Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Postby patdabunny » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:52 am

black udder wrote:Dan has said Blake advises learning in steps. I'd say that adding wrist extension is one of the harder things to get the timing on right. Thus, I'd leave that for later. If you can get other body parts in place and pull late, you'll get great results. Then when you figure you have those down, you can add some intentional wrist extension. If you miss with the wrist extension, you get a way early release or a way late release. If you just do the other stuff, you can get a pretty consistent release right where you aim.

Since I've been seriously playing for 10 years, I had the accuracy down. I've added the wrist extension to get more power. It is a bit frustrating, as it did case a few early releases and occasionally a grip lock. I just focus as much as I can and by the end of the 27 holes I played, it was almost natural. It will take longer, but it is becoming part of my routine. (I learn pretty quickly.)
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby black udder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 pm

drledford93 wrote:
black udder wrote:Dan has said Blake advises learning in steps. I'd say that adding wrist extension is one of the harder things to get the timing on right. Thus, I'd leave that for later. If you can get other body parts in place and pull late, you'll get great results. Then when you figure you have those down, you can add some intentional wrist extension. If you miss with the wrist extension, you get a way early release or a way late release. If you just do the other stuff, you can get a pretty consistent release right where you aim.

Since I've been seriously playing for 10 years, I had the accuracy down. I've added the wrist extension to get more power. It is a bit frustrating, as it did case a few early releases and occasionally a grip lock. I just focus as much as I can and by the end of the 27 holes I played, it was almost natural. It will take longer, but it is becoming part of my routine. (I learn pretty quickly.)

I envy the learning quickly.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby josser » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 pm

black udder wrote:I envy the learning quickly.

This
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:08 am

Huh, just got around to watching the video and the second he took out the golf club I knew what he was talking about (I also play golf, have for around 10 years). I've gotta get out and try to get a feel for this, might end up drawing a dot on my discs to visualize it better. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

jubuttib wrote:Huh, just got around to watching the video and the second he took out the golf club I knew what he was talking about (I also play golf, have for around 10 years). I've gotta get out and try to get a feel for this, might end up drawing a dot on my discs to visualize it better. =)

Where is this golf club video?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby gretagun » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am

^ I believe he is referring to the snap videos Bradley made. I don't know if it's part 1 or part 2, but Bradley brings out a golf club in one of them.
Wizard>Roc>Leopard>Teebird>Orc>Firebird
gretagun
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:43 pm

gretagun wrote:^ I believe he is referring to the snap videos Bradley made. I don't know if it's part 1 or part 2, but Bradley brings out a golf club in one of them.

I believe it's part 1.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Claytoon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

You mean "ball" golf club, right?
He uses the ball golf club in the first video (posted page 1 of this thread) at about 5:00 minutes
Claytoon
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 pm

No, he uses a golf club. Golf is golf, disc golf is disc golf.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby turso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:46 pm

black udder wrote:I envy the learning quickly.
Wow. Man. What can I say? Today I took a review of your snap videos Mr. Bradley Walker. Well, bit lost for words here, words cannot adequately describe what I am feeling right now. I have been practising disc golf now on and off for two and a half months now. Yesterday I maxed around 330-350 with a surge on a flex line. Today I changed my grip to the one you describe on the videos and gripped it tighter. First round there was no improvement, I maxed out at around the same with the surge. Second round though I took a bit calmer approach and focused on the hammer motion. Snap. And I mean wow, I threw the surge on a golf line with unbelievably little effort to at least around 380. The second throw with an S-PD. Snap again. I threw it way too high, but longer than I had ever thrown before with that disc. What can I say man, I can't put the gratitude I have for your videos(and for everyone else here whose viewpoints have helped me)to words.

Yesterday I still was bit suspicious if the elusive snap was even a real thing, but today, well, still wow. I just took a huge step towards greater lengths today because of your videos, I hope this rant encourages you to keep doing the good work for all the plastic lovers out there.

-- Tuomas
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby jubuttib » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:46 pm

I was there collecting the discs. It's true. His consistency also was better than I've seen before. I might add that he hasn't really thrown discs at all before, so he doesn't have an Ultimate background or anything like that. Goes to show how quickly you can improve when you don't have years of bad habits weighing you down and get proper instruction from the start.

I also got a chance to test the hammer myself, along with the grip. I think the grip was more important than the hammer, because the grip was what enabled me to do the hammer. And I finally felt what has been said for so very long: The harder you grip, the harder the disc can be thrown. I threw around 380' with my S-PD, (up from about 350') and I think this was the first time I turned it over without torquing it. What perhaps surprised me the most was how my P-CD behaved when I threw it way way to high and nose up. It just went straight, straight, straight when before it would've faded out a long time ago (faded out eventually of course). It would still have been one of my longest throws before today, and now it was clearly a disappointment. And yeah, the harder I gripped the faster the disc flew out of my hand.

I can't say anything for averages because I only got around 4-6 throws after I "got it" before the lights went out, but suffice to say that all of those throws were longer than I've ever thrown before. Aiming was also easier and my trusty old P-DD that I had deemed too flippy to use properly anymore seemed like it was brand new, doing a nice s-curve, means some of my OAT also went away.

So yeah, thank you oh so very much everybody, especially Brad for everything you've done and continue to do for us. I don't know if this'll last, but I'm doing my everything to make it happen.

EDIT: Today (27.3.2010) we went again, pretty similar results after some warm up. He had one particular throw with an Echo Katana where everything seemed to click together, 430 feet.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby turso » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Aye, got the snap going again after some searching today. The katana indeed was quite a throw, my first over 400' and with a good 30' margin, managed to get surge up to around 20-25' short of the katana as well. I've started to understand why the snap seems so elusive for people, it requires quite a bit of timing to get it going without any special tricks, or so I've gathered so far. I can imagine it being hard to learn if you've played for years with form that doesn't properly support it, old habits are hard to kill. I have hopes that I might be able to teach this to the "average joe", have to use a friend of mine who fits the description as a guinea pig after I start feeling really certain about this, shouldn't take too long.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby elnino » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:36 pm

yeah where are the links to the videos again i would like to watch all of them and don't want to find them with the search function broken.....lowers head.
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:39 pm

elnino wrote:yeah where are the links to the videos again i would like to watch all of them and don't want to find them with the search function broken.....lowers head.

Links to the videos are in the first post. I suggest you get YouTube Downloader or something similar so they're always available where you can find them.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Banjar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I have a question:

On and off for the last month or so, I've sometimes let my grip get very loose. Almost to the point of the disc not even resting in the palm when I pull, but just hanging on my fingertips, following the palm of my hand by about an inch or less. When I do that, I feel... something. The edge of my disc bangs into my palm and rolls out of my hand hinging in the fingertip(s). I've tried to illustrate it.

Is this tendon bounce? Subjectively, it feels like the disc spins faster when it flies and behaves differently, but I'm not getting any significant distance increase (average D around 275-300 feet).

Also, when I hold the disc in the regular powergrip (pushing the rim into my palm with 4 fingers ), I dont feel the hit in my hand, and I'm wondering if I'm gripping too tight? With the loose disc I'm not getting very far around the disc during the pull (around 2 o-clock for me as lefty = 10 o'clock for you guys), and with the tighter grip, I dont feel it. I cant really seem to find an in between.

/Kristian
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

PreviousNext

Return to Technique