Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 pm

JHern wrote:Yes, well I am going to try this when I get the chance, and focus on getting to the right pec even earlier with enough momentum to coil the spring of the wrist. I can almost "feel" (without having done it properly myself) the way that must feel, and the immense rip you get by doing things thusly.

I know what you mean... I feel like sometimes when I throw, that I've got a good rip, strong body position, nose down, the disc just takes off like I want and I feel like it should be really long... then it falls out of the sky around 350' or less. :(
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Just figured out bent arm vs inline throw...

Its so easy.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Timko » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:46 pm

Brad, does Barry have an in-line throw?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby DiscJay » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:03 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Just figured out bent arm vs inline throw...

Its so easy.

I could use some enlightenment on this if you could. Of course I could use enlightenment on a lot of things, but I think this would suffice for now, lol.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby MrScoopa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:34 am

I could use some enlightenment on this if you could. Of course I could use enlightenment on a lot of things, but I think this would suffice for now, lol.

This Might help:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15923
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby patdabunny » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Question for Bradley W--

I've watched all of your videos carefully and had a question or two. I noticed that your wrist is cocked a little more toward your chest as you're coming across into the hit. Is this to get the "head of the hammer" to a more leveraging position, or is it just "tendon bounce"? Is this what makes the difference in a lot of people's throws?

I've heard a lot of people discuss that you helped them. I'm using Masterbeato's "Work Backwards" technique and can throw (with audible snap for the first time) mids to about 250' without a run up or reachback (only to the beginning of the right pec). When I do this, my wrist is cocked pretty severely, to about 60 deg and maxing at close to 90 deg at the hit. I'm keeping everything loose until the very end. Is this about right? Does it sound like I've found something? It obviously will take more weeks of practice to get this down and to incorporate it into my game. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your hard work on all this! It's helping me and a bunch more enjoy DG more!

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby CHAS. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Hey Bradley would like to see your videos but my phone connection takes almost an hour to download a 3 minute vid. Can you burn a DVD and mail I would pay shipping and offer a donation?
CHAS.
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkryrie

Postby thuracine187 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:55 pm

CHAS. wrote:Hey Bradley would like to see your videos but my phone connection takes almost an hour to download a 3 minute vid. Can you burn a DVD and mail I would pay shipping and offer a donation?

There's always the library
thuracine187
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:54 pm

drledford93 wrote:Question for Bradley W--

I've watched all of your videos carefully and had a question or two. I noticed that your wrist is cocked a little more toward your chest as you're coming across into the hit. Is this to get the "head of the hammer" to a more leveraging position, or is it just "tendon bounce"? Is this what makes the difference in a lot of people's throws?

I've heard a lot of people discuss that you helped them. I'm using Masterbeato's "Work Backwards" technique and can throw (with audible snap for the first time) mids to about 250' without a run up or reachback (only to the beginning of the right pec). When I do this, my wrist is cocked pretty severely, to about 60 deg and maxing at close to 90 deg at the hit. I'm keeping everything loose until the very end. Is this about right? Does it sound like I've found something? It obviously will take more weeks of practice to get this down and to incorporate it into my game. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your hard work on all this! It's helping me and a bunch more enjoy DG more!

Daniel

I'll see if I can jump in until BW does - Yes, he's cocking his wrist a bit to get more leveraging. The tendon bounce happens as the wrist is bouncing open, not as it comes in.

Yes, I'd say you're onto something getting mids out to 250', audible snap means nothing about distance, it's just a symptom of your grip. Some people get it, some don't, some who do, don't all the time.

Yes, you keep everything loose until the end, then pull and tense.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm

DiscJay wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:Just figured out bent arm vs inline throw...

Its so easy.

I'd say yes - he's a straight reach back and straight through. He doesn't bend his elbow until he's bringing the disc into his pec area.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby CHAS. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:11 am

My local library never heard of a "Frisbee"
CHAS.
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkryrie

Postby Leopard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:31 am

you might be surprised the kinda snap you'd find on the average librarian.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby patdabunny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Leopard wrote:you might be surprised the kinda snap you'd find on the average librarian.

My wife is a librarian...and we have two kids, don't ya know! :lol:

Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby patdabunny » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:26 pm

black udder wrote:I'll see if I can jump in until BW does - Yes, he's cocking his wrist a bit to get more leveraging. The tendon bounce happens as the wrist is bouncing open, not as it comes in.

Yes, I'd say you're onto something getting mids out to 250', audible snap means nothing about distance, it's just a symptom of your grip. Some people get it, some don't, some who do, don't all the time.

Yes, you keep everything loose until the end, then pull and tense.

Thanks. I played a full round today (hard to do when your body aches badly) and was inconsistent at best in extending the wrist and making sure to concentrate on the speed at the hit. Once I did this, I INSTANTLY added 75' on my longest throw, back to back. Amazing. Plus, I can really feel the disc ripping out of my hand, instead of just going out of my hand--two different things. I will say that putting your hand in "handshake position" (vs your pinky parallel to your forearm) creates, for me, TONS of snap and in turn better throws. Mids, drives, and approach shots. I felt like Masterbeato when I almost hit two 100' upshots back to back using his "punch" technique.

Thanks for all the advice!

Daniel

patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Dan has said Blake advises learning in steps. I'd say that adding wrist extension is one of the harder things to get the timing on right. Thus, I'd leave that for later. If you can get other body parts in place and pull late, you'll get great results. Then when you figure you have those down, you can add some intentional wrist extension. If you miss with the wrist extension, you get a way early release or a way late release. If you just do the other stuff, you can get a pretty consistent release right where you aim.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

PreviousNext

Return to Technique