Snap 2009 (NEW video added)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snap 2009

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm

tumpsi wrote:Final part3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GswApPEfs (Ville throws an 475'ish forehand on the first tee of this vid btw.)

You mean 375.

this is 507

Garrett Gurthie 507 ft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n4z6Ni1fF0&feature=related

Uh... nothing alike.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:48 pm

"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 pm

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby tumpsi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
tumpsi wrote:Final part3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GswApPEfs (Ville throws an 475'ish forehand on the first tee of this vid btw.)

You mean 375.

this is 507

Garrett Gurthie 507 ft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n4z6Ni1fF0&feature=related

Uh... nothing alike.

I'd like to have some of your pills too. The trip seems quite awesome. You should come to europe and see if it's that hard to believe that we've got pretty much the best fore/overhead thrower in Finland (distancewise).
The hole is 446' and Ville shoots at least 30' long.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:22 am

I was thinking the same thing Brad.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 am

It looks like it's a little downhill (or across a basin from a hill). That might be what make it not look like it's over 450'.

Tumpsi, I do have a question about the putting though. They really don't seem to be putting well, which is not what I would expect when you look at their driving (across the board). I saw a little wind here and there, but was wondering if the wind was more of a factor than it appears. Not sure if you'd know or not, but figured I'd ask :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 am

tumpsi wrote:I'd like to have some of your pills too. The trip seems quite awesome. You should come to europe and see if it's that hard to believe that we've got pretty much the best fore/overhead thrower in Finland (distancewise).

Geoff Bennett
500' forehand power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7haXaVs_RM&feature=related

Please don't insult me because the throws you posted do not look like 500 foot throws. I am showing example of 500 foot throws. So, I am not on a "trip".
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:43 am

Brad is posting videos mostly of distance drives, which are not to be confused with line drives. there's a lot fewer videos of 500' line drives since it's much harder to throw 500' on a line drive. the flights of a 500' distance drive and 500' line drive are very different.

Ville can go 450'+ sidearm.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby tumpsi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:00 am

black udder wrote:It looks like it's a little downhill (or across a basin from a hill). That might be what make it not look like it's over 450'.

Tumpsi, I do have a question about the putting though. They really don't seem to be putting well, which is not what I would expect when you look at their driving (across the board). I saw a little wind here and there, but was wondering if the wind was more of a factor than it appears. Not sure if you'd know or not, but figured I'd ask :)

Yeah it was pretty windy. Also Ville is known as the worst 1000 rated putter. Joonas had a really tough day, he had a 10 stroke lead due to 1059 rated round on saturday, but ended up losing in a sudden death match to Juho and played only 967. Jesse & Joonas are one of the best putters in Finland, but they both had a very bad day. Juho is a good putter, not great. The hole is flat.

Blake_T wrote:Brad is posting videos mostly of distance drives, which are not to be confused with line drives. there's a lot fewer videos of 500' line drives since it's much harder to throw 500' on a line drive. the flights of a 500' distance drive and 500' line drive are very different.

Ville can go 450'+ sidearm.

Yep, and I've seen him throw over 475' multiple times, and he has thrown 525' on a field.

Bradley Walker wrote:
tumpsi wrote:I'd like to have some of your pills too. The trip seems quite awesome. You should come to europe and see if it's that hard to believe that we've got pretty much the best fore/overhead thrower in Finland (distancewise).

Geoff Bennett
500' forehand power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7haXaVs_RM&feature=related

Please don't insult me because the throws you posted do not look like 500 foot throws. I am showing example of 500 foot throws. So, I am not on a "trip".

Well, you didn't sound that nice to me neither. And this isn't the first time you go mental on me. I've thrown hundreds drives on that field, and I've played that hole dozens of times. I've made all my distance records there (not the exact same spot, but the same field). I'm very confident about the measures being right.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 am

tumpsi wrote:And this isn't the first time you go mental on me.

You are right I am going "mental". Stop taking everything so personal.

The truth is that this is a Snap thread and somehow it became a thread highlighting the players of Europe.

I simply posted throws of comparable lengths, and stated that the flights and hangtimes look nothing like the throws you posted. To me it is just odd that these throws of obviouly lower speed and height would be equivalent. The throws you posted simply did not look like 500' throws. Sorry if that personally offends you, it should not.

It also would not make any sense that if GG could throw 507 "on a line drive" he would do it. Why would he choose to throw a distance line?
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blink » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 am

I thought Avery and Guthrie were throwing over 600 when they put that much air under them. I'm pretty sure Avery can hyzer over 500.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby tumpsi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
tumpsi wrote:And this isn't the first time you go mental on me.

You are right I am going "mental". Stop taking everything so personal.

The truth is that this is a Snap thread and somehow it became a thread highlighting the players of Europe.

I simply posted throws of comparable lengths, and stated that the flights and hangtimes look nothing like the throws you posted. To me it is just odd that these throws of obviouly lower speed and height would be equivalent. The throws you posted simply did not look like 500' throws. Sorry if that personally offends you, it should not.

It also would not make any sense that if GG could throw 507 "on a line drive" he would do it. Why would he choose to throw a distance line?

Because it was a distance competition? 500' line drives are rare, but not impossible. And a forehand throw is much more speed dominated than backhand -> you can throw on a lower line if you got the oomph like Ville does.

I personally have thrown a few times over 500' on a distance line. It isn't something I can do on command, but something that I've got under my belt. I wouldn't be surprised if the big guns could do the same on a line.

Blink wrote:I thought Avery and Guthrie were throwing over 600 when they put that much air under them. I'm pretty sure Avery can hyzer over 500.

Those vids are shot at last years USDGC. Everyone threw ~100' shorter than normal due to calm wind and cold air. I wondered the very same thing when I first saw it. I too am pretty sure that Avery & co. can hyzer 500' on ideal conditions.
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby inacmind7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL2RNcy0 ... rofilepage

Avery supposedly throwing a 549' hyzer.
inacmind7
Noob

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Star Shark » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

tumpsi wrote:Those vids are shot at last years USDGC. Everyone threw ~100' shorter than normal due to calm wind and cold air. I wondered the very same thing when I first saw it. I too am pretty sure that Avery & co. can hyzer 500' on ideal conditions.

Yes, if you watch that vid shot from behind them closely, you can see their breath. It's that cold.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:31 pm

distance contests are different from regular throwing. kallstrom is one of the few that will throw normal line drives in a distance contest. the thing is, people aren't trying to throw 500' in distance contests, they are trying to throw 700'. each round also only gets 5 throws and it's within a time limit. the other thing is, huge line drives and huge distance lines don't happen all that often. it might take someone 30 tries to break 600' once, and often that once doesn't happen during their 5 tries.

yah, a lot of guys would probably do better if they threw one safety, but most are going for the best chance of hitting the big one (and there's no guarantee that their 1 safety shot is going to go far enough to matter).

conditions play a big part in distance contests. you find that when conditions are good, the overall distances are better in addition to the winning distances. when conditions aren't ideal you see much lower distances winning contests. from 1987 to 2001 the distance record grew from 612' to 712'. on one day in 2003 4 throws broke 712' (all with plastic that was available in 2001). that day was an ideal day. the difference between a 600' throw and a 650' throw is often just luck. a good or bad gust/swirl late in the flight can have a severe affect on the flight of the disc.

basically, in distance contests people go for it all because they know everyone else is too. also, while 500' is doable on a line drive, 700' isn't.

at 2004 worlds distance contest kallstrom's 5 drives in the finals all broke 520' and all were line drives. sandstrom won it with 631' and that was his only drive that broke 450' out of his 5 attempts. MDR won the advanced men @528'.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Technique