally had to admit that I am a torquer. yes it is true there is wobble on my putter drives and well...my midranges too. I have hit rock bottom and I am tired of throwing discs to the right and robbing myself onf straight distance. The cause, I let my throwing elbow drom making my snap eliptical, turning over and ocassionaly releasing anhyzer on accident. Simple problem and time to retool my stroke. sad yes but think of the untapped potential!
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Let your hips guide your shoulder and then your arm. Your wrist with the disc in it should be the last part of your body to move after your pullback.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Followt horough?

Postby Discoman » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:36 pm

So after another couple of frustrating rounds, I think I have finally figured out the source of my propensity to turn every single #&?!ing thing over! While trying to get more snap and keep my snap on plane with my forearm and driving from feet and hips through shoulder, I have been develop[ing more power, which has just led to more turn over. After trying to adjust with hyzer angles, I talked to Blake, "no way you should be turning over new rocks" he said...as they keep going right I have shortened my follow through and my arm swing has begun to go more parabolic....Duh! So I threw a few with a strong follow through and this allowed my arm to travel on the path it had set out upon. CWD coming soon I hope that would be WEEBL's controlled whip of doom and not mine of Doo Doo.
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:34 pm

Heh, if you can make it down to Big Sur for the doubles Tourny it would be awesome, Oct. 21st. I NEED to get a camera to capture this course as it's incredible.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:01 pm

marshall:

off-axis torque refers to force that is applied on a plane different to the plane of the disc. it skews the flight of the disc off of a "pure" throw and is most noticeable on slower discs.

as for your air bounce solution to this problem, it is not really a long-term viable one for several reasons. e.g. not good into the wind, requires very understable plastic, etc.

you are best off practicing hyzers with understable discs making sure to maintain a pure swing plane until you can get very understable plastic to hold a hyzer its entire flight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby superq » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I think my battle with off axis rotation is a little different.

when I throw midrange or putter off the tee they come out smooth as silk and hold a predictiable line.

when I throw drivers they flutter for the first 10-20 feet then settle in and fly. I am not sure there is a difference but when I throw rollers or big turnover shots with the driver I do not get the wobble they stick on the thrown angle and seem to have more spin.

the question I have is what can I do to help get the wobble out of the drives? It is usually pretty minor and I have to really pay attention to even notice it but it bugs me and is robbing me...

HELP BLAKE.... or someonoe!!!
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Return to Technique