Wrist Down

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wrist Down

Postby akfrolfer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Okay, so all my throws should have my grip where my wrist is angled down 30 to 45 degrees then when i pull threw straight with this grip shouldn't my hyzer angle be 30 to 45 degrees also. If so how does one keep their wrist down and throw flat or anyzer etc?
akfrolfer
Noob

Postby Weebl » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:43 am

Nose down is achieved with correct grip orientation, with weight over their plant foot. I can garuntee you one of those 2 things are causing your nose down problems. If you have a correct grip and your weight is foward, you can't help throwing anything not nose down. Don't worry about straining to bend your wrist down, this prevents the natural coiling/uncoiling 'snap' durring your throw. Your Hand should be the last part to move from the pullback, in regaurds to timing, it should be (if using x-step) 1..2..3..4(pull) where your plant foot touches the ground on 3, and its a full count before you THINK about pulling through through (ok, well you should think about it, but your body should not reflect doing so). Your body should act similar to a slinky when you twist one end and there is a delay between when you twist and when the other end twists (think of a really old soft slinky, none of that new metal resiliencey bullcrap) your feet should lead your coiling starting the whole pullthrough in motion, then your feet will open up your hips building potential energy in this coiling. By now your plant foot is on the ground... Your hips then should lead your shoulders (sitting down, turn your chest to face left and then right without moving your feet, this motion can be very benefitial in a throw) coiling further. and catapulting your arm into a controlled whip of doom.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:00 am

That was a great description! I'll have to remember it for league tonight.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:05 pm

Controlled Whip of Doom, isn't that the new driver from Innova? :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Timko » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:54 pm

I want a "Controlled Whip of Doom" hotstamp on my discs. That, by the way, is one of the best descriptions of the order of events I've heard in a long time. I've recently begun to really understand everything my body is doing, and how to get my weight forward at the hit. I think I'll be using this description when aiding people in technique repair.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Arm Of Despair » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Weebl that was magnificent, and hysterical oh my gawd. That transcended mere prose, that's poetry! Bravo! Nicely done! You made my day.
Arm Of Despair
Noob

Postby Weebl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:56 am

Prose before hos. :idea:
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 pm

If so how does one keep their wrist down and throw flat or anyzer etc?

you should only be wrist down to the extent that the disc lies parallel to the forearm.

as for flat, anhyzer, etc. all these shots are BEST performed when the plane of the shoulders matches the angle that you wish to throw.

that is to say, to throw a pured 20 degree hyzer, at the reach back your right shoulder should be 20 degrees below your left shoulder and when you are facing the target (into the follow through) your right shoulder and arm should be 20 degrees above "flat".

for a 45 degree anhyzer, your right shoulder will likely be level (or slightly higher) with the left shoulder at the reach but at the faced up position your right shoulder will be lower than the left.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique