Keeping a consistent putting stroke

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Keeping a consistent putting stroke

Postby akfrolfer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:22 pm

I was wondering if there were any tricks to keeping a consistent putting stroke. I have been practicing my putting for awhile yet every putt seems to be different. Sometimes my arm will follow through straight in front of me sometimes it will be above my head. My stroke will sometimes be lightning quick and short and sometimes be slow and long. It seems I can never duplicate the same stroke twice and this obviously leads to me missing almost all the time. The majority of my misses are low yet when I aim higher all it does is the disc either fades out or goes 3 ft above the basket. Thanks for the help.
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby schla104 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Ah well what worked for me was just getting a stack of 10-12 putter (not all the same but wouldn't matter if they were) and just throwing for 15-30 min every night over the summer. Experiment with stances, hyzers, anhyzers, and lofty s-curve putts. Just try everything. I know one of my friends started putting with his feet a little wider than shoulder width apart and keeping the disc directly in front of him and the basket, starting low and bringing it up about to his chest and letting it go.
I personally use this too when the putt is <20 feet or so. It is fairly easy to keep the putt straight. Other than that, just keep practicing and you'll find something comfortable for you.
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby akfrolfer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:35 pm

Ya I just re-read the putting article and changed a few things and it worked really well. My grip was too closed so I opened it up to 230ish and that made timing a lot easier. I also fixed my stance to make it a bit more balanced but the most important thing I noticed was my head. I wasn't looking fully at the basket untill the putter had left my hands! I just worked on having my head looking straight at the basket the whole time and it made a huge difference.
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:11 pm

memorizing the timing/feel is one of the most important things.

then achieving a putt = seeking the memorized feeling.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 pm

one thing that helps me get my stroke back on track is a lot of close putts... 15-20 ft. i feel like this is the distance i can execute my putt with almost no "oomph", it's all up to the body to time it and for me to feel it. i'll start getting more specific with the line and where i'm hitting the chains.
once i get it down i start seeing how much oomph to add at other distances. i'll go back to the close putts in the middle of a practice session if things are starting to feel weird and it seems to help.

like blake said; a lot of it has to do with remembering how it feels each time. what a nice clean release feels like... getting the right amount of height and all the other aiming elements.

if you're making good putts you can lock that memory in better. it's easier to make good putts at shorter distances.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Technique