Does anyone throw forearm style

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Does anyone throw forearm style

Postby monter_masher » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:46 am

I looked at all those anaylisis vids and only two people use forearm. Is backhand the best way to throw or what?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:03 pm

while many players throw sidearm, very few use it as their main driving style. on the throw analysis quite a few have very good sidearm form, but only 1 person on there uses sidearm for their main drive (luke redfield).

i know other players that have learned a lefty backhand rather than using a sidearm throw. imo, everyone should be able to throw at least a basic sidearm throw, but as for how far people wish to go with it is up to them.

one factor of the sidearm throws (as well as overhand throws) is that they are easier to execute consistently for newer players. i see this as kind of a "power chord" method of learning guitar. it's practical, you can use it, but if you stick only to that you will never develop a full array of skills. basically, most players that have a great backhand have an ok sidearm... whereas not all players with a great sidearm will have an ok backhand.

i believe players should have both, but that the "default" shot should be backhand.

in the long run, it breaks down kinda like this:
-sidearm is more accurate
-backhand has more distance potential
-backhand is less fatiguing as power comes from the legs rather than arm

the other downside of the sidearm comes down to technique...

using sidearm technique that will yield great D (with the elbow away from the body) will probably not yield a very long career... however, a more finesse based sidearm that many older pros have thrown for 20+ years, really won't get you much beyond 375' or so on the longer end of things.

it all comes down to preference and how far you would like to take your game as well as the work you are willing to put into getting there.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby monter_masher » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:59 pm

thanks for the info im pretty new to discgolf I started playing last summer and im so stoked on it right now but I never use backhand because I cant throw it far is there good instructional articles on the discgolf review website? or anyone other place on the internet?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Chains » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:35 pm

THIS is the best site for you. I don't recommend reading up on too many things at once. I would get to the tee pad and get a brain cramp and forget everything :? :? :? :?

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Chains
Noob

Postby monter_masher » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:36 pm

and where can I get some good info on the x step the article on discgolf review makes so sense and the one on innova makes no sense either
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:55 pm

x-step = in a straight-ish line, right foot forward, left foot crosses behind the right foot, step again with the right foot.

look at the throw analysis section and download some videos to see this done graphically.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby monter_masher » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:46 am

I tried the x-step at the discgolf course I have in town its not that good but for my first time I dont think I did that bad I cant wait to get back to the course and work on it again
monter_masher
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:53 am

I havent really been here in a while. But I saw this and thought I'd chime in.
When i used to talk to Blake_T on AIM a lot, he would keep telling me that my sidearm is a crutch. He's 100% right about it, But i still use it about 70% as my main drive.

Its gotten to the point where I can put enough torque on my discs from fingerpoppin em (what most of us in my area call sidearm), that I can turn a large majority of overstable discs over to get some extra D out of em. I can REALLY control my 2 Champion Orcs, 165 and 173. Can make em fly almost like a valkyre normally does with a lot of accuracy. I've just got a lot more consistancy with it. I've worked on my backhand throwing form for the last couple of years, and gotten fairly predictable with it, but I kind of enjoy my sidearm throws because i mainly play double scrambles with ppl, and having someone with a good sidearm is like having a consistant Left and a right hand player on a team, covering all of our choices for shots on the course. My Distance is about 300 ft with my sidearm, But my backhand isnt much farther... 325ish

Just try new things out, learn the sport. Theres a lot more technique than ppl realize, it has to do with your choice of style of play, your choice of discs, and how well you compensate or adapt to different discs to find your liking.
enjoy!
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Return to Technique