Sound of snap?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sound of snap?

Postby koronin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm wondering how I can tell if I'm getting good snap on a disc? I've never really measured how far I can throw and I play on courses that are pretty short, the longest hole is 305 feet.

I hear people talking about SNAP and hearing it but I'm a bit confused. I noticed once I started getting pretty good, I can hear a very audible PFFFFFFFFFFFFT when I throw for some distance, is this the sound people refer to?

Thanks all,

Jeffrey
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:03 pm

I think what you are looking for is more of an abrubt popping sound, made by the fingers springing back onto the palm after the disc ejects.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:36 pm

That is a snap sound, but not 'the' snap sound. The true audible snap sound comes from the disc as it's rocketing through the air. It dosm't sound like a 'snap' more of a PHHHHEOU
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:39 pm

The "whoosh" sound is probably the best auditory indicator of snap. People mistakenly associate the sound of your fingers ripping off the disc into your hand as a way to guage snap, but I find that dosen't work. Some of my throws with the loudest popping sounds have been my worst throws.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:43 pm

I have a very audible snap forehand, but its very rare for me to have a pop backhand. And when I do its because the disc slipped.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Terrence » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:16 pm

I'd call it a FFFTHUUMP sound. If't the sound when you time your grip strength with your pull though. The disc rips from your fingers. "Snap" is achieved by conciously and rapidly coiling and uncoiling the wrist during the throw just before release. Snap makes the disc spin more, therefore aiding the disc in flying straighter longer before it fades (that is assuming a flat backhand throw).
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby koronin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:08 am

Yeah, thanks all as I'm a little more encouraged now. With some discs I think I can really tell if I'm snapping it as they'll fade easier/earlier if I'm weak on the snap and others will hold a line or make an S curve if I give it a good spin.

Love the game....
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Terrence wrote:I'd call it a FFFTHUUMP sound.
That is the best written description of the sound out of everything posted here.

As for the finger popping noise, I think that depends a lot on the mechanics of the individual and may be related to grip. My brother, for example, generates this sound on pretty much all of his drives. For myself it is a rare occurance. It seems to show up more frequently with people who do generate tons of snap, but there are also plenty of people who make a shitload of snap and don't get the finger pop. In summary, I can agree with garbulator that the finger pop is not necessarily indicitave of everything clicking on a throw, but it is probably indicative of strong finger spring.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:55 pm

the popping sound of the fingers doesn't really indicate a whole lot as it's based more upon the stroke plane than anything else.

the audible sound of air being displaced IS a good indicator IF it is a throw of substantial distance and no flutter.

back before my injury i would get that sound on throws like:
wizard > 330'
roc > 350'
teebirds > 410'

an air displacement sound on anything shorter is generally caused by off axis torque.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique